Maybe there is something that I'm missing that someone can help me understand. Why is it that great applications such as Places Directory or Where for example, ONLY use the GPS setting...?

The reason why I ask is because I travel alot and would LOVE to do a little pre-planning at the locations that I'll be traveling to.

I think the GPS locale should be an option, but not the only option.. It would be great if it would allow you to enter a Zipcode, or City, State, OR enable GPS. This just seems like a "no-brainer" to me, so I'm thinking there has to be a reason why they dont do it.

Before anyone asks, yes, I have suggested this to some of the developers at the sites. No response back though...

Any thoughts...?
    08-06-2010 05:00 AM
    My thought is cross compatibility with various breeds of cell towers (cdma, gsm, iden), in addition to location positioning issues. Basically, reduce user complaint.

There's other apps that will attempt to use just network positioning, such as Google Places Directory and Yelp. Just don't depend on a non-gps-enabled app to be able to give accurate accounts of what is nearby on a cdma network!
    08-06-2010 05:09 AM
    Hmmm... I guess I'm a little confused by your answer with regards to cell towers and the various networks.

If I type in a zipcode, city or state... or the exact address of the location where I will be at, what does the cell tower have to do with the referencing a master database of business or locations in that area...?

For example, what is the difference if I'm at the Hilton in CA, 37581 with my phone and GPS on and search for locations.... or if I'm currently in Texas and I want to type in the Hilton in CA 37581 and search for locations in that area...

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just trying to understand the logic behind the development of these applications...

Thanks...
    08-06-2010 06:20 AM
    I agree with the OP. These location info apps should have the ability to at least input a zip code or city/state to get information.

There was a radar app that I uninstalled because it would never let me choose anything other than the current GPS location. Heaven forbid I'd want to see radar info for somewhere else.
    08-06-2010 07:13 AM
    Maybe there is something that I'm missing that someone can help me understand. Why is it that great applications such as Places Directory or Where for example, ONLY use the GPS setting...?

The reason why I ask is because I travel alot and would LOVE to do a little pre-planning at the locations that I'll be traveling to.

I think the GPS locale should be an option, but not the only option.. It would be great if it would allow you to enter a Zipcode, or City, State, OR enable GPS. This just seems like a "no-brainer" to me, so I'm thinking there has to be a reason why they dont do it.

Before anyone asks, yes, I have suggested this to some of the developers at the sites. No response back though...

Any thoughts...?
    Most GPS apps assume that you are going to be using GPS, so it will use it for accurate location determination. If you want to search by city, just use google search or even Google Maps with GPS off and you'll get good results.

Personally, I love the fact that my search is determined automatically by my exact location. If I had to type my postal code (assuming I knew what it was for the are I was in) or city, I would find it to be too inconvenient, especially while in a car.
    08-06-2010 07:15 AM
    Who says its a gps application...? I agee with you that in the car it should use the gps if you want it to. However, there are other destination locations that maybe of interest other than where your phone is located.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    08-06-2010 08:17 AM
    Who says its a gps application...? I agee with you that in the car it should use the gps if you want it to. However, there are other destination locations that maybe of interest other than where your phone is located.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I don't use the Places Directory, but if you can type in keywords for your search, you should be able to enter in the city + keyword to get results for that location. I do this all the time with several apps and there's never been a problem.
    08-06-2010 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD