DX Top

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
so, i've been wary of installing home screen replacements on my droid for fear of compatibility issues or performance issues.

i for some reason or another installed DxTop tonight and WOW.

it has 4 home screens (up down left and right) but it doesn't matter which screen you are on, dragging in the appropriate direction will take you to the corresponding screen (ie, if you are on the right screen dragging down will still bring you to the top screen) once i got used to doing things that way it made things a lot faster.

the screen switching animation is WAY smoother on here compared to the stock home screen. they flow with no stutter or slight pause.

you can HIDE apps in the drawer, as well as sort apps in the drawer with catagories.

there is a dock on the bottom (you swipe left or right where the app drawer is) where you can put 4 apps, or 1x1 widgets in.

there is a second drawer you can pull out that will show you what apps are running as well as services.

there's themes, you can use dxTop themes, aHome themes, and Open Home themes. i tried a couple, but i prefer the stock look of the OS (i like the super sharp icons and folders)

you can also rotate the phone and it will orient even if the keyboard is closed. widgets take a second to redraw but all come up.

all in all, an awesome app. $2.99 in the marketplace

EDIT: Now with pictures!

dxtop-ss-1258523837984.jpg

Home Screen with Dock showing on the bottom

dxtop-ss-1258523998750.jpg

Running apps and services (and recently used)

dxtop-ss-1258524009282.jpg

my apps drawer with customized categories (i made the names and dropped what i wanted into them)

Last edited:
R

Roy Aguilera

So this gives you an extra screen and uses the stock icons?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
unless you install a theme for it, it will use the default icons.

plus all the other stuff, there's a bunch of other things besides the 4th home screen

R

Roy Aguilera

It is pretty nice. I like it. Never tried panda home or open home. Is this the best of the 3?

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Great call on this. Haven't noticed any slowdown yet. Let's see how it does over the next few days test driving it. Let us know how the panda revision is. I'm liking DX, hopefully it doesn't crush my battery tomorrow.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i used my phone all day today, modest browsing, played some games, email, SMS, wifi on for a few hours.

took it off the charger at 5am, it's now about 10pm and i have 30% left.

i don't think it's any less than what i had before i switched home screens...

i'm just really happy with the speed and general snappyness

i also forgot to mention another feature:

click the camera button and it will do a screen capture how awesome is that?!

EDIT: First post updated with pictures

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Adiliyo:
Just downloaded dxtop and can't figure out how to make the drawers. Can you explain please.

TIA

the two drawers that are on the bottom of the screen are always there by default

the right one is running and recently used apps and is automatically populated

the left one is the normal app drawer.

if you open the left drawer and click menu it will have a button that says change view. by default it's just sorted in alphabetic view. click that and you can choose categories (that's how i have it)

now in category view longpress on an icon and when it "picks up" just drop it back in the same spot (don't move it around) and a menu will pop up where you can do things like "set category" or "hide" if you just want it not to show anywhere (i did this for visual voicemail and corp calendar since i don't use them) just click hide.

if you want to put it in a category, choose "set category" and a screen will popup asking if you want to place it in an existing one or create one of your own.

i hope that made sense. it won't let me take a screenshot when a menu is open so i can't walk you through it visually but let me know if something is still confusing and i'll try to reword it or something

Last edited:

keepsakenw

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Adiliyo

I followed your instructions and the apps are disappearing into the "category" but I'm not getting the bar that runs across the screen with the category that I made up, in this case it is games. The apps just seem to disappear. It feels like there must be one step missing to make that bar appear like in your screen capture.
TIA

R

Roy Aguilera

After reading your post I finally figured out how to hide some apps. Reminds me on the BB hide feature.;)