Best Podcast App?

ConSeannery

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I am a new user, coming from years with itunes and ipods and iphones. (but before that winamp)

I've tried a few of the free ones so far and find them lacking. I want similar functionality to what I had with podcasts within itunes:

- ability to automatically download podcast. I don't stream podcasts because I listen to them in the car and do not have an unlimited data plan. So I want the podcast app to regularly check for new podcasts that I've subscribed to and download them on a schedule... once a day.
- ability to select to go get new podcasts
- ability to advance forward or go back some short time... 10 seconds or 30 seconds or 1 minute. I listen to some long podcasts like no agenda that are over 2 hours long and trying to advance by dragging the time cursor is too difficult for those ranges.
- ability to automatically delete the podcast after a certain period or after a certain amount of them. For example, just keep the latest 5 podcasts.
- sort the list of podcasts and then select an episode from the sorted list - some podcast players I've tried seem to just sort alphabetically or by my most recently downloaded.
- ability to use an rss feed
- work friendly with Entune in my toyota.
- work friendly with galaxy s4

Pocket Casts checks off all those requirements to a tee (except entune..good luck with that)...their app page has a feature list that ticks each off one by one (even specifying how many seconds you'd like to skip forward or backwards). Unfortunately it's $5, but as with all apps you can refund within 15 minutes. You won't find a free podcast app with your wanted features, I was looking for something similar a couple weeks back and there's nothing out there that doesn't kinda suck

Kha_liD

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm newbie to android devices. I've just bought a galaxy S4, and I found myself stuck to this annoying issue. I got piles of podcasts in my iTunes and my iPhone, and transferring them to my S4 is such a pain in the neck. With all available tools, I can only get them transferred to a folder in my SD card or phone memory. When playing them with an android podcast player, the text is not displayed. In my iPhone, I used to listen to ESL podcasts and read the scripts, for instance. I've installed BeyondPod, but it doesn't display the accompanying texts and scripts. I have tried some other apps, and they are the same.

Last edited:

Paul Rezendes

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm newbie to android devices. I've just bought a galaxy S4, and I found myself stuck to this annoying issue. I got piles of podcasts in my iTunes and my iPhone, and transferring them to my S4 is such a pain in the neck. With all available tools, I can only get them transferred to a folder in my SD card or phone memory. When playing them with an android podcast player, the text is not displayed. In my iPhone, I used to listen to ESL podcasts and read the scripts, for instance. I've installed BeyondPod, but it doesn't display the accompanying texts and scripts. I have tried some other apps, and they are the same.

Thats because the enhanced podcasts are an apple format that allows more info to be displayed in them on an apple device. I just made the switch to an HTC one and have the same gripe. So far I have found Pocketcasts to be my top choice though despite its lack of displaying the extra info.

bradlemmond

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I am looking for an app just to download podcasts. I don't want to use my phone to listen to podcasts, I want to continue using my MP3 player. I am currently using Podkicker, but when I export podcasts so I can move them to my MP3 player, it clears the memory in Podkicker of what I have already downloaded, so I have to try to keep track of which episodes I have downloaded. Also, the way it sorts them isn't consistent, eg it puts all of my How Stuff Works podcasts into one folder and doesn't display the full name, but some of the other podcasts into separate folders for each episode. I have a Galaxy S4 with Verizon.

Kha_liD

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
That's frustrating. Despite the fact I always heard about how powerful and incomparable iOS is, I wanted to try android. After using GS4 for a couple of weeks now, I regret buying it and I regret shifting to android.

pattersonme

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
You guys should definitely try TuneIn Pro.

Sent from my SGNote 2!

You have posted twice with no additional info on why we should try TuneIn Radio. I have tried it lacks the ability to add favorite podcasts on the fly.

Please respond with some specifics on why we "should definitely try TuneIn Pro."

mission_mode

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I like using PodKicker. But I only listen to one podcast regularly and I don't know if there are features I might not be taking advantage of.

Sent from my SM-T310 using AC Forums mobile app

Relletti

Trusted Member
Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I have been using pocket casts for about a month now and I must say I really enjoy it. Very simple and I like the UI a lot.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Another vote for Pocket Casts. The syncing is great. I can listen to a pod cast on my phone, then switch to my tablet and pick up where I left off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Amachete99

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site

Try Greader Pro, It is not a proper Podcast app, but It works for reading the sccripts whilst you listen to the podcast. I usually listen to the same podcast as you do, ESLPOD and others, for learning english...

I hope this works for you.

Umnik192

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys! I want to suggest another app. Astro Player. It is a really good app for podcasts and audiobooks. You can open any podcast from your SD card, you can subscribe to podcast and download them to your device. Also if your mp3 files consist of some lyrics or text, they can be read within the app. Though the default skin is not very user friendly, I advise you to switch to "Plain" skin. There are free and paid versions that differ only in some features. So you can try the free one and then decide whether to buy or not the full version.

sparoli

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
How does Pocket Cast find the podcasts I want? I listen to a radio show podcast, available thru their web site or ITunes (ugh) Will Pocket Cast be able to load from one of these places, or maybe from my computer? I hate to pay for it only to find it doesn't work. thxs

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
How does Pocket Cast find the podcasts I want? I listen to a radio show podcast, available thru their web site or ITunes (ugh) Will Pocket Cast be able to load from one of these places, or maybe from my computer? I hate to pay for it only to find it doesn't work. thxs

Try BeyondPod. You can do a search in the search bar at the top for what you want, and if you like it a lot you can decide if you want the paid version. Free version is good too.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

You can buy Pocket Casts and search for your podcast. If it isn't available you have the standard 15 minute window Google gives you to refund your purchase. Or, you can post what podcast it is and I can see if I can subscribe to it from Pocket Casts on my phone and let you know.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
PocketCasts Dev is foolish not to give a week or two week trial period. For me 15 minutes isn't long enough to decide if I need or want an app when there are a lot of competing apps in the same category.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

sparoli

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
You can buy Pocket Casts and search for your podcast. If it isn't available you have the standard 15 minute window Google gives you to refund your purchase. Or, you can post what podcast it is and I can see if I can subscribe to it from Pocket Casts on my phone and let you know.

Thanks regression. Podcast is the "Sarah and Vinnie Secret Show" Let me know if its a problem downloading it. If not I'll give pocket Casts a try and hope to decide in the 15 min window

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power