Hi, I have a wifi-only Tablet and I was wondering if the device tracker (like the one google has on the Google Play or third parties ones such as AVG) are really usefull in those type of devices.

If I lose or if I get stolen and the tablet is locked I can not track it, because it will have no internet connection to actually track the device (except on the highly unlike scenario of the "thief" turn on the tablet (or take the tablet out of sleep mode) exactely when he passes by a wifi network which has been already used by the tablet owner).

If I have my Tablet stolen, for example, the first thing I'll try to do is locate it. If I see it is not trackable after a while then I would think about reset all the info inside it by the google play page. I imagine that if the tablet has a password then then first thing the thief would do is to erase all data on the tablet. If there is not a password, then there is the possiblity of him actually try to use the device, and then I would have a chance to track it.

The problem with this "theory", of course, is that if I leave the tablet without a password and the thief is not that stupid, he would actually erase the tablet. I could use an app locker to protect with password all the apps with personal information, but if I block also the "settings app", then the thief wouldn't have access to the wifi field.

Do you guys know if there is a way to put a password on the Factory Data Reset only? or to allow wifi changes only?

And please let me know if what I said makes sense (like, pros and cons of leaving the device without password).
    10-25-2013 05:57 AM
    Hi, I have a wifi-only Tablet and I was wondering if the device tracker (like the one google has on the Google Play or third parties ones such as AVG) are really usefull in those type of devices.

If I lose or if I get stolen and the tablet is locked I can not track it, because it will have no internet connection to actually track the device (except on the highly unlike scenario of the "thief" turn on the tablet (or take the tablet out of sleep mode) exactely when he passes by a wifi network which has been already used by the tablet owner).

If I have my Tablet stolen, for example, the first thing I'll try to do is locate it. If I see it is not trackable after a while then I would think about reset all the info inside it by the google play page. I imagine that if the tablet has a password then then first thing the thief would do is to erase all data on the tablet. If there is not a password, then there is the possiblity of him actually try to use the device, and then I would have a chance to track it.

The problem with this "theory", of course, is that if I leave the tablet without a password and the thief is not that stupid, he would actually erase the tablet. I could use an app locker to protect with password all the apps with personal information, but if I block also the "settings app", then the thief wouldn't have access to the wifi field.

Do you guys know if there is a way to put a password on the Factory Data Reset only? or to allow wifi changes only?

And please let me know if what I said makes sense (like, pros and cons of leaving the device without password).
    Welcome to the forums.
    You could password protect the device, and then get an app like App Lock to protect settings. You should use 2 different passwords if you choose to do this.
    The thing is, there is almost always a way around anything.
    Probably the best thing to do is do not keep any sensitive info on your tablet, use a password, or get the app lock and use 2.
    10-25-2013 09:41 AM