Editorial: Waiter, there's a Nazi theme in my Android Market (updated) -- Engadget

So, has openness gone too far yet? Is it possible to have a controlled experience without turning into the iPhone App Store? Discuss. And note: the theme came up from a search for the term "Jewish".
    08-13-2010 10:50 AM
    Hopefully Google'll do something about the chaotic mess that is the Market at the moment. By no means do I want something like the iPhone App Store, but some kind of control and something to filter out all the worthless crap that pops up every single day would be more than appreciated.
    08-13-2010 11:04 AM
    Heck, what I would like to see is a "Safe Search" option like they have for their main search engine. That way it's up to the user what they do and don't want to see in the market.
    08-13-2010 11:07 AM
    Use appbrain.com, they have a pretty good means of filtering out the garbage based on past history of the dev, and how may times an app has been downloaded.

Otherwise, who at Google is to say if something is worthless crap or not? You may not like Gym Babes, but over 10,000 other people had by downloading it. Things that appbrain isn't sure of are grayed out, and you need to click on it to get even a synopsis of the app. Google should just acquire them and make it the front end of the market.
    08-13-2010 11:10 AM
    That's actually a rather good idea. Using AppBrain's functionality as the main Market interface would be very nice indeed.
    08-13-2010 11:17 AM
    I do use appbrain. And while yes, it filters out the crapware, I'd still like to have an -optional- safe search feature that could be toggled on and off. This way I wouldn't have to worry about any of my friends' kids playing around on the phone... or my overly-religious coworkers for that matter.

Just saying it would be a nice feature that shouldn't be too hard to implement. And, then it makes prudes happy while still giving everyone else free reign. :P
    08-13-2010 11:29 PM
    Some sort of filter system would be nice.
    08-13-2010 11:52 PM