A while back on some forum (likely my Nexus 4 one), there was a discussion about changes in Facebook - that it was giving itself the ability to update itself without the user knowing or OK'ing it, bypassing Google Play. At the time people recommended just not to update.

I'm still running whatever version running then, and for my limited FB usage it's been fine. Problem now is that I'm starting to get messages about how it's an old version and that soon I won't be able to log into it.

So, since I haven't seen this issue mentioned recently, I figured this was a good place to ask - what is the current status of that issue? Have there been any problems with the newer FB app? I tried an online search, but all I could find was the earlier (March) warning, nothing recent, but maybe I used the wrong search options. OTOH I did find an article about FB having a new way to present ads, so that probably explains the current push.

Thanks.
    10-20-2013 08:49 AM
    Google nixed that problem a while ago, so Facebook will not be updating versions on its own--it has to go through Google Play.

As for problems with the more recent versions--I just find Facebook to be a slow and clunky app, regardless of how new the version is. The only reason I use it is because I still can't convince my friends to move to Google+, which has a far better interface on both mobile and desktop platforms!
    vlee likes this.
    10-20-2013 06:56 PM
    OK, thanks. I was surprised not to have found more discussion about it.

I was sort of dragged kicking & screaming into using Facebook when my employer decided we need a FB presence and that I should be active in monitoring it. Plus a lot of our clients use it; otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Anyhow, appreciate the response. Guess I'll update and settle in for a new round of advertisements .
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-21-2013 07:36 PM
    Anyhow, appreciate the response. Guess I'll update and settle in for a new round of advertisements
    Well, you never know--you might find a sexy single to hang out with or some miracle weight loss drug.
    10-21-2013 08:42 PM
    They haven't really done anything with the ads so far. In the future, they are talking about having video ads that start automatically while you scroll. Definitely not looking forward to that.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-21-2013 10:32 PM
    They haven't really done anything with the ads so far. In the future, they are talking about having video ads that start automatically while you scroll. Definitely not looking forward to that.

If that happens, I am so done with Facebook.
    Darin Gallagher likes this.
    10-21-2013 11:58 PM
    If that happens, I am so done with Facebook.
    I know. I am in a Group that I am on more than anything. That and family. If it wasn't for that, I would've been out long ago.

10-22-2013 12:03 AM
    Yeah, I'm also on a number of groups about subjects related to what my employer does. It's relatively useful for that (although I'm old enough to prefer either a listserv or Yahoo type of group). It annoys me otherwise for communicating - makes it too easy for people to share whatever flits through their minds and makes it too easy for spammers. The ads annoy me, but I understand it helps to pay the bills. But I think video ads would push me over the edge.
    10-22-2013 09:45 AM
    I don't think they will make a happy medium between making their users happy and making money. All they care about is the latter.

B. Diddy likes this.
    10-22-2013 10:02 AM
    People can say what they want about Google, but when you think about any kind of Google page, the first thing that comes to mind is never a giant annoying ad. The same can't be said about so many other sites like Facebook, Yahoo, etc ...
    10-22-2013 10:39 AM
    Very true!

10-22-2013 10:41 AM