pretty simple title says it all, which is more intuitive, vlingo or froyo's new speech control abilities. which is more accurate etc. etc.
    08-14-2010 04:48 PM
    1) Vlingo
    2) Vlingo
    3) Vlingo
    4) Vlingo
    5) Vlingo

Doesn't matter what category, Vlingo wins.

Vlingo is free as well and doesn't require froyo.
    08-14-2010 05:00 PM
    One thing I like about google voice search is after saying something I don't have to press an additional button (and if I'm missing an option to do this in Vlingo, please do tell) and for txting I can speak more input after the initial voice input I give. I'm currently using both to see which I prefer.

And for driving directions, google voice search seems to beat vlingo. Example, try saying "directions to best buy" using both and see what happens.
    Downrange likes this.
    08-14-2010 05:19 PM
    Voice Search can't run apps. Can Vlingo do that?
    08-14-2010 05:21 PM
    Voice Search can't run apps. Can Vlingo do that?
    Vlingo can run some apps, I haven't played around with it but I think limited to certain stock apps.

I just tried "open calendar" and that worked as well as "open gmail" and "open contacts".

"turn on safe reader" also worked.
    08-14-2010 05:26 PM
    So it does. I'll have to play around with it some more, but for now I'll use it instead of Voice Search. It is somewhat annoying that you have to press Done after speaking, but I can see why. Sometimes, with Voice Search, it'd think I'm done when I actually just paused a few milliseconds to long.
    08-14-2010 05:31 PM
    So it does. I'll have to play around with it some more, but for now I'll use it instead of Voice Search. It is somewhat annoying that you have to press Done after speaking, but I can see why. Sometimes, with Voice Search, it'd think I'm done when I actually just paused a few milliseconds to long.
    Completely agree about the press done. I wish there was an option to not have to push a button and just detect when I'm done speaking.
    08-14-2010 05:32 PM
    I don't have to press the "done" button on Vlingo. after a second long pause, it searches on its own.
    08-14-2010 05:41 PM
    I don't have to press the "done" button on Vlingo. after a second long pause, it searches on its own.
    Hrmm, looks like you are right, although it is sensitive to background noise which is why it didn't initially do that for me.
    08-14-2010 05:57 PM
    And for driving directions, google voice search seems to beat vlingo. Example, try saying "directions to best buy" using both and see what happens.
    It depends. If you use Voice Search, it will automatically have your starting point and the Best Buy read to map. However... it's stuck in Gogle Maps for some reason and there are no navigation options.

If you search in Vlingo, it shows the point on the map, then you tap the point and then tap to navigate.

If you want to save a single button tap and don't mind the vanilla google maps, then voice search saves you a millisecond. But if you want to push the directions to navigation, you need Vlingo.

Vlingo wins for directions, AFAIC.
    08-14-2010 06:13 PM
    One thing I like about google voice search is after saying something I don't have to press an additional button (and if I'm missing an option to do this in Vlingo, please do tell) and for txting I can speak more input after the initial voice input I give. I'm currently using both to see which I prefer.

i just tried that on both and they both worked just fine for me. the only difference is vlingo asked me if i wanted to use telenav or google navigation??
    08-14-2010 06:23 PM
    Just set google maps as the default.
    08-14-2010 06:35 PM
    I haven't used froyo's native capabilities since I'm more familiar with Vlingo (I had it on my old Curve, it's a good app). Give Vlingo a shot.
    08-14-2010 09:09 PM
    I like the Vlingo but I can not get the Vlingo (input method) for text or gtalk.

I hold down the text area, chose imput method, and only get the Samsung, Swype or Android Keyboards.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

So far Vlingo is better than the stock Voice, and being free for Android, is a plus.
    08-14-2010 10:20 PM
    There is no specific Vlingo input. To send a text, long press search to start Vlingo and then say, "send text to [contact] message [message]". It will parse what you said and open it in the default text app (in my case, Handcent). You can add "mobile" with the contact so you don't have to choose which number to text to.
    08-14-2010 11:28 PM
    the note to self is pretty awesome on google voice search
    08-15-2010 12:09 AM
    It depends. If you use Voice Search, it will automatically have your starting point and the Best Buy read to map. However... it's stuck in Gogle Maps for some reason and there are no navigation options.

If you search in Vlingo, it shows the point on the map, then you tap the point and then tap to navigate.

If you want to save a single button tap and don't mind the vanilla google maps, then voice search saves you a millisecond. But if you want to push the directions to navigation, you need Vlingo.

Vlingo wins for directions, AFAIC.
    I think you're doing something wrong....If you say "directions" with google voice search it gives directions. If you say "navigate to...." it automatically starts up google nav.

I personally prefer Google's new Voice Search (downloaded and available only for Froyo, just in case people are confused about the pre.2.2 stock version). It's so much faster than Vlingo, better intergrated, and just wait to Google tweeks and updates it. Opening aps with Vlingo is a moot IMO, I don't see it as very useful. However, being able to do things with aps such as setting an alarm for a specific time like Google Voice Actions can do I can see as being very useful.

Vlingo has one thing going for it, slightly more accurate voice recognition. Although with the strides Google is making, there's no sense in hell to buy Vlingo for $10!
    08-15-2010 01:16 AM
    Vlingo has one thing going for it, slightly more accurate voice recognition. Although with the strides Google is making, there's no sense in hell to buy Vlingo for $10!
    Vlingo is free, dude. They started offering it for free after Google launched voice search.
    08-15-2010 10:10 AM
    the note to self is pretty awesome on google voice search
    That was the main reason I went with Google over Vlingo - very handy.
    08-15-2010 11:09 AM
    thanks guys
    08-15-2010 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD