Google voice actions

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Anyone having issues with this, I cannot get the app to send a text to "address contact" if I say send text to "persons name" the text says "to persons name" cannot get the to part to goto the recipient field. Also speech regognition is nowhere as good as vlingo, anyone else having issues?

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
So I had a similar issue. Problem #1 was that it wasn't finding my contacts is I used Voice Search with the "call" or "send text" commands. However, if I used the Voice Command application (from a company called Nuance) that came pre-loaded on my Droid 2 then it worked fine. Unfortunately it does not support as many commands as the Voice Search actions do, and it frequently asks for confirmation before acting.

I did some digging on the net and discovered that Voice Search will only search you Gmail contacts, not your phone or corporate contacts. So I had to export all of my contacts to the SD card and then re-import them into one of my Gmail accounts. Once that was completed I disabled the account sync, then deleted all of my contacts (go to Settings> Applications> Manage Applications> All Applications > Contacts Storage> Clear Data). Then I re-enabled sync and let it sync once to restore my contacts.

Now when I use voice search it works much better. When I say "call John Smith" it actually pulls up a "Did you mean..." list, and at the top of the list is what I want it to do ("Call John Smith - Mobile"). Then it has a couple of options for searching (presumable the web) for "call john smith". So that's an improvement, but I want it to auto-dial the number.

The texting part works correctly (except that my wife has a hyphenated last name, so when I say "send text to (her full name)" it not only puts her in the "To" line, but it also puts everyone else with the same last name (my brothers, parents, etc). Talk about the potential for awkward. However, if I say "send text to (everything before the hyphen in her name)" it correctly adds just her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC