I have started using Google Voice to text. But I am wondering if it is completely free - receiving as well as sending. In the settings, I have "notifications via text message" checked OFF so that I don't get a text message everytime I get a voice message or text message. So, does that make receiving AND sending texts on Google Voice free? Or am I still using Verizon's messaging plan?
    Verizon LG Ally
    09-02-2010 09:35 AM
    I can send & recieve from my google voice number on my PC. I'm not sure about on my phone though. It'd be cool if it could make calls over wi-fi...
    09-02-2010 10:17 AM
    I have started using Google Voice to text. But I am wondering if it is completely free - receiving as well as sending. In the settings, I have "notifications via text message" checked OFF so that I don't get a text message everytime I get a voice message or text message. So, does that make receiving AND sending texts on Google Voice free? Or am I still using Verizon's messaging plan?
    Verizon LG Ally
    If you are sending/receiving the SMS (Text messages) through the Google Voice app it is free.
    If you are sending/receiving SMS through the native android "messages" app it is not free, these are sent via your SMS/MMS plan (or pay by SMS/MMS if you don't have a plan).
    Log onto your Verizon account and you can see which SMS messages are being counted ("Text Usage" tab).

The only downside to Google Voice that I have found is that it does not "take over" as the default messaging app if someone sends you a SMS to your mobile number and you hit reply.
    09-02-2010 10:36 AM
    The only downside to Google Voice that I have found is that it does not "take over" as the default messaging app if someone sends you a SMS to your mobile number and you hit reply.
    It would be nice if they allowed it to take over the phone like that. Also, if Gtalk would get an update providing it with the voice/video, and now the call, features it has on the desktop. Who would need a carrier at that point? (Which I guess is probably a good reason why they won't do it... )
    09-02-2010 12:57 PM
    If you are sending/receiving the SMS (Text messages) through the Google Voice app it is free.
    If you are sending/receiving SMS through the native android "messages" app it is not free, these are sent via your SMS/MMS plan (or pay by SMS/MMS if you don't have a plan).
    Log onto your Verizon account and you can see which SMS messages are being counted ("Text Usage" tab).

I am using the app to send / receive the texts and like I said I have disabled the "text notification" option so that I don't get anything texted to me. I will check my account to see if it is making a difference.
    Thanks.
    09-02-2010 03:39 PM
    Is there any way to get regular texts sent to your phone routed through Google Voice so you don't incur text charges?
    09-02-2010 04:29 PM
    Is there any way to get regular texts sent to your phone routed through Google Voice so you don't incur text charges?
    No, you need to get a google voice phone number (free) and have people text to that number. (You can also forward calls made to the google voice number to any other phone number(s) you want).
    09-02-2010 05:13 PM
    I have Google Voice set up (kind of) so that I can use Handcent with my Google Voice number. This set up works if you have the patience. But its worth it if you have a text plan that you'd be paying extra for.

1. Text a contact from Google Voice; you can use either the phone app or the computer app.

2. When they reply and you get the message through your non-GV messaging client, they will have a ten digit number assigned to them that is not their phone number.

3. Save this separate number as OTHER in that contact, or whatever is most convenient.

4. When you text that number from Handcent, Chomp, or your default messaging client, it sends them texts from your Google Voice number.

This method is the only method that works, and it does work, if you don't want to use the GV app and you text alot. Two things to keep in mind:

1. The separate number that you save for them is not in anyway their phone number, it seems like a routing number, but it works every time.

2. It takes a little patience, but worth it to be able to use Handcent + Google Voice for free texts.
    09-02-2010 06:33 PM
    I use Google Voice exclusively for testing, but be aware that it does NOT work with MMS. You can't send an MMS thru Google Voice nor can you receive one.

You have to either email or use the carrier's messaging service instead.
    09-03-2010 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD