Tasker - Let's Contribute Profiles

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I actually have a profile similar to what you've described myself - just never took the time to post it. :)

arandheer

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I made a tasker profile to show inspirational quotes every hour on home screen.
For this I made a text file containing more than 100 quotes, each seperated by "/" for seperating and identifying an individual quote.
Then picking up any quote randomly and pushing it to "Minimalistic Text" tasker plugin.
For displaying on screen I used "Minimalistic Text".
Step: 1
Create a text file with some quotes/jokes etc etc , each quote separated by a ?/?
Example:
/Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve. ?Napoleon Hill
/Your time is limited, so don?t waste it living someone else?s life. ?Steve Jobs
/Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. ?Albert Einstein
/Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ?Robert Frost
/The common question that gets asked in business is, ?why?? That?s a good question, but an equally valid question is, ?why not?? -Jeffrey Bezos
/You miss 100% of the shots you don?t take. ?Wayne Gretzky

Step: 2
TASKER CONFIGURATION
Create the following variables in the Tab Var:
1. %Insptext
2. %Insprandom
3. %Insptextno
4. %Inspsugg
Create Profile: Insp Quotes
State: Battery Level [From:20 To:100 ]
Time: From 06:35 Till 22:35 // discarding sleep times
Enter: Insp Quotes
A1: Perform Task Name: Inspiration
A2: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:0 Minutes:0 Hours:1 Days:0 ]
A3: Goto [ Type:Action Number Number:1 ]

Create Task Inspiration
A1: Read File [ File:/sdcard/Download/insp.txt To Var:%Insptext ]
A2: Variable Split [Name: %Insptext Splitter:/ ]
A3: Variable Set [ Name:%Insprandom To:%Insptext(#)]
A4: Variable Randomize [ Name:%Insptextno Min:1 Max:%Insprandom ]
A5: Variable Set [ Name:%Inspsugg To:%Insptext(%Insptextno)]
A6: Minimalistic Text [Configuration:insp = %Inspsugg ]

MINIMALISTIC TEXT CONFIGURATION
Choose a widget 4 x 2
Add Locale Variable - VARIABLE NAME: insp
Style: Default
Tap Behavior: Check the checkbox, Disable action on tap
You are done !!

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for some help if possible. I have a profile set up to turn the screen on for 7 seconds when I receive a text message and then shut off if I don't interact with the phone.
The problem is when I do interact with the phone the screen still shuts off. I need it to not shut off if the screen is on. I tried moving the last step "stop" to step 5 but then the 30 sec screen time out kicks in and the screen stays on for 30 sec either way.

Sent from my AOSPA 3.99 Galaxy Nexus Goldenized

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379020467062.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379020467062.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for some help if possible. I have a profile set up to turn the screen on for 7 seconds when I receive a text message and then shut off if I don't interact with the phone.
The problem is when I do interact with the phone the screen still shuts off. I need it to not shut off if the screen is on. I tried moving the last step "stop" to step 5 but then the 30 sec screen time out kicks in and the screen stays on for 30 sec either way.

Sent from my AOSPA 3.99 Galaxy Nexus Goldenized

Well, I'm not sure about the "Stop" action you have in your task, but maybe this is a different way to get what you want. (Warning: I don't know much about setting up variables, so I can't be much help with the suggestion I'm about to pass along, at least in that regards.)

1 - In your task, remove the Wait action and all other actions underneath it
2 - Replace that Wait action with a "Variable Set" action (under the "Variables" action category)
3 - Create and set a new variable (e.g., %myvarSMS) with a value of "On"
4 - Save the task
5 - Create a new "State" profile (e.g., "SMSUnchecked") with a context of "State", a State category of "Sensor", and Sensor State of "Orientation", and the "Is" value = "Face Down"
6 - Create a new task (e.g., "PhoneDown")
7 - Add a new action - Action Category = Task, Action = If
8 - Set the "If" action up so that it performs only if the "%myvarSMS" set up in 3 above is = "On"
9 - Add new actions to the task that mimic actions 5 & 6 from your pic above (and original task)
10 - Add a final action to the task that sets the variable = "Off"

Hopefully what will happen is that now when you get a message, the screen will switch on, your pass lock will be disabled, and you'll do what you need to do. However, if you decide not to check it, just turn your phone face down. Everything should lock up and you should be good to go. And since the phone orientation will only lock your phone when the variable is set to "On" from the SMS profile, there shouldn't be any issues there. Of course it modifies the behavior you were hoping for slightly (i.e., just interacting with the phone), but maybe turning the phone over won't be a huge inconvenience.

Anyways, just an idea - hope you get something working. If you don't mind, share what you come up with, in case anyone else wants to do something similar one day. :D Thanks - good luck!

agp423

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Best thread ever. Does anyone know if it is possible to have something that will trigger the phone to keep its screen on? For example, if I am running Chrome, I want the screen to remain on.

And does anyone know if it is possible to use Tasker to make Timely the lock/unlock screen?

Also is it possible to have the phone turn on the screen when I get a new text/email/chat message/notification?

Last edited:

ropopkorn

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello, need some help setting up the following actions in Tasker. I use a tablet (Android 4.0.4) only for in car use and have some problems setting tasker profiles. It should be something like this:

For state power on (charging any) do the following tasks:

1. Disable keyguard
2. Issue a play command to the media app, only if music is not playing already (will come back why I need this latter on) - now I'm using Media Utilities plugin with Smart play (which should do that but it doesn't :D ... sometimes it sends the play even if the music is already playing, or will send the play command to the built-in media player instead to JetAudio which is the default set media player in android and in media utilities)
3. Turn GPS on, using now secure settings plugin - works great
4. Turn Bluetooth on - works

For State Power off (not charging any) do the following:
1. Turn keyguard on (enable)
2. Wait 12 seconds
3. IF keyguard on >>>
3.1 Stop media (using tasker built in media actions)
3.2 Disable GPS (secure settings plugin)
3.3 Disable bluetooth
3.4 System Lock
4 END IF

Everything works just great UNTIL ... I go in the car, turn the ignition ON ... the power ON profile starts than when I crank the engine, the car cuts the power to any accesories including car phone charger. The power off profile starts and waits 12 seconds before stoping music, gps, etc.
Than the car starts (before those 12 seconds run up) and the phone charger receives power, and the power on profile comes back. I have a higher priority for the power on profile so, the power off profile is aborted and the power on starts again ... but here the problems start: Either the music is stopped (because another play is issued from the power on profile, and the media app thinks it's pause even with smart play command from media utilities) or the default android player it's started and the jet audio it's stopped because the play command is send to the build in player app.

what I would like is
- a shure tested way for tasker to check if any media it's being played, and if it is, abort the play command (tried %MTRACK with flash but could not set it up to work, got the same problems as above)
- some other ideas how to hack, workaround, create a better flow in my profiles to avoid interruptions in those 10-15 seconds while the tablet's charger is cut off by the car, when the car;s engine starts up.

agp423

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if it is possible to turn on the screen whenever you get an alert for email/text/other notifications?

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if it is possible to turn on the screen whenever you get an alert for email/text/other notifications?

Without drawing it completely out, I think if you have the SecureSettings plug-in, at least for a received text you could set up something like this:

New Profile -
Context: Event
Category: Phone
Event: Received Text

Task for the above new profile:
Action -
Category: Plugin
Action: SecureSettings
SecureSettings Configuration:
Edit -> "Wake Device" (you specify the duration)

Cheers!

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Nice thread. I have a simple question.

Right now I have a "profile" to turn on my GPS and Location Service when I launch Maps.
Everything is working good. My question is I want to do the same for other apps like Google+, Navigation, or anything that use GPS ect.
Do I have to set up a different "Profile" for each app or can I do something like if I launch Maps or Nav or xxx app. Just one profile that cover all the apps I want to turn on GPS?
Thanks

Update: Figured it out.:)

Last edited:

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
One profile covers all. When you selected the maps app, you could have selected as many as you wanted. Go back to that step and select the other apps you want to trigger the GPS

adz1966

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Need some help. My 2013 Civic won't let me start Google Now with voice over Bluetooth, it only allows for calling phone numbers which I set up in the car. If I try to long press the Home button, it stays on 'initializing' for a long time. I need to use Tasker to assign Google Now to a phone number. Is this possible?

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I have a simple profile to turn on off WiFi with Cell near. I added a voice to say WiFi On or Off depending on situations.

I noticed when I get an incoming call, the Wifi shuts off and it speak WiFi Off.
I tried adding a context Phone>Call (invert) thinking it would tell the profile not to kick in if there's an in coming call but it didn't work.

I'm wondering if I'm getting switch to a different cell tower? I tried to scan for new towers and could never pick up more than one.

Galaxy S4 if that make any different

Update: Solved, my suspicion was correct, calls handed of to different towers.
I cleared my recent signal list, made a call to myself from work phone and one call from my cell to work.
Went back into the last signal list and sure enough there were two cell tower that's different from the one I scanned.
Added those towers and problem solved.

Last edited:

Jakob Aaes

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
It's been a little quite in here, so here's my profiles roughly desctipted:
overall I have to categories, one everything not safety related and the other one is safety
1:
1a: Calendar entry *, *, mute, Any*
So whenever I have "mute" written in an event description, the phone goes all silent, both media and silent mode. Upon exiting it unmutes my phone again.

1b: When I'm connected to my home WIFI, through Secure settings the Password is cleared, so that I don't have to enter it when I'm home. Upon exiting Keyguard is once again activated.

1c: Whenever I'm connected to a WIFI, autosync is enabled through Synker.

1d: Phone ringing: whenever someone calls me the task Temporary brightness trigger:
1. Auto brightness set to on
2. Wait for 15 sec.
3. Auto Brightness set to off

1e: Wallpaper Switch
description: a piece of java script that allows the wallpaper to randomly change between pictures from a certain folder, whenever the task is triggered.
context: "Time - from 00:00 repeat every 3h till 23:59"
Normal task: "Variable set":
-name:%randoimagefolder
**navigate to your destination** in my case->
-to: Wallbase/Saved
"JavaScriplet":
-Code:
var files =
listFiles(randoimagefolder,fase).split("\n"); var
number =
Math.floor(Math.random() *
(files.length));
setWallpaper(files[number]);
-set "Timeout" to 45 sec.

1f: Start Work
Description: when I'm at work I don't like to get bothered by people calling and texting me and I have to pause my current work to answer them , so therefore I made this task to answer them automatically.
Context: "Calendar entry *, *, Work, Any, *"
Normal task:
- "Perform Task": Toggle Work

1g: Toggle Work.
Description: I really like this way of building a toggle that allows a single task to have a lot of purposes and you can add as many toggles, actions and so on as you want. This toggles between answering people who calls and texts me, while I'm at work.
Normal Task (I just write the action number so that it's easy to copy)
1. Goto
Type Action number Number 10
2. Set Widget Icon
Name Toggle Work
**something that resembles on**
3. Profile Status
Name Text Missed Text Work Set On
4. Profile Status
Name Text Missed Call Work Set On
5. Profile Status
Name Face down Set Off
6. Variable Set
Name %Work To 0
7. Silent mode
Mode Vibrate
8. Flash
Text Work On
9. Goto
Type Action Number Number 16
10. Variable Set
Name %Work To 1
11. Set Widget Icon
Name Toggle work
**something that resembles "Off"**
12. Profile Status
Name Text Missed Text Work Set Off
13. Profile status
Name Text missed Call Work Set Off
14. Profile Status
Name Face Down Set On
15. Silent Mode
Mode Off
16. Flash
Text Work off

1h: Text missed Call Work
context: "Missed Call"
Normal Task (if you want it to not reply to someone, like your wife or something, you can add a "Stop" command I have added this just to show how)
1. Stop
If %SMSRF ~ +4512345678
2. Send SMS
Number %SMSRF
Message: **just write whatever you want as your auto generated answer**

1i: Text Missed Text Work
Context: Recieved Text Any, *, *
Normal Task: Same as above

1j: Face Down
Context: Orentation: "Face Down"
Normal Task.
1. Variable Set
Name /SILENTV To 1, If %SILENT ~ vibrate
2. Variable Set
Name %SILENTON To 1, If %SILENT ~ On
3. Variable Set
Name %SILENTOFF To 1, If SILENT ~ Off
4. Silent Mode
Mode On
Exit Task(s):
1. Silent Mode
Mode On, If %SILENTON ~ 1
2. Silent Mode
Mode Vibrate, If %SILENTV ~ 1
3. Silent Mode
Mode Off, If SILENTOFF ~ 1
4. Variable Clear
Name %SILENTOFF
5. Variable Clear
Name %SILENTON
6. Variable Clear
Name %SILENTV

1k: Toggle work by calendar entry
Context: Calendar Entry *, *, Work, Any, *
Normal task: Run "toggle work" **from earlier**
exit task: Run "toggle work" **you guessed it, the same as the earlier**
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now to the more fun. Who doesn't like the idea of espionage on your phone' thief?? ;)

2a: Fail login (There is a lot of varieties of this one out there, if you don't have a lot of battery or dropbox with automatic upload, this isn't the best)
Context: Secure settings - Failed Login - Attempts: Max: 3
Normal Task:
1. GPS
Set On
2. Get Location
Source Any Timeout (Seconds) 100
3. Mobile Data
Set On
4. Take Photo
Camera Front Filename %BATT
5. Wait
Seconds 20
6. Take Photo
Camera Front Filename %LOC
7. GPS
Set Off
8. Wait
Minutes 1
9. Mobile Data
Set Off

2b: Photo bomb Sms
Description: this is another security setting that allows a couple of profiles, settings and actions to be activated by a trigger-word in an SMS
Context: Recieved Text SMS, *, Photo bomb
Normal task:
1. Profile Status
Name Photo Bomb Stop Set On
2. Profile Status
Name Photo bomb Set On
3. Variable Set
Name %PHOTOBOMB To 1
4. Profile Status
Name Emergency Call Respond Set On
5. Profile Status
Name Emergency Respond Set On
6. Profile Status
Name Photo Bomb Sms Sms Off
7. GPS
Set On
8. Profile Status **the keyguard profile**
Name WIFI Connected Set Off
9. Perform Task
Name Activate Keyguard
10. Mobile Data
Set On

2c: Photo bomb
Description: Whenever your phone is stolen, you want to see the face of the thief. Therefore I made this use the same task as the "fail login" profile, but in another context
Context: Display State On

Last edited:

Jakob Aaes

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Need some help. My 2013 Civic won't let me start Google Now with voice over Bluetooth, it only allows for calling phone numbers which I set up in the car. If I try to long press the Home button, it stays on 'initializing' for a long time. I need to use Tasker to assign Google Now to a phone number. Is this possible?

Are you sure that "Google Search" is up to date?

harpua1982

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I made a tasker profile to show inspirational quotes every hour on home screen.
For this I made a text file containing more than 100 quotes, each seperated by "/" for seperating and identifying an individual quote.

I am new to this forum and I am new to tasker. I'd like to thank the OP (Daspoo) for opening this thread. A lot can be learned here. I'd like to refer to arandheer's post about creating a daily task w/ Inspirational quotes.

I would like to do the same. However, I'd like to do so w/out having to use Minimalistic Text and/or a widget. Instead, I thought I could just create a scene that will alert me every morning at a certain time once a day.I have created the txt file w/ over 200 quotes.

Every morning, around 7:00, I'd like a scene to appear w/ a custom notification sound. This scene would include a random quote from the txt file along w/ a button that would allow me to choose another quote at random. I am familiar w/ how to create a scene, but not too familiar w/ variables and such (yet).

I have a few more unique ideas I'd like to share w/ the community once I get the basics of Tasker down. YouTube Tuts and how-tos are great, but nothing like keeping the lines of communication open through a forum like this. Hope someone can help.

Fernanda Pradella

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I need something like an alarm sounds when gps reach some location (it should be accurately, so I'd like to use GPS), however when I try to set a profile for Location, I'm unable to put coordinates or get my location correctly.

Does someone know it?

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
(For the next profiles, I won't go into as excrutiating detail as above but will instead just point out the Contexts, Tasks, and Actions I used to make them work.)

Profile Name: Home Location
Description: Tasker to-do when I arrive home; This profile switches Wifi on when I arrive home (i.e., outside of the house, pulling into the garage, etc.), and switches it off when I leave.
Context: "State"
State Category: "Phone"
Phone State: "Cell Near" (this was set up while at home, so the cell towers captured the correct location)
Normal Task:
- Action Category: "Net"
- "Net" Action: "Wifi"
- Set to: "On"
Exit Task(s):
- Action Category: "Net"
- "Net" Action: "Wifi"
- Set to: "Off"

I tried something similar to this, but I had one issue with it. I could not toggle WiFi. Well I could, but Tasker would quickly switch it back. I'd like for Tasker to turn WiFi on when I get home, but yet I'd like the freeedom to toggle it on & off. Does anyone have any ideas of how to add the feature to leave the setting alone if toggled?

harpua1982

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I need something like an alarm sounds when gps reach some location (it should be accurately, so I'd like to use GPS), however when I try to set a profile for Location, I'm unable to put coordinates or get my location correctly.

Does someone know it?

I had to scroll through the map and find mine manually.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995