05-01-2013 08:27 AM
33 12
tools
    Just for the record, let me just say that none of the major email provider apps on Android sucks anywhere near as much as the Outlook.com app. You've never known major disappointment until you've tried that little piece of crap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    gnr_2 likes this.
    03-29-2013 06:44 AM
    BTW, here is what the AquaMail content widget looks like showing the "Smart Inbox" (and it's scrollable):

03-29-2013 06:56 AM
    This thread has taken a turn (like many others on AC). Not sure how arguing whether the iOS app is better than the Android app is helping the OP.
    LOL, I'm game for wherever the thread ends up becauseI think I've gotten enough help to find my way at this point. Or not find my way, really, but choose which way I want to go. I'm stuck with a separate Lotus Traveler app for work email, so those choices are basically either use Traveler and Aquamail and nothing else, or use Traveler along with the Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook.com, and Aquamail/stock email apps (for, respectively, my Gmail, free Yahoo-based, Outlook.com, and pay Yahoo-based accounts). Or all of the above and spend my time doing nothing but clearing notifications.

BTW, here is what the AquaMail content widget looks like showing the "Smart Inbox" (and it's scrollable):
    Yeah, Lotus Traveler has a couple scrollable widgets (I prefer having a work email widget over a personal email one). My beef with it is that there is only a 4x1 and a 3x3 -- I'd really like a 4x2 (or maybe even 4x3). Also, you are stuck with just sender name and subject -- there is no preview.
    03-29-2013 07:20 AM
    You'd think that, but it doesn't. It's not even close. The gmail Android app doesn't even have the basic functionality of the iOS version - things like being able to easily see all your folders, being able to move things from one folder to another, ability to easily switch between accounts, and deleting from the trash, not to mention the pure look of the app. I don't have an iPhone, I have an iPod touch and chose to get an android phone so clearly not an apple fanboy. Also, the Yahoo! Mail app is infinitely better than the GMail app and my comment was that if the Yahoo app could be used for gmail, it was a better option. As for Hotmail, I would hope it would be better on the windows phone because the android version sucks (it doesn't even mark messages read if you check later on a pc) and they don't have a iOS version - at least they didn't. I haven't checked in a while. Google didn't have an iOS app either and it hit a home run pretty much out the gate, clearly showing their lack of interest in improving the Android version. The only bad thing about the GMail iOS app is that it takes forever to load and you have to have a connection to see your mailbox where the Android mail can be accessed with or without a signal.

That's not an apt comparison because I was saying the gmail app for android sucks on an Android phone on an Android forum.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    Ah, well I misunderstood you then...

Still though, with the exception of being able to "permanently delete" items from the trash, I'm able to very easily do all those things you say the Gmail app cannot do? switching views to different labels and assigning labels to messages it quite easy; and I use 2 gmail accounts on my device and am able to switch between them by simply clicking on the top of the screen where my account name is. Perhaps you haven't used the gmail app in while? I'm not sure -- you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, but I personally think that gmail app on Android is the only way to go for gmail accounts.
    03-29-2013 08:58 AM
    This thread has taken a turn (like many others on AC). Not sure how arguing whether the iOS app is better than the Android app is helping the OP.
    My original comment was for the OP to use the Yahoo mail app if possible (as suggested by someone else) because it's better than the GMail app which in my opinion blows. Someone else asked me why I held that opinion and I explained it.

Ah, well I misunderstood you then...

Still though, with the exception of being able to "permanently delete" items from the trash, I'm able to very easily do all those things you say the Gmail app cannot do? switching views to different labels and assigning labels to messages it quite easy; and I use 2 gmail accounts on my device and am able to switch between them by simply clicking on the top of the screen where my account name is. Perhaps you haven't used the gmail app in while? I'm not sure -- you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, but I personally think that gmail app on Android is the only way to go for gmail accounts.
    Unless you've used the other version, you can't see how bad the Android version is. In my view the screen shots in the link show how polished the iOS version is. Just because it can ultimately handle the same tasks doesn't mean it's a good version when the task takes three steps versus one and the quality of the product produced is much worse. Case in point: if you ever used the generic "Facebook for mobile" - yes you could like or comment on posts but you had to do it using a plus sign on the side of the post that you had to scroll to and select, then it would show "like or comment" which you had to again select, then get taken to the posts page to comment. Same procedure just to read other existing comments. That's a lot more complicated than simply selecting like or just commenting from a box right beneath the post. Just because something is usable, doesn't make it good.

I have four accounts that use Gmail, actually 5 (can't use one on the android app, but can on the iOS app) and if I have WiFi , I use my iPod. The main reason I use the one on my phone is for sharing via email but will use it if I need to send a quick response or not on Wifi. If I could use something else, I would, which was what I suggested to the OP.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
    03-29-2013 11:06 AM
    Greetings from Nashville, TN! Problem: This morning because I was sick of the inability to use rich text in Gmail app on my Razr HD, I decided to change to the Email app. So I unchecked all of the Settings in the Gmail app, and entered my Gmail info into the Email app. Now, Email is receiving email from my Gmail account, but will not allow me to reply or write new emails. NOT ONE. I am consisting getting an error message that says: "Storage space is getting low. Service has been disabled." I tried clearing the cache on many programs, which seems ridiculous since I had no problem creating or replying to email when using the Gmail app. I also powered off and powered back on after a cup of coffee to settle my aggravation ;-) I don't know what to do next. I really want access to a rich text editor for email purposes. Thanks, and if I have posted in the wrong location, I would appreciate a gentle nudge in the right direction. Janice
    04-21-2013 12:27 PM
    Did you pull a lot of Gmail emails into your Email program when you set it up? Perhaps those combined with your regular mail ones have pushed it to the limit. Maybe shorten the number of days set for Gmail sync (just a guess).
    04-22-2013 11:32 AM
    I mentioned above that the Outlook.com app sucks horribly. They updated it a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone else tried it? It's better, but that's definitely relative -- it's still bad. The font size for sender names in the inbox is gigantic and can't be changed, you can't set a display name for your outgoing mail, and when you open a new email, all you see is blank space in the body of the email unless you swipe out of it and then back in. The developers MS used for this must have spent most of their time engaged in bonging competitions. Wish I could get a gig ripping off MS like that.
    05-01-2013 08:27 AM
33 12