Swype feature request thread..

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
I've seen the beta threads and many threads specific to a certain carrier/manufacturer integrated version. I'm hoping we can all chime in what we generically would like to see as RFEs across the board for Swype. My short list:

- User dictionary editor so you can see ~all~ words, typos, etc. added at once without having to re-type them, Swype, then delete them.

- Automatically two-space periods ala BB and ShapeWriter.

- Per apps permissions or some developer API so that apps can disable the Swype dictionary addition features. Specifically I'm talking about the annoyance of now having awk, gawk, lsof, etc. etc. UN*X commands in my dictionary now because I also use CLI apps. If either Swype could maintain a DB where the user can add apps not to record in or provide a simple plug so developers can tell Swype not to record that'd be great. This would also help potentially w/ the ~PASSWORD~ storing problem.

That's my top three.... hope y'all will chime in and then after a while I'm going to post and submit over at Swype the consolidated list if nobody objects. Cheers, -Pk

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I'd like the option to use the voice to text feature my phone has from the Swype keyboard, ala the stock keyboard.

Also a way to bring all the smilies back, instead of having to type out the colon and parentheses, a page from the Swype keyboard with all the smilies listed out.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I'd love to be able to use Swype on portrait and the stock keyboard on landscape. Too much finger travel for Swype on landscape.

UserNamer#AC

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Also a way to bring all the smilies back, instead of having to type out the colon and parentheses, a page from the Swype keyboard with all the smilies listed out.

Mine has selectable smilies if the Swype keyboard is open on my Captivate and I click "Menu | More | Insert Smiley". Seems to have 17 or 18 options. Or did I misunderstand your request?

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
This might actually be a bug, but I've noticed that occasionally when I double tap a word to select the whole thing to delete it, it doesn't actually delete the whole word, only one letter. It doesn't happen all the time, but once in a while.

Anybody else have this issue?

eyesparky

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think the manufacturer installed version of Swype is a different beast than the Beta version. Most of the issues with the Beta seem to be answered in retail installs such as microphone button, far wider language support etc. Personally, using the Beta version, my number one desire would be to have the UK Engilsh dictionary available (frustrating, as the version exists, just not for Beta users).

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
Thanks for all the comments.. a few visits to carrier stores and I'm putting together differences between versions from each manufacturer and carrier. Consolidating and will post here after a few more days of comments to get over to Swype. -Pk

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
After UserNamer pointed out the smilies under menu options, I tried it out. I have been checking it out over the past few days, and I have not figured out if there is a pattern or not, but it only works on my Dinc, occassionally. Sometimes it is there when I touch the menu key, other times, touching the menu key does nothing.

So maybe it is a Beta issue, or a Dinc issue, or.....?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC