Traveling to Japan and Taiwan next week and Verizon's global data roaming is absurd (20 cents per meg prepaid, 20 dollars per meg if you exceed). So, I want to download maps in advance that will track my progress via gps (turn by turn nice but not a must have).

Google maps is deeply flawed at the moment, limited to 6 maps, that you can't save to SD, and not available for either Japan or Taiwan. Most searches for best map result in "best free app" or whatever. I don't mind paying a few bucks for something that's actually good. Sygic's interface looks nice, but no Japan. TripAdvisor thing looks good for tourism, but not much else, and doesn't cover Taipei.

Can anyone suggest an app for a decent price that is reasonable on battery use and can provide gps mapping thru most metro areas (Tokyo absence from most is baffling... 13.7M people!) without a data connection?

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    03-14-2013 11:06 AM
    Yes, I know your problem.
    20 dollars per meg is crazy even if you exceed!
    Google maps is useless.

MapsWithMe app is the best for me. Has all countries and all cities inside and works absolutely offline.
    It doesn't have turn by turn navigation.. But GPS works perfect.
    Had Lite version before - it was free. Last year I travelled to Japan. This app made my trip! I bought Pro for $4 or smth like that and I had offline search and all the POIs saved.
    Enjoy your trip!
    03-19-2013 04:55 AM
    Yeah!
    Found their website MapsWithMe - detailed offline maps of the World for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android and Amazon Kindle Fire
    I'm becoming a fun)
    I know some other nice apps that work offline, but the are good only for Europe, some for the USA.
    03-19-2013 04:59 AM