So for anyone with a droid x... I followed some tips i found here to try and help with battery life so I installed auto killer. I set it to "extreme" but have noticed that my free memory hovers around 60...which in my experience is pretty slow and buggy... I'm just wondering if this is what everyone is experiencing or if people are finding that auto killer manages to keep more mem free.
    08-10-2010 07:55 PM
    Mine is set at ultimate mine may go down to 60mb but bye no means does mine get slow or buggy.
    08-10-2010 08:10 PM
    My free memory looks like wasted memory - I've got 1.7 TB on my 2 TB drive on my computer, if I only needed 500 MB I'd guy a smaller hard drive. I'm not concerned about free memory as much as I care about running out. Given the app size the 54M I've got free is far more than I need.
    08-10-2010 08:16 PM
    Honestly I hover around 150, but sometimes I am at 200. I also followed the guide to use autostarts and to rename bloatware so that might be why. I am never less then 150 and that is with a live wallpaper and everything. Oh I am on the highest setting 200-250 also on autokiller
    08-10-2010 09:59 PM
    Weird. I also did autostarts and renamed bloatware and today I started the day at around 150 and have just gradually dropped down to 55-60 for much of the day! I can't see what it is that's eating so much memory. I did see like 6 entries in the services section for com.motorola.blur... That were all for 15 mb each. Not sure what they are tho
    08-11-2010 09:19 PM
    I'm no expert on this, but I figured that the more aggressive settings might end up causing a hardware conflict trying to always keep so many things closed in order to have tons of free mem, but the phone also wanting to have a number of moto services running. So I set mine at optimum, and it keeps around 60 to 70 meg free. No sluggishness at all.

Did you also install SetCPU? I think that's the real battery saver. You can set your profiles to kick the cpu down to 300 when the screen is off. Why not...your not using it if the screen is off. You can also bump the cpu down a little at certain battery levels, like 800 under 40% and 600 under 30%. It can really help you stretch those last bits of juice into many more hours of use.
    08-11-2010 09:59 PM
    Only having 50mb to 100mb of RAM free is okay and by design.

On Android too much freed up RAM is a bad thing. It means that programs aren't being held in RAM ready for when they are needed.

I wondered the same thing and then did some research. It seemed I always had 50MB or RAM free which bugged me. Turns out that's not necessarily a bad thing.

So bottom line is I wouldn't stress it. I only manually kill a process if I think it's out of line, (E.g. Slacker was keeping my phone awake 100% of the time). Rarely have I noticed a process getting out of line though.

Here's a good article breaking it down:
    Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way
    08-11-2010 10:11 PM
    It's 11:45 pm and after a full day of regular usage I'm still at 40% with autokiller and setcpu. I'm happy with that!
    08-11-2010 10:47 PM