Reading on your Android - different apps for different content

Jack in NC

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey y'all,

I like to read a lot on my Android devices (GNote II and Nexus 7) and over time I have evolved my use of different apps for different types of reading. I am curious if other folks approach reading on your device(s) similarly and, if so, what apps you use. Here's what I use:

Micro-form and long-form content
First, let me lop off both ends of the spectrum. For the smallest stuff I read, I use Falcon Pro for Twitter and the official app for Facebook. For the longest stuff I read, I use the Kindle app. I have some books from B&N, and may start using the Nook app, but anything I've bought new has been through Amazon. And, I'll probably buy something from Google Play Books sometime just to try it.

GReader Pro
I use GReader Pro for blogs. This is content for which I want all the headlines, but I probably only read 5-10% of the articles. Example: my Android category in Google Reader. I'll hit my Android list, or a local blog feed, for a few minutes several times a day and quickly swipe through the articles until I find stories I want to read. This is great when I have a few minutes to kill and just want to check in on the world.

Pocket
Fed with a healthy dose of IFTTT, I use Pocket like an industry journal, or hobbyist magazine. This is longer-form content that I mostly read in total. For probably 80%+ of the articles I feed in there, I read at least half before marking it read, and for most, I read the whole article. I like the page flipping feature, it makes the experience feel more magazine-like to me. I turn to Pocket at the end of the day when I am winding down.

Flipboard
I use Flipboard like it's People magazine. This is way more casual content that I just kinda meander through. If I skip it for a week, I don't care, but there are times that I just want to lose an hour or so with recipes, cute human interest stories and infographics. This is also end-of-the-day content, or sometimes first-cup-of-coffee content.

News360
News, nothing but. I read News360 like a newspaper (a really awesome newspaper).

ezPDF Reader
I download a fair amount of research papers and other long-ish PDF's. ezPDF Reader is my reader of choice. I like the page flipping here, too.​

How about you? What apps do you use that you think are better than the ones I've listed for my purposes? I'm an app-hound, always up for trying something new, let me know what I should try.

Have great weekend, y'all!

Jack

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey y'all,

I like to read a lot on my Android devices (GNote II and Nexus 7) and over time I have evolved my use of different apps for different types of reading. I am curious if other folks approach reading on your device(s) similarly and, if so, what apps you use. Here's what I use:

Micro-form and long-form content
First, let me lop off both ends of the spectrum. For the smallest stuff I read, I use Falcon Pro for Twitter and the official app for Facebook. For the longest stuff I read, I use the Kindle app. I have some books from B&N, and may start using the Nook app, but anything I've bought new has been through Amazon. And, I'll probably buy something from Google Play Books sometime just to try it.

GReader Pro
I use GReader Pro for blogs. This is content for which I want all the headlines, but I probably only read 5-10% of the articles. Example: my Android category in Google Reader. I'll hit my Android list, or a local blog feed, for a few minutes several times a day and quickly swipe through the articles until I find stories I want to read. This is great when I have a few minutes to kill and just want to check in on the world.

Pocket
Fed with a healthy dose of IFTTT, I use Pocket like an industry journal, or hobbyist magazine. This is longer-form content that I mostly read in total. For probably 80%+ of the articles I feed in there, I read at least half before marking it read, and for most, I read the whole article. I like the page flipping feature, it makes the experience feel more magazine-like to me. I turn to Pocket at the end of the day when I am winding down.

Flipboard
I use Flipboard like it's People magazine. This is way more casual content that I just kinda meander through. If I skip it for a week, I don't care, but there are times that I just want to lose an hour or so with recipes, cute human interest stories and infographics. This is also end-of-the-day content, or sometimes first-cup-of-coffee content.

News360
News, nothing but. I read News360 like a newspaper (a really awesome newspaper).

ezPDF Reader
I download a fair amount of research papers and other long-ish PDF's. ezPDF Reader is my reader of choice. I like the page flipping here, too.​

How about you? What apps do you use that you think are better than the ones I've listed for my purposes? I'm an app-hound, always up for trying something new, let me know what I should try.

Have great weekend, y'all!

Jack

Sorry Jack..... nothing new to add to your list except to say that ezPDF is by far the BEST reader I have ever used. Forget Adobe. EzPDF is awesome.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie