Google Voice Control

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
For those that didn't watch the press announcement, GOOGLE just unveiled voice control for 2.2. It ties into search and lets you control a number of things from your phone by voice. You can initiate texts, emails, navigation, maps, music (pandora/lastFM, and others), notes, and calls, and maybe some others via voice.
I've played around a little and it's scarily accurate.
For those running custom roms, I've heard it won't install to them. Fortunately I flashed stock 2.2 recently because CM6 was giving me some issues and the app is working flawlessly.

Google also officially announced chrome to phone but IMHO, that's old news :)

sk8skanj

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't have 2.2 to try these out, but is the new voice stuff accessed by holding down the search key like the current voice search? or do you have to open a separete app like voice dialer?

rizorith

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It's an app? I thought it was just part of the regular voice search that is built into most of our phones (at least the EVO 4). What exactly do we download?

wrxdrunkie

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I tried to set an alarm using my evo but the app says I need the latest clock app. I cant find it in the market though, and googles link brings up nothing

rizorith

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Failed at almost everything I threw at it and doesn't work with my bluetooth. I'm kind of surprised google had a press release for this, which is just an upgrade if anything, and chrome to phone which I've been using since I got my phone 1 1/2 months ago.

Any upgrade is nice but this doesn't do much more than it did before. Oh and for those of you on a evo, it does just replace what you currently have so the "search" button is still the button you press.

stormed

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Works great...but then again, I thought it worked great before the update. I guess this new update added better recognition plus it also has some text editing features where you can say the correct word. Outside of that, the note to self action is kind of useful and the added feature where you can add to a message with more speech to text

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
It's not really accurant.. I still can't get a subject's email address to populate in the To line.

I've said "send email to jane smith hello" and it puts in the Message line,

"to jane smith hello"

wtf?

bvcastle

May 22, 2010
Visit site
It's not really accurant.. I still can't get a subject's email address to populate in the To line.

"to jane smith hello"

wtf?

Same here, doesn't understand emails or text messages. Puts everything in to the message line.

But it understands the other commands. Maybe some configuration in Contacts needs to be done??

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

"to jane smith hello"

wtf?

maybe it just doesn't understand your English?

ethan

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Just downloaded this, does anyone know how to make it stop searching pandora by default when I say "listen to"? I want it to go to the stock music app and play the mp3, which I'm positive is on my phone.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
maybe it just doesn't understand your English?

Not sure if that was sarcastic because I spelled accurate wrong, lol.. but I am very articulate and pronounced it clean and clear.

I speak with no accent(at least not one native to Southern California)..

"send text to bob smith test"

appears as

"Send text"
-----------------
"To:"

"Message: to bob smith test"

mrhankey184

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Same behavior here...can't get the 'to' to populace and everything gorges into the body.

/bump

Has ANYONE gotten the text message voice search to work?

I say "Send Text to Robbie... Hey Man, Whats up?"

Text box opens and in the message "message Robbie, hey man whats up?"

WTF this isnt even close to the video. Google is doing a LAUNCH on this junk? I must be doing something wrong.

jrcbandit

May 27, 2010
Visit site
/bump

Has ANYONE gotten the text message voice search to work?

I say "Send Text to Robbie... Hey Man, Whats up?"

Text box opens and in the message "message Robbie, hey man whats up?"

WTF this isnt even close to the video. Google is doing a LAUNCH on this junk? I must be doing something wrong.

It worked for me, but I only tried it once as a test - the first time it failed because I did not say the person's full name.

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Works pretty well for me. Just tried it a couple times. Always got the "to" right. The message sometimes was a little off, but usually close enough that the highlighted text could be changed. Hell it was able to pick up the word Castlevania last night.

Not sure what to tell you guys. I do tend to speak slowly when using Voice search.

@mrhankey184 is the contact called robbie in your phone book? Not to sound stupid just trying possibilities. It does seem to pick up if you just say the first name.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc