what if android had our own bbm app like ADM(android messenger) i see all this blackberry messenger commercials they really pushing on them
    08-25-2010 07:18 PM
    Why doesn't RIM sell a BBM app for Android for like $5 that's compatible with BlackBerries, iPhones, and Android?
    08-25-2010 07:27 PM
    why F with a proprietary closed standard?

IMO just text/SMS/MMS or push email instead.
    08-25-2010 07:48 PM
    It would take a separate app for that to work on BB.

BBM data is carried entirely on RIM's network, so it is sent encrypted and secure. In the case of a BB on BES it can be controlled by IT Policy, and messages can be stored and archived by BES.

If BBM was made so that it could communicate with other IM apps, it would blow this security feature.

One of the primary reasons BB's are being banned in several middle east countries is because of the secure nature of BBM -- along with the secure and encrypted email.

This security is one of RIM's proprietary claims to fame, so it is doubtful they will change it. They can market it to the consumer users, but the underlying security won't be compromised.

There are already numerous IM apps that are compatible with BB, iPhone and Android, but BBM won't be among them anytime soon.
    08-25-2010 07:55 PM
    Why not just use pingchat? It works across all thre major smartphone platforms (android, iphone, and BB). It is the closest thing to BBM out there. I have a Dinc, my brother an Iphone, and my wife a BB. We are all able to chat, get messages instantly, and we get notifications when the other party gets our message. That is what made BBM so great. But BBM will always be BB exclusive. It works off of RIM's servers. Only BB's will ever be able to connect.
    08-25-2010 08:33 PM
    It would take a separate app for that to work on BB.

BBM data is carried entirely on RIM's network, so it is sent encrypted and secure. In the case of a BB on BES it can be controlled by IT Policy, and messages can be stored and archived by BES.

If BBM was made so that it could communicate with other IM apps, it would blow this security feature.

One of the primary reasons BB's are being banned in several middle east countries is because of the secure nature of BBM -- along with the secure and encrypted email.

This security is one of RIM's proprietary claims to fame, so it is doubtful they will change it. They can market it to the consumer users, but the underlying security won't be compromised.

There are already numerous IM apps that are compatible with BB, iPhone and Android, but BBM won't be among them anytime soon.
    Go Blue: Check out CrossTalk under development now and due out very soon, I think you will be very surprised to see that it will support BBM on RIM's network. Supporting or accessing BBM is not the issue, it is the money model that has been an issue for developers, that is until now. We aim to change all of that and a whole lot more with CrossTalk.
    08-25-2010 11:38 PM
    we have google talk, which works on many platforms, including actual computers.

getting blackberry users to install and use it is another story.
    08-26-2010 12:38 AM
    what if android had our own bbm app like ADM(android messenger) i see all this blackberry messenger commercials they really pushing on them
    We do. It's called GTalk.
    08-26-2010 10:26 AM
    Yea gtalk rules. And I don't need a phone.
    08-26-2010 10:28 AM
    We do. It's called GTalk.
    Doesn't GTalk lack most of the features of BBM? I didn't think you could send pics or audio clips with GTalk. I don't think it even allows you to add a pic to your contacts.
    08-26-2010 11:16 AM
    Know why RIM won't release BBM to other platforms? Because if they did, people would be dropping their BB's and RIM would get fewer sales, right now RIM are behind in the smartphone industry.
    08-26-2010 11:53 AM
    Go Blue: Check out CrossTalk under development now and due out very soon, I think you will be very surprised to see that it will support BBM on RIM's network. Supporting or accessing BBM is not the issue, it is the money model that has been an issue for developers, that is until now. We aim to change all of that and a whole lot more with CrossTalk.
    Are we talking any day now? If you can't tell, I'm not very good at waiting
    08-26-2010 02:07 PM
    Well, to be honest I have been saying end of August for the last month or so, but we are still working on some development issues and it looks like it could be a little bit longer. I will say that the back end server is running on Microsoft Azure Cloud network, not that it matters much to the users but it does sound good, and its pretty cool stuff to be able to have access to that kind of power.

-Jason
    jayhawkfan18 likes this.
    08-26-2010 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD