The default calendar is bad, the date picker is bad, the repeat functionality is bad, there are not many options, it defaults to the built-in DB not the Google one, even if you disable the built-in one. My question is what is the best calendar entry alternative?

I'm using Gemini Calendar instead since you can create multi-day events easily from the calendar view, it has flexible repeat options (every Tues/Thursday for example) and options to include a clickable phone number. But I am wondering if there is something that works better, as this still has a way to go in usability IMO.
    09-02-2010 02:15 PM
    Jorte 4x3 Widget

Jorte - What is Jorte?
    09-02-2010 02:22 PM
    I like Touch Calendar. It's free, works well for me and has pinch to zoom.
    09-02-2010 02:29 PM
    im using the calendar you get with LauncherPro plus
    09-02-2010 02:35 PM
    The thing I'm talking about is about ENTRY not viewing, but actually getting things entered

I just tried this

Calendar Quick Add - Android app on AppBrain

So it is like the 'Quick add' feature on the Google web client. Works well and you can speak your entry. But this doesn't address weird repeat schedules, but still nice to have.

With Gemini you can put links to add a new event, add from your address book, or from your call log, which are great. I would like something though that had some templates like 'Doctor appointment', 'project meeting' etc.
    09-02-2010 02:44 PM
    I'm using Jorte also. I'd _really_ like to find something like Jorte or Calendar Pad that has "bi-weekly" options for repeats.

You get weekly, you get specific day of week for weekly, every 4th monday for monthly, why can't we get "bi-weekly"???
    09-02-2010 03:18 PM
    I use calendar pad. Great simple calendar that displays a month at a glance.
    09-02-2010 03:22 PM
    I'm using Jorte also. I'd _really_ like to find something like Jorte or Calendar Pad that has "bi-weekly" options for repeats.

You get weekly, you get specific day of week for weekly, every 4th monday for monthly, why can't we get "bi-weekly"???
    Gemini does bi-weekly. It is the only thing I have found that does repeating events well, and even if you don't use it to view your calendar, using it to enter events and then view in the default, Jorte, or your favorite widget is the only way to go right now (unless someone knows something else that does this too.)
    09-02-2010 03:40 PM
    If your calendar syncs up with Google calendars you can set biweekly on the PC
    09-02-2010 03:42 PM
    Actually it looks like the Pure Widgets let you do bi-weekly using their native entry interface, though it is a bit weird, you have to set the end date, can't leave it open-ended. Still Gemini though is the only one doing everything. Just it is ugly IMO, and has limited view option within the app itself.
    09-02-2010 03:43 PM
    Yeah but this is about Android apps
    09-02-2010 03:44 PM
    I use the Google calendar. It sets up repeat fine. You don't have to do it on the PC at all. Just use your browser in full site mode if need be. I DON'T like the stock app that links to the Google calendar though. I miss my Palm Treo today screen. I like having a list of up coming events on my main home screen. I found the perfect app for it. Smooth Calendars. It links the Google calendar and then you can set it how you wnat. It's on my main page and it list three items and if more are on that day it scrolls through them. It looks like the widget that comes stock. The problem I had with that was it always showed what was coming up tomorrow even if what was scheduled had not occured yet. Try Smooth Calendars, it shows what is happening today. And depending on what is happening, it might show tomorrow and hte next day if nothing is coming up today.
    09-02-2010 05:18 PM
    Incorrect, as far as I can tell. The app will pull the first example of the event, but use it's native database (which doesn't seem to know what a bi-weekly repeat is) for displaying it's calendar. The result? The event on google's calendar repeats fine, while the event on my phone shows only the first occurrence.

And to the previous poster, yes the native app does repeat just fine, but only for the specific types of repeat that it supports.

EDIT: Something else is going on. Gemini calendar is picking up the 2-week event, but not it's repeat events. Weird.
    01-25-2011 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD