Hey everyone, so two times tonight I have gotten a notification in my notifications bar that reads, "Facebook has downloaded an update, click here to install." If I click on it, it tells me that my Facebook app is outdated and needs to be updated and below it has a few buttons, one of which is to "Install the new Facebook app." I went to the Play Store to see if I have Automatic Updating selected for the Facebook app, which I don't. I haven't followed any of the prompts that keep popping up in my notification bar since it sounds so sketchy. It doesn't seem like Facebook would start updating their app like that to me. Does this sound like malware to you all? I don't think I have any sketchy apps installed on my phone, and I certainly haven't pirated any apps. I'll to take a screenshot and post it if it pops up again.
    toolman83 likes this.
    03-14-2013 10:24 PM
    You're right that it sounds downright sketchy. You're seeing stuff like this, right? Sketchy Facebook update notification - Imgur

For what it's worth, long pressing that notification and selecting "App info" indicated that it did indeed come from the Facebook package. It's still really fishy, though.
    toolman83 likes this.
    03-15-2013 04:37 AM
    I'm getting that exact message and pop-up, also running cyanogenmod, never seen stuff like it...

Sooo, legit or dodge is the question...

I also get that message when I open Facebook, running 2.2.1, which is the current one...

Something hooked into the app, popping up prompts to install malware?

Sometimes it pays to be paranoid...

Thinking of nuking from orbit (it's the only way to be sure)
    03-15-2013 05:46 AM
    I don't think it is valid.... Said it needs wi-fi to download update build 140579...very fishy...
    03-15-2013 08:49 AM
    03-15-2013 01:38 PM
    If I can't get Facebook to update via the Play Store again like everything else, and it keeps nagging me, it might very well be the last straw. They've got no business downloading APKs and nagging me to sideload them.
    03-15-2013 03:30 PM
    Just saw that the AC guys made a post about it on the main website. I'm glad to see that it is indeed from Facebook and not a malware attack! Still weird, though. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the app this morning and haven't gotten another notification about it.
    03-15-2013 08:43 PM
    Just saw that the AC guys made a post about it on the main website. I'm glad to see that it is indeed from Facebook and not a malware attack! Still weird, though. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the app this morning and haven't gotten another notification about it.
    Think about all the Android Facebook App users out there that don't know about Android Central and have no clue how to get rid of this. Every thread started on here yesterday when people started getting the update, had at least 100 comments on them. Bad, bad Facebook.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    03-16-2013 01:54 AM