Any word on an update for Gmail app??

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I've read with froyo there is a update copy n paste and some other fluff. but that is the only update I know about.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if there is any word on an update coming out soon for the Gmail app?

It would be nice to be able to save attachments... maybe show the total number of undread e-mails over the gmail icon on the home screen... ect...

I guess I don't understand what you mean by not being able to save attachments. Mine certainly does that.

posguy99

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
really? very new to android, do you know the names of any off hand?

GMail Unread Count, which only handles GMail.
SMS Unread Count, which despite its name handles SMS, GMail, and the dialer.

You know, this is why the Market has a search feature.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

You know, this is why the Market has a search feature.

i understand the function of the market search feature, but i figured that perhaps some friendly help here would narrow my search. thanks. i actually found them earlier.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

+1 for SMS Unread Count. I actually used Gmail Unread Count and loved it until I found the widget for dialer and SMS as well.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I understand and have all the "apps" i need to have this functionality.. but why should I need an app to do something that should be built in??

these devices are more a computer than a phone and should have the ability to save ANY attachment without needing some 3rd party app installed...

Again - my gmail app saves attachments just fine.

irish22022

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, saving attachments hasn't ever been a problem. Not sure what phone you have, but they can all do it for sure. I have a Droid X on 2.1. You're new to android, so I'm guessing you have an incredible or an X. Just click the settings button (to the left of the home key). It should give you the option to save the attachment. You can also long press the link of the attachment to save, I believe.

SMS popup will take care of your other needs. I use handcent, which also does that, but it changes the stock messaging app (however, many prefer handcent over the stock messaging app, you should try it out... it's really cool, pop-up bubbles, and really customizable).

derekj

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Again - my gmail app saves attachments just fine.
Your Gmail app saves attachments, or your Gmail app OPENS attachments in Docs to Go, or Office to Go, and those apps save the attachments? I don't see any way to save attachments in the gmail app - the only option I have is to Preview, but the doc opens in a separate app. Not the same.

derekj

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, saving attachments hasn't ever been a problem. Not sure what phone you have, but they can all do it for sure. I have a Droid X on 2.1. You're new to android, so I'm guessing you have an incredible or an X. Just click the settings button (to the left of the home key). It should give you the option to save the attachment. You can also long press the link of the attachment to save, I believe.

SMS popup will take care of your other needs. I use handcent, which also does that, but it changes the stock messaging app (however, many prefer handcent over the stock messaging app, you should try it out... it's really cool, pop-up bubbles, and really customizable).
Your confidence that all android phones can save attachments in the Gmail app runs counter to what a lot of people are experiencing (http://forum.androidcentral.com/android-applications/12635-adroid-email.html)

My gmail app only gives me a "download" option for image attachments (whoop di do). When i get a Word file or a PDF attachment, I only have the option to "preview", and then the file opens in Doc to Go or Office to Go. From there, I can save the attachment, but it isn't the Gmail app that is doing it.

Likewise, when I compose email in the Gmail app, if i want to add an attachment, the only option it gives me is my photo albums.

Long-pressing does nothing, and there is no attachment-related setting under the Gmail settings.

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
The stock gmail app (at least on the EVO) will NOT save the attachment if it does NOT know what kind of file it is (unknown extension or unsupported extension)
An example of this are my many many mobipocket ebooks with the prc extension.
If I email the book to my gmail account, I have to open gmail via the web browser and then I can save the attachment.

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Search the Market for "Attachment 2 SD". It will let you save the attachment to the SD card and it's only few KB in size.

For the GMail, SMS, etc... count, you can also use LauncherPro. It will replace your default launcher with lots of useful features including the unread count in the dock (that icon has to be in the dock). One more feature I love is that you can customize and differentiate between tapping an icon in the dock and swiping it. You can assign a different action/shortcut to swipe so the icon serves 2 purposes. For example, tapping on Gmail will open Gmail, but swiping the same icon opens the Compose window of Gmail or launches your favorite Todo app or etc... All customizable.

As for why not have all these features built in since they seem so standard to you, well my standard differs from yours and both of us differ from the rest of the world. The unread counter seemed very necessary when I used to have an iPhone since it does not have a notification bar. With that, I don't feel an unread counter is all that important. Try it. Wait till you get few emails and with the Email icon showing in the notification bar, just slide it and it will tell you how many new emails you have.

The idea is that an OS should be kept minimal and anything extra you need is readily available under your fingertips few taps away. If Google is to incorporate every little feature that every person sees as "standard", then the OS will turn into bloat ware and will render slow and unusable. Even Microsoft just realized that in Windows 7; they kept some of their extra software as a separate download.

Just my $0.02

/rant

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781