Why "status" is important:
    Person A has 20 contacts. They need something that 5 of them can help with. 2 of those 5 are currently "NOT BUSY". Send the question to the 2 that are available. Question gets answered sooner. Bingo.
    Person A has 20 contacts, and needs Person B to answer a question. Person B is busy. Person A knows to expect an answer LATER, and sends the message anyway.

This is great for people with JOBS who are busy, and people who need to stay CONNECTED.

Why SMS is important:
    Every human with a cell phone has the ability to send and receive them. Period. End of discussion.

Why Emojis are NOT important.
    Children need cartoon horses in their messages. If I wanted a toy, I would have bought a freaking Gameboy. My phone is for talking to people. Things that let me know who is Busy and Available is HELPFUL. UBIQUITOUS messaging is HELPFUL. Sending me a message with an animated winking blob is how I know that you are a a moron, a child, or my significant other.

End of speech.
    Attached Thumbnails New Hangouts is a children's app-rbl7gm38jsm6pt3l.jpg  
    Theot likes this.
    05-19-2013 09:19 PM
    p.s.

If you want to fix this, just open Hangouts, and contact +Dori Storbeck and +Ben Eidelson. Just type in their name. It'll show up! People you don't even freaking know will just show up... And if you send them a message, they will get a message request. You can contact anyone! Someone can just type in random names, and if they like your picture, they can send you requests.

That is so stupid, I can't even wrap my head around the thought process that went behind this... It is honestly like a group of 10 year old girls picked out the features.
    05-19-2013 09:27 PM
    Why "status" is important:
    Person A has 20 contacts. They need something that 5 of them can help with. 2 of those 5 are currently "NOT BUSY". Send the question to the 2 that are available. Question gets answered sooner. Bingo.
    Person A has 20 contacts, and needs Person B to answer a question. Person B is busy. Person A knows to expect an answer LATER, and sends the message anyway.

This is great for people with JOBS who are busy, and people who need to stay CONNECTED.

Why SMS is important:
    Every human with a cell phone has the ability to send and receive them. Period. End of discussion.

Why Emojis are NOT important.
    Children need cartoon horses in their messages. If I wanted a toy, I would have bought a freaking Gameboy. My phone is for talking to people. Things that let me know who is Busy and Available is HELPFUL. UBIQUITOUS messaging is HELPFUL. Sending me a message with an animated winking blob is how I know that you are a a moron, a child, or my significant other.

End of speech.
    My sentiments exactly. We have an internal IM system at work that does the same thing, shows status and if they aren't on you know to call or email that person. I use talk the same way with my wife and a couple friends. Wife uses GMail for work, so we use talk to communicate during the day so we don't have to text and she has an iphone. If she's not on, I know to text or call her if I need something.
    05-20-2013 09:41 AM
    My sentiments exactly. We have an internal IM system at work that does the same thing, shows status and if they aren't on you know to call or email that person. I use talk the same way with my wife and a couple friends. Wife uses GMail for work, so we use talk to communicate during the day so we don't have to text and she has an iphone. If she's not on, I know to text or call her if I need something.
    You can use IM+ and do what hangouts was supposed to do. I don't because it doesn't have SMS, and I don't want yet another app. But it is a good one, and you can have Skype, Google, and Facebook on it.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-20-2013 02:07 PM