BBM for Android - Battery drain

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, I got BBM installed and my BlackBerry ID set up last night. No one to chat with yet, but I really haven't had time yet anyway, so no big deal. However, it does seem like my Note 2's battery is draining a bit faster than before. Is anyone else noticing this?

rain3man

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I installed last night too. I use it to do a bit of conversation not a whole bunch. will know more in a day or too. so far this am not too bad of battery drain. I love BBM. I missed it as I moved over from BB 6 months ago and I seem to only miss a few things. I miss BBM and a more robust set of notification setting and sounds. Repeat notifications too. Anyway I love BBM

rain3man

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I installed last night too. I use it to do a bit of conversation not a whole bunch. will know more in a day or too. so far this am not too bad of battery drain. I love BBM. I missed it as I moved over from BB 6 months ago and I seem to only miss a few things. I miss BBM and a more robust set of notification setting and sounds. Repeat notifications too. Anyway I love BBM

- - - Updated - - -

Battery is fine no issues. Seems fine up all dad sent and received 10 messages

rain3man

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
No issues battery fine. Up all day battery seems same as normal day. Sent and received 10+ messages including photos and a short audio message.

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Good to know. I may have another app causing issues. Not sure what it is, though. I have a sneaking suspicion that Exchange is causing some drain, as Wakelock Detector consistently has it far and away the top app in terms of keeping the device awake. Still, it seems like the battery has been draining faster since yesterday. Any other good free battery analyzers I could try to get a better handle on what's going on?

woodjc01

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I too have experienced the battery drain on my Razr Maxx HD. Not horrible but definitely draining faster than before installing the app.

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I too have experienced the battery drain on my Razr Maxx HD. Not horrible but definitely draining faster than before installing the app.

Glad it's not just me. I made a change to my Exchange settings, just to make sure it isn't that, but I don't think so. I should know more later today, after I watch my battery a while.

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Extra process loaded = more battery load, but it doesn't seem to be disproportionate. My feeling is the extra drain is mostly due to more screen activity.

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Just read comments from a couple of folks in the BBM poll article that said they're seeing the same thing. One of them has a GS3. Not sure about the other yet. Could this be something that's only affecting Samsung devices?

arukaen

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC One and I feel that I am seeing more battery drain too. I normally go 9 hrs and work and get home with like 80%+ battery (don't have much time to use the phone at work). Last night I got home and have about 60%+

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Extra process loaded = more battery load, but it doesn't seem to be disproportionate. My feeling is the extra drain is mostly due to more screen activity.

I don't think it's the screen, since, although I have BBM running, I don't have anyone to chat with yet, so it's just sitting there.

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
There's a more active thread over at CB that's also discussing this issue. It all seems hit or miss, but Samsung devices seem particularly susceptible, although other models are also being affected. Shutting off the persistent icon in the notification bar is helping at least some folks. Of course, the problem with doing that is that Android could shut down the app if memory gets low, and that's not something you want to happen.

Hopefully the update that was just released addresses this. I guess we'll see.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbm-android-f406/battery-drain-863496/

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
No issues with battery drain here. I've been active in a few BBM groups using an N4. It's my opinion, having tried both cross platform ui's that the Android is the better of the two.

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
OK, some practical figures. In 14 hours usage yesterday my work GS3 dropped to 46% battery. Busy day so most usage was voice and email, with BBM mostly standby/idle. Battery stats reported BBM at just 5% of the 64% used. 100*(0.64*0.05) = 3.2% of battery capacity used by BBM in 14 hours. I consider that acceptable.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante