So, most of the google services (downloading apps, voice search/speech to text, etc) don't work when I'm connected to wifi. Today, I just realized that it's likely their using a port that my firewall configurations don't allow. So, does anyone know what port the Google services use? That way I can open it up my firewall to them.

Thank you.
    08-01-2010 02:11 PM
    Most modern routers that support uPnP configuration should work just fine with these services. I'd imagine that the majority of access is through SSL and HTTP (ports 443 and 80, respectively), but if you can browse the web you're not blocking these ports. Did you do something special to your firewall to lock down the security or are you just guessing that the firewall is part of the issue? What are you using for a firewall?

Remember, most of the things you've mentioned are initiated by the phone so a router should open the port up for you. It's when the network needs to "call" your phone that you may need to forward ports on your router to the phone.
    08-01-2010 07:10 PM
    I don't remember the brand that our firewall is, but I'll get it when I get home. Also, yes i do have those two ports open, and a large chunk of functionality does work. No, the firewall will not let devices open up ports, I need to do that manually (do to the way I have it set up). I dont know shot upnp though...but I wouldn't be surprised if it was disabled. Thank you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    08-02-2010 01:47 PM
    If you have access to unblock at the firewall level.. you should have access to the logs to see what app/service the port is requesting to go through..
    08-02-2010 02:59 PM
    You can also pay with OS Monitor, under the connections section you can see what your phone is doing. Obviously running TCPDump on the firewall or checking the logs is a much better solution for this.

However, it's rare that you actually want to restrict outgoing connectivity. There isn't much benefit since a lot of malware uses well-known port numbers to communicate (explicitly to circumvent the theoretical security like the kind you've imposed). Since your phone is largely connected without this firewall in place, you can also look into giving reserving an IP address for it in the DHCP server and then whitelisting its outbound traffic.
    08-02-2010 05:48 PM
    @sniffs I could do that, thanks. /me slaps himself.

@jdbower, I know, and I agree, but while I have access to the router, it's not actually my router, my network, nor my connection to the internet, and I've been asked not to do that. So, until I get around to getting my own router, plugging myself into that one, and the rest of the network into the router, (or until I go back to my college campus ), I'm stuck manually opening up ports when I need them. Oddly enough though, I already have so many ports open anyway, that even if the purpose was to prevent malicious software, the whole idea would be null anyway.
    08-02-2010 10:14 PM