Remote-notifier

todivefor

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Anyone get this to work on a mac with Growl? Can't get it to work. Have it setup as wifi. Growl setup to listen for remote notifications. Nothing come thru.

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here....im going to try a couple of things ill keep you guys posted. Currently I am trying to do it via BT.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i just installed this now. i like to keep my WIFI off and i love how this app will automatically turn it on and off for you in order to send a notification. "auto enable WIFI". free caller ID for your phone on your computer. sweet!

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
QUESTION - what happens if i'm connected to a Public WIFI like Panera or Starbucks etc.?

how does the Notifier know who i am? and if i'm not me, who am i?

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
QUESTION - what happens if i'm connected to a Public WIFI like Panera or Starbucks etc.?

how does the Notifier know who i am? and if i'm not me, who am i?

this is why i want BT to work. I dont want to be in a public wifi and be open. I guessing you would need to know the IP of your computer. i dont know if there is a mac address option.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i'm still trying wrap my mind around what would happen while connected to a public WIFI network. i wonder if everyone who had the Desktop Notifier installed and was connected would also get your notifications?

it would be nice if you could lock the App into a specific WIFI network - ie your HOME network.

roblee37

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Texdro - Desktop SMS
by crackedsun
1,000 downloads, 73 ratings (4.2 avg)
Free
rating8.png

this one works great for me, its just for texting, but I got it to work using my usb modem (clearwire) and my regular 3g/4g service without the need for wifi.. i did setup using wifi but if i'm not home i don't need it..

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
the caller ID is critical as sometimes i'm lying in bed at night with my Netbook and the phone is in the other room and i hear it ring. who is it? a booty call? an annoying friend? that hot chick i met last week? this way i will see it on the Netbook and i don't have to get up.

of course NAME caller ID would be nice as with the advent of smartphones i don't know many numbers anymore but i can guess fairly accurately or do a quick lookup.

lilboi

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
doesn't work for my EVO paired with Vista. Everytime i get a message, my computer will show the loading circle on the cursor for a second, but not actually do anything. No notifications pop up.

Sonicaholic

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Now I have my Wi-Fi working thanks to ook ;)

I have installed this to check it out and it paired first time with vista. I only turn it on when I'm at home or office so I don't need to worry about being discovered on open networks like starbucks or maciedees doing this will also save battery as it's not searching for Wi-Fi or BT every time you get a call or message.
If you have more than one android device in the house and both have this app on but you dont want to see your spouses girlfriends txting all dam night ..... open the app on the phone and on PC open the preferances window and tick only from these devices and send a test signal from your phone, now you dont see anythink but your own notifications sweet. ;)

Maybe doing this in reverse to pair your phone with specific servers would be somethink the dev could add in a future update. I would also like to see email and peep/twitter notification added to this aswell in the future to make it a truly awsome bit of office kit. This would also save me from taking my phone out of the desk draw at work every time I get an email purly to see if its not spam.

I have used this for a full working day now and heres the result of charging notifications on my tabbed dock.
As is clearly visible its now running 7 copies of the desktop app.

Last edited:

Argent

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Running W7 x86 and trying to get this to work via BT as well (I don't have my WiFi turned on ever) and I can get the phone to pair with the laptop but not connect so it doesn't work for me either....

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I just uninstalled this app for now. I don't want it searching for wifi when im away from home every time i get a text or call. A nice option would be "only send notification when phone is charging".

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It's a neat idea and almost there - if only BlueTooth would work. Instead of broadcasting the notifications I've got it set up to send messages explicitly to my hostname (using the Dynamic DNS option at Free DNS). On my router I forward port 10600 to my desktop which is running android-notifier-desktop. Because of this I get notifications even without wifi active as I can send them using TCP through the 3G connection. The only problem is getting it to work at the office on my laptop as well - but I'll probably just wait for Bluetooth to start working. For Ubuntu users, there's a repository that will update the application automatically. The documentation includes the term "insensitive clod" so you know it's a well-written app! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer