Play Music App missing cover art suddenly

JJDigitized

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
In the last few days, the Google Play music app on both my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 no longer have cover art for any of my music/artists. What's odd is if I visit the desktop player, all the art is still there.

I'm not sure if this happened exactly at the same time as the latest update, but it's possible the timing lines up. I've submitted a bug report to Google (not sure if that does any good), but has anyone else noticed the same thing? Just curious before I try anything drastic like wiping the app data and resyncing (only because I have several playlists marked for offline, and if I don't have to remark and download I'd prefer it).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Google Music's album artwork functionality has always seemed a bit voodoo-ish to me. I've found that sometimes it's a little off, but after a few days when I check again, it's back to normal. I'd wait a little longer and see what happens. But if it persists, I agree that wiping the app data and re-syncing is probably the best bet.

The album art that's missing is for online albums, not your local music, right?

JJDigitized

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Google Music's album artwork functionality has always seemed a bit voodoo-ish to me. I've found that sometimes it's a little off, but after a few days when I check again, it's back to normal. I'd wait a little longer and see what happens. But if it persists, I agree that wiping the app data and re-syncing is probably the best bet.

The album art that's missing is for online albums, not your local music, right?

That's right - I don't have any local music on either device at the moment.

I know what you mean about the seeming voodoo - as I mentioned, when I go to the desktop app, all my music art is there, and it was previously there on both devices. If it was missing in all places, I'd suspect a problem with the music I uploaded or something, but this is odd.

Thanks, I'll give it a few days and keep an eye on it before clearing data.

AtuerMD

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Having the same problem on my Nexus 4 & 7. I don't have any music files on the devices, only on the cloud and since the last Play Music app update I lost all my album art.
I suppose there's a bug with the new app and hopefully they will fix it. This doesn't seem to affect the library on the desktop page.

JJDigitized

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Having the same problem on my Nexus 4 & 7. I don't have any music files on the devices, only on the cloud and since the last Play Music app update I lost all my album art.
I suppose there's a bug with the new app and hopefully they will fix it. This doesn't seem to affect the library on the desktop page.

Sucks, but in a way I'm glad it's not just me - more likely it's a bug to be fixed as you said.

David Eggert

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I found this fix on another forum, and it worked for me and seems to be working for everyone else as well. In the app, go to the Menu (three dots in the upper right hand corner), choose Settings, then choose Google Account and select the account you use for Google Music. After that, all the artwork should appear again.

This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, especially since I had previously tried erasing all local data, which required me to select my account to start the app the first time again. Regardless, I'm just pleased it worked.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that tip, and welcome to Android Central! I would have thought the user's Google account would have been selected already--when you went to check, were the selection circles just empty?

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I found this fix on another forum, and it worked for me and seems to be working for everyone else as well. In the app, go to the Menu (three dots in the upper right hand corner), choose Settings, then choose Google Account and select the account you use for Google Music. After that, all the artwork should appear again.

This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, especially since I had previously tried erasing all local data, which required me to select my account to start the app the first time again. Regardless, I'm just pleased it worked.

This works but only temporarily. Seems like a day or so after you need to do this step again to get artwork back. Annoying to say the least.

Shriiimp

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Same problem on Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 since the last Play Music App update. Also, I noticed a lock screen widget bug, where it shows up (the music one) when I have nothing playing. I hope they will update soon!

ACADM

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've got a Nexus5 and this bug is still there which is disappointing to say the least. The album art on the desktop Play Store is fine, you can even edit it yourself, but not so on the phone and it's not just purchased music but CD's I've ripped myself too. They mention 'Missing Album Art' in the Play Store support section but don't offer any type of fix.

I've tried deleting the music on the phone, and then 'undeleting' it from the Music Bin on the web Play Store, but still nothing.

Marissa Lauren

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I know this thread is old but I'm giving it a bump! :p

I just started using Google Play Music this week and I've been in the process of uploading my songs. So far, all the album art is showing on the website, but some of it is missing in the actual app on my phone.

I keep refreshing in settings and the missing art still isn't showing.. Not sure why or if there's something I'm doing wrong, but it's very frustrating. Any ideas other than just waiting to see what happens? Is there a way I can re-sync all the songs so they're overwritten or something?

By the way, I'm only using the cloud, nothing being stored/downloaded locally. Thanks in advance. :D

EpicRut

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
In the last few days, the Google Play music app on both my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 no longer have cover art for any of my music/artists. What's odd is if I visit the desktop player, all the art is still there.

I'm not sure if this happened exactly at the same time as the latest update, but it's possible the timing lines up. I've submitted a bug report to Google (not sure if that does any good), but has anyone else noticed the same thing? Just curious before I try anything drastic like wiping the app data and resyncing (only because I have several playlists marked for offline, and if I don't have to remark and download I'd prefer it).

I have all local music on my phone and in files it has all the proper mp3 covers but when u go to the Google play music app to play music, the mp3 covers go wacko and are misplaced and stuff

Irish Luck

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem, too. I was able to fix it by clearing the app data (which unfortunately deleted all my playlists), and then I scrolled through the albums to make sure the art was all there. One album was still missing its art, so I used the app Star Music Tag Editor to get it back. So if you're willing to lose your playlists (or back them up somehow) then that's a pretty easy and painless solution.

Jax Keeting

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yeah this is seriously getting on my nerves I have paid for so much music and spent days and weeks and months downloading to my cloud and google and everything you'd think we're paying 99 to a 1.29 a song they'd at least let us see our songs cover album come on google your better than that fix it!!!

dj311

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm constantly having to replace missing album art, I do it on the web browser version & then refresh my apps. Most annoying.

xithe

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
I have this problem on my Droid 2 Turbo and I just go to Settings/Apps/Google Play Music/Storage and Clear Data. Open the app and Voila all album art is restored.