Looking for a good feed reader

void.pointer

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for an RSS reader for my Samsung Captivate. I have a few specific requirements, though, and I don't want to purchase anything until I know for sure they support it:
  1. Must support sync with Google Reader
  2. Typically each of my feeds contain 500+ items at any time. As I read through it, I skim the titles to see which ones I'm interested in and I read those. I need a feature that lets me mark a range of items as read, that way the next time I visit that feed I can start where I left off. This is a feature I have not found in any feed readers out there. The web version of google reader comes the closest, since it lets you view only 15 at a time, I can mark 15 as read at a time.
  3. Must have an option to hide read items or empty feeds (I'm only interested in unread/updated items and feeds)
  4. Syncing should be very quick over 3G

Anything out there that supports this? I've tried gReader but it sucks REAL bad. Items I read on gReader do not get marked as read online at Google Reader. I've heard that FeedR and NewsRob are two of the best ones for Android. Do either of them meet my requirements?

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I love NewsRob
Must support sync with Google Reader
Very Easily- only works with google reader as far as I know.
Typically each of my feeds contain 500+ items at any time. As I read through it, I skim the titles to see which ones I'm interested in and I read those. I need a feature that lets me mark a range of items as read, that way the next time I visit that feed I can start where I left off. This is a feature I have not found in any feed readers out there. The web version of google reader comes the closest, since it lets you view only 15 at a time, I can mark 15 as read at a time.
Not a problem as far as I can tell. I don't have that many unread articles in the feeds I typically read but you can set how many articles to store locally.
Must have an option to hide read items or empty feeds (I'm only interested in unread/updated items and feeds)
yes- it does hide read feeds/articles at your discretion. Quick access to toggle between unread and all is included.
Syncing should be very quick over 3G
Yes and you can set what exactly is synced- I.e., article, web page, pictures, etc. it's very customizable. I love NewsRob

void.pointer

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Not a problem as far as I can tell. I don't have that many unread articles in the feeds I typically read but you can set how many articles to store locally.

Thanks for your answers. However, I'm not sure how changing the number of articles to store locally addresses this concern. Do you mean to imply that if I, for example, set only 10 articles to store locally for a specific feed, I have to re-sync to get another 10? If so, I don't really like that. What I would prefer is a "Mark all above this article as read" or a system where I choose 2 articles (start and end) and it marks everything in between as read.

Anything like this in Newsrob or other readers?

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I've tried a bunch of RS readers that work with Google Reader and keep coming back to just using Google Reader itself within the browser as the best solution for me.

If you want to have it feel like an APP, just make a shortcut to it on your home screen.

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
In the settings, you can choose how many articles are to be synced and kept locally- up to 1000 it looks like. It doesn't look like you can set an amount per feed.
As for teh mark all above this as read, you can batch mark as read but that might be available in the pro-version. right now, I don't think yoiu can batch mark multiple articles as read, just "up to here"
it's a free app, so why don't you just give it a try and see if it works for you.

woodsb123

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I used to use NewsRob, but, have started using another one which I like alot better. It's called Greed2. Not only does it sync flawlessly with Google Reader's newsfeed, it also sync the "Starred" Google Reader Items separately as well. Give it a try. It seems to be exactly what you are looking for.

bwaldron

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I've tried a bunch of RS readers that work with Google Reader and keep coming back to just using Google Reader itself within the browser as the best solution for me.

If you want to have it feel like an APP, just make a shortcut to it on your home screen.

Same here. I do wish I could change the font size, but otherwise I've found that the mobile site works the best for me after trying a number of RSS reader apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae