maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing because I was having some issues with hotmail after the last update. All of my emails were showing up as unread, and even if I marked them as read they still said unread when I went back to that inbox. The problem has since fixed itself (I think) and I don't know what I did to fix it.

maildroiddev has mentioned before that active sync requires a very expensive license, so unless the hotmail "version" of it is stripped down and free idk if it will make an appearance here.

Correct. The active sync license is ~100k per year. What bothers me the most is that they won't offer DeltaSync out to people like us (this is a private protocol that offers almost all IMAP features). I called up the Microsoft lawyers to see what they can do about this, they never got back to me. I'll try again :)

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
@Maildroid...

Just a suggestion. (as if you needed more..lol) Given the many recent and postive updates of application. It might be a good idea to post a link that outlines the various versions of the application and the documented fixes that are corrected. To be honest, I'm starting to loose track as to what the "latest" version is...and what has been resolved or not. Again, just my .2 cents.

Example:
Version: 1.2.3
- Fix: Information on fix

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
@Maildroid...

Just a suggestion. (as if you needed more..lol) Given the many recent and postive updates of application. It might be a good idea to post a link that outlines the various versions of the application and the documented fixes that are corrected. To be honest, I'm starting to loose track as to what the "latest" version is...and what has been resolved or not. Again, just my .2 cents.

Example:
Version: 1.2.3

I'll try to do something. I don't list all the information on each fix, as I see no reason to explain each Null Pointer Exception, but I'll think of something.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to color code different accounts?

Not sure I understand why that would be needed. The combined inbox which is coming will have that option, but it is not available yet. Did you just want to color code to stand out in your inbox (kind of like outlook?). I was planing to add this when the UI will be re-done.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I understand what you want and it is not there right now. Your assumption is correct in that on the 'sync' I will remove it locally if it is not on the server anymore. The option you want is to control the sync in how it works. I need to think about this as it can get tricky. The simple solution would just be a configurable value of 'sync delete' or have an option to turn off sync and allow the user to run a manual sync. I need to think about this a bit more.

OK, at least it isn't me... :D

If I understand correctly then, MailDroid doesn't actually download the messages, but rather just the header and goes out to the cloud when someone wants to access the actual message? If this is the case, then I can see how it would be a bit of an issue to do what I'm looking for because there actually isn't a database of messages kept on the phone.

I can also see that while I have understand the word "sync", I have not been correctly understanding how MailDroid works. I can see now that it is strongly in favor of Exchange, Gmail, IMAP, etc. I can now see that I'm not looking for a "sync" at all, but rather just a download of the message (header and body and with/without attachments) without delete from the server. Hmmm, a 1/2 "sync".

I guess I never considered the possibility of POP3 working like IMAP and running everything off the server. Does this mean that we cannot access the email unless there is an active connection? While an issue for me because of the way I work with email, I can see this being a problem with business users who travel and were planning on addressing their email while on the plane.

To get this feature, does this mean another rewrite? I love the program, but this might well be a show stopper for me. I'm going to have to think though whether or not I'm going to be able to make MailDroid work as is. Bummer...

Thanks for your responsiveness and work on this friendly mail program!

Scott

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
OK, at least it isn't me... :D

If I understand correctly then, MailDroid doesn't actually download the messages, but rather just the header and goes out to the cloud when someone wants to access the actual message? If this is the case, then I can see how it would be a bit of an issue to do what I'm looking for because there actually isn't a database of messages kept on the phone.

I can also see that while I have understand the word "sync", I have not been correctly understanding how MailDroid works. I can see now that it is strongly in favor of Exchange, Gmail, IMAP, etc. I can now see that I'm not looking for a "sync" at all, but rather just a download of the message (header and body and with/without attachments) without delete from the server. Hmmm, a 1/2 "sync".

I guess I never considered the possibility of POP3 working like IMAP and running everything off the server. Does this mean that we cannot access the email unless there is an active connection? While an issue for me because of the way I work with email, I can see this being a problem with business users who travel and were planning on addressing their email while on the plane.

To get this feature, does this mean another rewrite? I love the program, but this might well be a show stopper for me. I'm going to have to think though whether or not I'm going to be able to make MailDroid work as is. Bummer...

Thanks for your responsiveness and work on this friendly mail program!

Scott

High level, I'll explain everything, including some things you did not ask directly about:

1. MailDroid is an IMAP idle client and it will do pull for POP3 clients (as well as webdav), since POP3 and webdav don't support push.

2. When I say 'Sync' I mean syncing of flagged emails (not flag as in the little red flag, but all flags such as read/unread and the little red flag). This does not affect POP since POP does not support a sync of flags, only IMAP. So when you get a new mail, it is pushed to your device for IMAP. When you delete an email, that is also pushed and updated already. When you flag an email or read/unread on the server, it will sync those changes on the next connection made to the server (I am not pushing all those changes right away as that could be a huge ton of data (imagine you flag 75 emails and move them to another folder)). So, hopefully this clears up 'sync'. Also, sync does NOT mean Pull (for those that may have thought that). It does not work that way, I use all the powers of IMAP to do it the right way.

3. Right now, I am just downloading the headers. What am I doing for 1.45, will be different. I am offering three options: A. Just headers like we have now, but when you click on an email to read it will download it locally for offline mail (this is already available now for POP, just not IMAP yet) B. Headers and XXX kb of the body will be downloaded for offline and then clicking on 'more' will get the rest of the message from the server (for those that want some of the body of the email but don't want to transfer tons of data), and C. Header and Body (when you click an email to read, it will show up right away as no connection needs to be made to the server).

4. Reading comments from the above, you can now have offline email depending on what option you choose.

Does this require another re-write? No, the re-write that was done was to support this very idea for 1.45.

Tentatively shooting for a release the end of the first week of September with this feature and a whole bunch of other features.

chrisnotton

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
With the MailDroid vs K-9 growing past 50 pages and morphing into a support thread, let's just post here.
I thought this app. was nearly brilliant!

Apart from 2 things:

I couldn't find out how to "mark all" only to "unmark all". This is vital as I get a lot of traffic that needs to be deleted, I can mark it all for deletion then unmark any that you need to keep.

I could do with a widget that goes directly to each account rather than the "choose account" page. Large & small account preview widgets would be good too. I would email (you) the developer directly but since I uninstalled the app. I lost the email address too. I registered with this forum just to contact you:). I would have PM'd but I don't have enough points on this forum, sorry!

If the first problem was fixed I would be happy to pay for this app. and avoid the ads.

The look & feel was really crisp & fast. A class act!

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I thought this app. was nearly brilliant!

Apart from 2 things:

I couldn't find out how to "mark all" only to "unmark all". This is vital as I get a lot of traffic that needs to be deleted, I can mark it all for deletion then unmark any that you need to keep.

I could do with a widget that goes directly to each account rather than the "choose account" page. Large & small account preview widgets would be good too. I would email (you) the developer directly but since I uninstalled the app. I lost the email address too. I registered with this forum just to contact you:). I would have PM'd but I don't have enough points on this forum, sorry!

If the first problem was fixed I would be happy to pay for this app. and avoid the ads.

The look & feel was really crisp & fast. A class act!

1. mark/unmark all is done already for 1.45 and will roll out with that release, just hang on for another two weeks

2. Widget is on my list, but not at the top of it. I felt other things like combined inbox and search were more important and that is higher on my list.

chrisnotton

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
1. mark/unmark all is done already for 1.45 and will roll out with that release, just hang on for another two weeks

2. Widget is on my list, but not at the top of it. I felt other things like combined inbox and search were more important and that is higher on my list.
Great!
I'll be back, thanks :D

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm having an issue using the latest version where a mail item will show that there's an attachment in the inbox, but when I open the item, no attachment, no capability to download same...

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm having an issue using the latest version where a mail item will show that there's an attachment in the inbox, but when I open the item, no attachment, no capability to download same...

