Personal Locator

jhw1009

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I am new to this forum and wonder if someone can help. I am looking for an Android application that can locate a person. I mean locate her physical location. Since she cannot talk and if she carries the cell phone (say Android phone) and wandering around the neighborhood, I can call her to locate her or via other means. Thanks

jhw1009

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that you can do this with verizon. Family locator or something it is called. Its not an app that I know of. Of course you would have to be on the same plan, so if you are, this could be what your looking for.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I think you could just use Google Latitude (just sign up through the Google maps app). Once she's signed up, you "friend" her and then her current location just shows up on your map.

This is assuming of course that she keeps signed in to Latitude with her profile visible.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
If she has an Android phone, you could install Where's My Droid (Free app in Market). There are two "pass phrases" you configure for this app. 1) to turn the ringer volume up and ring the phone (in case it's lost and you are looking for it), and 2) to reply to your txt mssg with a google map link that shows you the current GPS coordinants. For #2 to work, her phone would have to have a GPS connection, which doesn't always work if indoors. It works like a charm and gives you the added benefit of locating the phone if lost or stolen.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Sprint had a family locator capability, too. But Latitude will probably do what you want, with no extra software needed. You'll just have to be sure that latitude is started and the GPS on her phone is always turned on.

Brian38501

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
There is also an app in the Market called LifeAware that my family uses and it works fairly well. You can locate each other either from your phones or a PC.

jhw1009

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have a chance to come back my thread for a week and is surprised to see all the good recommendations. I will investigate some of them. I do have Sprint/EVO so it makes sense to use Sprint locator and other apps available. This is my wife and she has Alzeheimer (very early at her age) for several years so this may be the apps I can use in case she is lost when we travel (it happened a few times and scared me). I appreciate all your inputs thus far and will report back soon.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have a chance to come back my thread for a week and is surprised to see all the good recommendations. I will investigate some of them. I do have Sprint/EVO so it makes sense to use Sprint locator and other apps available. This is my wife and she has Alzeheimer (very early at her age) for several years so this may be the apps I can use in case she is lost when we travel (it happened a few times and scared me). I appreciate all your inputs thus far and will report back soon.

I feel like an ***. I hope that you find an app that suits your needs. I lost my favorite aunt to early onset Alzheimers. Good luck with your wife.

Sundown

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Check out Instamapper.com. I can't remember what the android app that goes with it is right off hand, though. Anyway, it can automatically update location at a set interval you choose, remote polling, remote activation, and viewable via web interface. One caveat though, it will chew through your battery if it's updating too frequently. I turn it off when I don't need it, and turn it on when I want. I work on a helicopter, so I like that it updates my coordinates, altitude, speed, and heading every 5 minutes (what I have it defaulted for), so my wife can see that we're still alive and flying safe. Kind of her little way of flight following.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith