Tasker on Sale for $1.99 on Google Play.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This is like an automation app correct?

Yep. I picked it up a day ago when I saw this thread about it being on sale. Basically you create "tasks" which are a list of "actions". There are a ton of actions that can be completed (too many to list here). Then you create a "profile" which is basically a set of rules of how to complete a task. You have a ton of options of which types of rules you can create.

You can see some examples of profiles others have created here: Profiles - Tasker Wiki

Here are the ones I've created for myself:

1) When headset is unplugged, media volume is muted to prevent it making unintentional noise.

2) If I miss a call from my wife between 8am and 5pm during work days, it automatically sends a text saying that I'm in a meeting. I didn't want to base the event on my calendar (which I could have done) because sometimes people come into my office and we have impromptu meetings.

3) If I tap-and-hold the camera button, a menu will appear with my favorite phone contacts. Tapping the menu item will call the person. There are also menu items for launching the dialer app, camera app, and camcorder app.

4) Speaking of camera...this is probably my favorite profile. If I turn my phone into landscape orientation (clock-wise), it automatically launches the camera app.

5) On Saturday and Sunday between 8am and 11:30pm, I turn the ringer volume all the way up. I usually like having the ringer on during the weekend.

6) When I'm near my home (based upon cell towers near my home), I turn on WIFI. If I leave my home, WIFI turns off. You can also use GPS for this type of profile, but it would eat up more battery. Using cell towers won't eat up any additional battery. But I'm still determining whether this profile will work properly.

7) If I'm in a meeting at work, I mute the ringer.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I too purchased tasker because its on sale. But is there a video guide on it. It seems fairly complex and I couldn't even figure out how to make a simple profile.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It looks like there are some guides on YouTube (search for "tasker android"), but I'm guessing they're probably based upon the old (pre-Holo) UI design, so not sure if they would be helpful.

The app definitely has a learning curve. There are a ton of options and not everything is super intuitive (ex. how to create an exit event), but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

seanlongoria

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought Tasker on sale but I'm saving it for my next phone. I'm using a Droid RAZR with smart actions, which is enough automation to do what I want for now. I know smart actions is exclusive to moto phones, but it beats Tasker by miles on ease of use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Yep. I picked it up a day ago when I saw this thread about it being on sale. Basically you create "tasks" which are a list of "actions". There are a ton of actions that can be completed (too many to list here). Then you create a "profile" which is basically a set of rules of how to complete a task. You have a ton of options of which types of rules you can create.

You can see some examples of profiles others have created here: Profiles - Tasker Wiki

Here are the ones I've created for myself:

1) When headset is unplugged, media volume is muted to prevent it making unintentional noise.

2) If I miss a call from my wife between 8am and 5pm during work days, it automatically sends a text saying that I'm in a meeting. I didn't want to base the event on my calendar (which I could have done) because sometimes people come into my office and we have impromptu meetings.

3) If I tap-and-hold the camera button, a menu will appear with my favorite phone contacts. Tapping the menu item will call the person. There are also menu items for launching the dialer app, camera app, and camcorder app.

4) Speaking of camera...this is probably my favorite profile. If I turn my phone into landscape orientation (clock-wise), it automatically launches the camera app.

5) On Saturday and Sunday between 8am and 11:30pm, I turn the ringer volume all the way up. I usually like having the ringer on during the weekend.

6) When I'm near my home (based upon cell towers near my home), I turn on WIFI. If I leave my home, WIFI turns off. You can also use GPS for this type of profile, but it would eat up more battery. Using cell towers won't eat up any additional battery. But I'm still determining whether this profile will work properly.

7) If I'm in a meeting at work, I mute the ringer.
I tried setting up a bunch of things in AutomateIt, which is free, and couldn't figure it out. You could even download ones that other people had made, and I still couldn't understand what needed to be done to make them work for me. Think I just need to use NFC tags. Of course, those still have to be programmed as well. I would suggest trying AutomateIt first, since it's free and it goes step by step (like a wizard) to help you set things up. Then, if you like it, buy the add ons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781