This is actually a known bug that always existed. An embedded image/file is shown as an attachment, but when you open the email you see nothing. Working on finally fixing this today.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
High level, I'll explain everything, including some things you did not ask directly about:

1. MailDroid is an IMAP idle client and it will do pull for POP3 clients (as well as webdav), since POP3 and webdav don't support push.

2. When I say 'Sync' I mean syncing of flagged emails (not flag as in the little red flag, but all flags such as read/unread and the little red flag). This does not affect POP since POP does not support a sync of flags, only IMAP. So when you get a new mail, it is pushed to your device for IMAP. When you delete an email, that is also pushed and updated already. When you flag an email or read/unread on the server, it will sync those changes on the next connection made to the server (I am not pushing all those changes right away as that could be a huge ton of data (imagine you flag 75 emails and move them to another folder)). So, hopefully this clears up 'sync'. Also, sync does NOT mean Pull (for those that may have thought that). It does not work that way, I use all the powers of IMAP to do it the right way.

3. Right now, I am just downloading the headers. What am I doing for 1.45, will be different. I am offering three options: A. Just headers like we have now, but when you click on an email to read it will download it locally for offline mail (this is already available now for POP, just not IMAP yet) B. Headers and XXX kb of the body will be downloaded for offline and then clicking on 'more' will get the rest of the message from the server (for those that want some of the body of the email but don't want to transfer tons of data), and C. Header and Body (when you click an email to read, it will show up right away as no connection needs to be made to the server).

4. Reading comments from the above, you can now have offline email depending on what option you choose.

Does this require another re-write? No, the re-write that was done was to support this very idea for 1.45.

Tentatively shooting for a release the end of the first week of September with this feature and a whole bunch of other features.

Way cool, dude! Man, you need a pay version. If not a pay version, then at least a donation link. I've never seen/used a product of a dev who is (1) so accessible and (2) is so dedicated to his product!

Re #3 above: Yep, from the description and if I understand it correctly, that should about do what I need. Over the course of the next couple years, I may switch to the IMAP/gmail/etc. way of doing things with all my email in the cloud, but I'm just not comfortable with that right now. Even though it would help with my archive issues due to disk crashes and out of date backups (yeah, I know I should do them more frequently).

I like the download nnKB of the message, as that is exactly like the BB (though often hated by many). However, with the carriers moving to essentially a per GB data model, that could prove to be wise for many users.

Oh, and it may already be part of #3, but I assume that attachments will be kept on the server until requested? Hmmm, perhaps an option to automatically download certain types of attachements? For example, automatically downloading PDF's, Office files, etc. and perhaps with a size limit for the auto download.

OK, I'll stop and wait until 1.45 before I do any more dreaming... :D

Also, thanks for the info about the inner working of MailDroid, it really helps me (think I) better understand what the product is.

I seem to remember that you were a former BB user and were trying to reproduce the BB experience here on Android. Ironically, I got used to doing my email this way from my BB's... :) So for me, this is most welcome!

As they say in Aussieland, "Good on ya, mate!" ;)

Keep up the good work!

Scott

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Way cool, dude! Man, you need a pay version. If not a pay version, then at least a donation link. I've never seen/used a product of a dev who is (1) so accessible and (2) is so dedicated to his product!

Re #3 above: Yep, from the description and if I understand it correctly, that should about do what I need. Over the course of the next couple years, I may switch to the IMAP/gmail/etc. way of doing things with all my email in the cloud, but I'm just not comfortable with that right now. Even though it would help with my archive issues due to disk crashes and out of date backups (yeah, I know I should do them more frequently).

I like the download nnKB of the message, as that is exactly like the BB (though often hated by many). However, with the carriers moving to essentially a per GB data model, that could prove to be wise for many users.

Oh, and it may already be part of #3, but I assume that attachments will be kept on the server until requested? Hmmm, perhaps an option to automatically download certain types of attachements? For example, automatically downloading PDF's, Office files, etc. and perhaps with a size limit for the auto download.

OK, I'll stop and wait until 1.45 before I do any more dreaming... :D

Also, thanks for the info about the inner working of MailDroid, it really helps me (think I) better understand what the product is.

I seem to remember that you were a former BB user and were trying to reproduce the BB experience here on Android. Ironically, I got used to doing my email this way from my BB's... :) So for me, this is most welcome!

As they say in Aussieland, "Good on ya, mate!" ;)

Keep up the good work!

Scott

Thanks :) For now, ads will do, but a pay version will come as soon as I am out of beta.

To answer your question on download of attachments:

A. IMAP supports download on demand, so when you open an email from an IMAP server that has an attachment, the body is downloaded, but you have to manually download the files. This is actually already supported now.

B. POP3 does not support that and everything needs to be downloaded at once. The workaround for this is to say download XXX kb of data and that would usually download the body and exclude the attachment.

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
I'm just over two weeks switched from the HTC and Samsung mail clients to Maildroid. My setup is two IMAP over SSL/TLS accounts per device. Three of the accounts get ~20 emails a day, one gets ~400 emails a day. I've been very happy with a few exceptions.

1) Still having problems with IMAP deciding to stop working regardless of if I leave it default or start polling. I just have to kill Maildroid and re-launch it. This happens most often with the 400 email account as it's also accessed from a desktop. When I do a bunch of email from the desktop or too many operations in Maildroid, it gets lost and a kill/restart typically brings it back to sanity.

2) The Samsung Addressbook does not appear accessible to Maildroid. And while the feature to automatically add email addresses might be helpful for some people for my accounts it's a disaster. I have to uninstall and reinstall Maildroid every two/three days just to clear that. Otherwise there are so many entries (dupes and tripes sometimes) that composing a message and choosing an address are way too difficult or lag out to FC. Maildroiddev is considering my idea that the auto-email record for inbound and outbound be optional and that DB be deletable. At least that way I can manually enter addresses without the clutter and fail.

3) Is there a setting so it does not default Reply include the old message? With mailing list emails that already thread pages and pages this can be painful and with big emails this lags out and sometimes FCs on reply. I think I saw this was being considered in a thread somewhere but haven't found it since.

Maildroid works better in every respect than the Samsung client. The IMAP works better in the HTC client but otherwise Maildroid is nicer.

It's really getting there. Each release is a noted improvement and as everyone notices Maildroiddev is on top of his customer service. I sure hope he is getting his $ due (or is "Hey, I'm the Maildroid guy.." a good pickup line?). Cheers, -Pk

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm just over two weeks switched from the HTC and Samsung mail clients to Maildroid. My setup is two IMAP over SSL/TLS accounts per device. Three of the accounts get ~20 emails a day, one gets ~400 emails a day. I've been very happy with a few exceptions.

1) Still having problems with IMAP deciding to stop working regardless of if I leave it default or start polling. I just have to kill Maildroid and re-launch it. This happens most often with the 400 email account as it's also accessed from a desktop. When I do a bunch of email from the desktop or too many operations in Maildroid, it gets lost and a kill/restart typically brings it back to sanity.

2) The Samsung Addressbook does not appear accessible to Maildroid. And while the feature to automatically add email addresses might be helpful for some people for my accounts it's a disaster. I have to uninstall and reinstall Maildroid every two/three days just to clear that. Otherwise there are so many entries (dupes and tripes sometimes) that composing a message and choosing an address are way too difficult or lag out to FC. Maildroiddev is considering my idea that the auto-email record for inbound and outbound be optional and that DB be deletable. At least that way I can manually enter addresses without the clutter and fail.

3) Is there a setting so it does not default Reply include the old message? With mailing list emails that already thread pages and pages this can be painful and with big emails this lags out and sometimes FCs on reply. I think I saw this was being considered in a thread somewhere but haven't found it since.

Maildroid works better in every respect than the Samsung client. The IMAP works better in the HTC client but otherwise Maildroid is nicer.

It's really getting there. Each release is a noted improvement and as everyone notices Maildroiddev is on top of his customer service. I sure hope he is getting his $ due (or is "Hey, I'm the Maildroid guy.." a good pickup line?). Cheers, -Pk

1. Interesting, I'll have to look into this. What type of IMAP server is this?

2. It is on my list and actually if I have time, it will be done for the next release. A configurable option of using the address book that we build to work for auto-suggest. This way you can turn it off.

3. This is on my list for this release, ability to not include the quoted text for reply/reply all/forward

I would not say the $ is quite where it should be, but hopefully the pay version will help out.

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
1. Interesting, I'll have to look into this. What type of IMAP server is this?

2. It is on my list and actually if I have time, it will be done for the next release. A configurable option of using the address book that we build to work for auto-suggest. This way you can turn it off.

3. This is on my list for this release, ability to not include the quoted text for reply/reply all/forward

I would not say the $ is quite where it should be, but hopefully the pay version will help out.

1) All are Project Cyrus based IMAPD.

2) Does this also mean it deletes the existing stored up addressbook? The reason I ask is that has made the app take up a lot of space and growing. Thanks!

3) Awesomesauce!

*nod nod* Either way I'm buying the first round! Err. Beers. For you. Not licenses for everyone here. ;-) -Pk

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
1) All are Project Cyrus based IMAPD.

2) Does this also mean it deletes the existing stored up addressbook? The reason I ask is that has made the app take up a lot of space and growing. Thanks!

3) Awesomesauce!

*nod nod* Either way I'm buying the first round! Err. Beers. For you. Not licenses for everyone here. ;-) -Pk

1. Thanks, I'll look at this
2. Indeed, this makes sense. I will hook that in.
3. :)

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys,

First off I want to say thank you for this app. I tried K9 first, but it kept giving me errors with my web host's email/IMAP server and something about certificate mismatches. It simply wasn't enjoyable to use, but I tried out MailDroid and it worked flawlessly.

That said, I wanted to have something that was an "all-in-one" so I had hoped to be able to use this with Hotmail's new activeynsc rollout for push email. However, I did read here that the license was 100k per year? Does a simple app really need to pay that just to pull from it? More importantly, does this mean MailDroid will not ever be able to retrieve hotmail emails via activesync? I apologize for any dumb questions here as I'm not sure how these exchange servers work. I thought as long as it was implemented on the server, clients could link up and be pushed updates.

If maildroid will be unable to include this functionality, I may regrettably have to try out another mail app. That said, please clear this up for me if possible; I wouldn't mind paying for this if it was able to do the new hotmail as well.

Thanks.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys,

First off I want to say thank you for this app. I tried K9 first, but it kept giving me errors with my web host's email/IMAP server and something about certificate mismatches. It simply wasn't enjoyable to use, but I tried out MailDroid and it worked flawlessly.

That said, I wanted to have something that was an "all-in-one" so I had hoped to be able to use this with Hotmail's new activeynsc rollout for push email. However, I did read here that the license was 100k per year? Does a simple app really need to pay that just to pull from it? More importantly, does this mean MailDroid will not ever be able to retrieve hotmail emails via activesync? I apologize for any dumb questions here as I'm not sure how these exchange servers work. I thought as long as it was implemented on the server, clients could link up and be pushed updates.

If maildroid will be unable to include this functionality, I may regrettably have to try out another mail app. That said, please clear this up for me if possible; I wouldn't mind paying for this if it was able to do the new hotmail as well.

Thanks.

I will clear it up as much as possible:

1. Yes, there is a license fee and it is a lot. I have spoken to the Microsoft lawyers and not really getting anywhere

2. I don't know of any other applications using ActiveSync at this time for Hotmail

3. It is likely that Microsoft is giving me the run around because they are working on a Hotmail app that is using ActiveSync (just a theory, no concrete evidence)

Will I ever add ActiveSync? Yes, if Microsoft does not charge me through the nose.

Also, to be clear it seems it is 100k + an additional royalty fee per user. Still waiting though on the lawyers, I emailed them again last week.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20