I love my Android phone, the HTC Evo is amazing... except, for better quality photos I want to use my Canon 450D. Has anyone found a way connect an Android phone to a digital camera to upload photos taken on the DSLR to online sites like Flickr without having to use an intermediary like a notebook or PC? I want to stick with my my camera and smart phone while traveling.

Thanks!!!
    08-30-2010 06:34 AM
    does the Canon take SD cards? you could try an Eye-Fi card and the wifi hotspot capabilities of the android phone
    08-30-2010 06:49 AM
    Yes, the Canon camera does use SD format memory cards. I speculate that I could use some type of WiFi enabled SD card and attempt to create a private network connection over 802.11 to my phone but the drawback is that I already have some Class 6 SD cards for my camera and I would prefer to use these over a WiFi SD card.

Do they even make a micro usb to mini usb cable? I checked monoprice and they don't sell them.
    08-30-2010 07:13 AM
    Better yet... is there a micro usb memory card reader that would plug into the phone and read SD memory?
    08-30-2010 07:19 AM
    IIRC you'd need an app/hack for the device to operate as a host for the approach you're thinking of.
    08-30-2010 09:01 AM
    Simplest way might be a micro-SD to SD adapter, and take your pics on a micro-SD card, then put that in the phone. But I'm not sure that's really much easier than uploading to a PC and then to the web.
    08-30-2010 09:18 AM
    Would a portable file server work? Something like this USB device server? I'm not sure, but it looks like you could mount your camera as a disk drive through USB and then connect your EVO though USB as a client. I could be wrong though.
    08-30-2010 09:34 AM
    For as long as the Android OS has been out I would have thought that someone was able to connect a USB card reader to the droid and have it work???
    08-31-2010 07:07 AM
    It's certainly possible, but there are no official ways of doing it as of yet. I gather several custom-made ROMs have the ability to act as a USB host, thus enabling users to plug USB devices into the phone and access them that way. But it takes rooting and flashing your phone.
    08-31-2010 08:16 AM
    For as long as the Android OS has been out I would have thought that someone was able to connect a USB card reader to the droid and have it work???
    You'd need something called "USB Hosting". The reason it's not included is probably because it takes a lot of memory (all the drivers for the various USB devices) and phone makers want to minimize the amount on the phone. I'd love to be able to use my phone to tether to my camera as well, especially when the Android tablets are released. On the iPad, they use a hack...someone wrote an app that checks a web site every second and an app on a laptop that the camera is tethered to uploads the images to the laptop or web site, then the iPad app downloads a smaller version of the image and displays it...probably adds a few seconds to the display time but photographers like it.

If you have a Nexus One (the phone w/ the most memory), I think I remember someone hacking up a rom that you can connect a keyboard and a bunch of other USB devices too. You'd have to root your phone...
    08-31-2010 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD