Database app for android?, What would you recommend for cataloguing DVD/Cd's?

Arty Marty

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I am after a good DVD/CD database app for android.
I have a lot of movies, and they are taking up too much space in my cupboard, so I want to take them out of their cases and put them in a DVD file - but to find them, I need to be able to search the name, and it tell me the disc number...

Search by category's/genera would be good too...

Any ideas?

Warmly, Marty

hatfield

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I do a lot of work with databases in my real estate business. There's not many good choices for databases in Android and I've searched quite a bit. I'd have to say your best bet would be Memento. It has a good looking interface plus you can build your database in Excel and import it. A lot easier to do that way.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
IMO use Excel + Documents To Go.

why got locked into some mom & pop developer's closed black box locked proprietary format?

use Excel which is an open standard which can be opened from virtually any device on any OS on the planet.

good luck!

walhalla

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I use a program called collectorz. It's available at collectorz.com. I've been using this program for several years now. They have music, movies, books, dvd's, comics and video games versions. Just received an email from them yesterday stating they will be coming out with an adroid app. The first one scheduled is for movies.
Check them out and see if it may be what you are looking for.

Arty Marty

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I do a lot of work with databases in my real estate business. There's not many good choices for databases in Android and I've searched quite a bit. I'd have to say your best bet would be Memento. It has a good looking interface plus you can build your database in Excel and import it. A lot easier to do that way.

Ok, just looking at that now, syncs with google docs too so should be safe...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Arty Marty

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
IMO use Excel + Documents To Go.

why got locked into some mom & pop developer's closed black box locked proprietary format?

use Excel which is an open standard which can be opened from virtually any device on any OS on the planet.

good luck!

Thankyou for that - I might try memento (mentioned above) for the same reason, syncs to googledocs, and seems to be in a plain format - its a valid point though, getting locked into something that someone cant be bothered supporting... eeek!

Arty Marty

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I use a program called collectorz. It's available at collectorz.com. I've been using this program for several years now. They have music, movies, books, dvd's, comics and video games versions. Just received an email from them yesterday stating they will be coming out with an adroid app. The first one scheduled is for movies.

oh my, their website demo looks good, will wait and see what the android one looks like... thanks for that suggestion.. will try memento for now...

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I have used their DVD database for windows for quite a few years now, can say that it does the job and does it well when it comes to the database of the DVD's.

Kalifornia

Dude
Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a slightly different approach but in the spirit of brainstorming, have you considered Springpad? I figure you can scan the barcodes of the DVD to avoid entering in all of the information (and then capture the movie image), then you can tag each DVD according to genre (drama, comedy, etc) and even access it from a laptop if you choose.

You would need to add in the disc number manually but I figure that's going to happen regardless.

PossumPete

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Database app for android?, What would you recommend for catal

I used to use the Cat Scanner to enter all of my discs! It's been a long time. I'll have to check this out.

I'm using Delicious Library on my Mac and exporting the data to excel which I upload to Google Docs. Inefficient but effective.