Lookout?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I downoladed Lookout today because it was recommended on this forum front page.
My coworker then told me she had it previously on her X and the phone started working weird, locking up, couldn't even use it..totally bricked.
She took it to VZW and they told her it was the Lookout pg and removed it, but it had wrecked her phone. They said this wasn't the first time this had happened with the Lookout app.
They reloaded her phone and all was fine, but she lost everything not backed up.
I took Lookout off mine STAT after hearing this.
Just warning ya'll.

Redneck Trash

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I've never had any problems with Lookout. And just because a customer rep says an app bricked a device doesn't necessarily make it true. I'd do a little research to verify something like that.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
All I know is that her phone worked perfectly, she put very little apps on it, but that Lookout was one of the last ones.
A day later, it pretty much bricked, she took it in. They immediately saw it, said it was the cause and the rest I've already said.
They reloaded her phone and it's perfect again.
I dunno myself. Don't shoot the messenger.
Just sayn. :)

sookster54

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Never heard of such an occasion, Lookout works great for me. Perhaps it was a coincidence in relation to another event causing it to brick.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
It looked really cool. I was disappointed she was told that. Might be interesting the next time I'm in that VZW STORE to ask the techs there and see what's up with that thought.

BrickAlley

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Lookout for a couple of months and I've not had a single issue with it at all. For the life of me I can't see how a rep could look at a dead phone and derive that an app did the damage. It's almost humorous on a certain level and I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I can bet almost everyone has a funny story of some zany thing they've been told by a CS rep at a cell phone store.

jmack356

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Using Lookout here on two phones since June and have had no issues.
I'm not sure if I even need the Anti-Virus feature, and the built-in Backup app is just plain lame (it doesn't do anything that the Droids internal Google Backup doesn't already do)
I use it mainly in case I need to locate a lost phone, and that function performs flawlessly.

Apanther

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
It's almost humorous on a certain level and I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I can bet almost everyone has a funny story of some zany thing they've been told by a CS rep at a cell phone store.

I agree 100%. Most of them dont know a damned thing about what they are selling.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Lookout has run flawlessly on my X for a month now.

Basically, you have a bunch of people in this thread saying that it runs perfectly and one tard at verizon that says this is the problem. I know there are a few good reps out there, but I'm usually surprised when they correctly identify my device as a phone. Lookout has over 33,000 downloads with a 5 star rating. I don't see it as the troublemaker that particular verizon rep says it is. Don't use it if you don't want to, but there's nothing wrong with the app.

Flash#AC

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone here know how Lookout works?
I have never seen a virus definition update for this program, so how is it purportedly keeping my phone safe?

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone here know how Lookout works?
I have never seen a virus definition update for this program, so how is it purportedly keeping my phone safe?

It doesn't. It banks on paranoia and the "feeling" of being "safe".

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I see no point in antivirus for an android Phone the same reason i do not use an anti virus on my Linux Box at home.

I do Like Lookout for the feature of being able to locate the phone. However I didn't see the Nuke option on the website.. How do I enable the ability to Nuke or wipe the phone if its lost or stolen?