Parental Monitoring App?

tdcrone

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have three kids, who between them use three tablets and (after Christmas, shhh!) four Android phones that I would like to monitor. My main interests are:
- knowing what apps the kids are using, and web history;
- knowing when apps are installed/removed;
- knowing how long each kid has used their systems over the day; and
- knowing -when- they have used the system.

As you can see this is all inactive data, so a lot of the parental control apps are way too much overhead. Besides that, they are crazy expensive - $2 to $8 per month per device! That's all well and good for one device, but for seven monitored devices - and knowing I'll be monitoring at least one kid's devices for the next 15 years - that turns out to be a chunk of change.

I wrote a quick hack in Tasker for my phone; it logs to a file when there is a new window, screen on/off event, and I can do app add/removes once I get to it. I can sync to Dropbox. That actually works pretty well, except for the web history. However, I would prefer a more polished interface, and my experience with Tasker on the (low-end) tablets has not been great.

I've gone through everything I can find in the Play Store. "Screen Time" is probably closest to what I want, but - aside from hating the subscription model in general, especially for something that doesn't have a web-side component - it has been inconsistent because it keeps getting bumped from the memory of the kids' tablets. It also lacks web history, so I'm not a lot better off than just using Tasker, which at least tends to stay in memory when activated as an administrator.

Anyone know of an app that does what I want? Strong preference to a standalone app, even if it's expensive, that does not have a subscription model and can be purchased through the Play Store. Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have three kids, who between them use three tablets and (after Christmas, shhh!) four Android phones that I would like to monitor. My main interests are:
- knowing what apps the kids are using, and web history;
- knowing when apps are installed/removed;
- knowing how long each kid has used their systems over the day; and
- knowing -when- they have used the system.

As you can see this is all inactive data, so a lot of the parental control apps are way too much overhead. Besides that, they are crazy expensive - $2 to $8 per month per device! That's all well and good for one device, but for seven monitored devices - and knowing I'll be monitoring at least one kid's devices for the next 15 years - that turns out to be a chunk of change.

I wrote a quick hack in Tasker for my phone; it logs to a file when there is a new window, screen on/off event, and I can do app add/removes once I get to it. I can sync to Dropbox. That actually works pretty well, except for the web history. However, I would prefer a more polished interface, and my experience with Tasker on the (low-end) tablets has not been great.

I've gone through everything I can find in the Play Store. "Screen Time" is probably closest to what I want, but - aside from hating the subscription model in general, especially for something that doesn't have a web-side component - it has been inconsistent because it keeps getting bumped from the memory of the kids' tablets. It also lacks web history, so I'm not a lot better off than just using Tasker, which at least tends to stay in memory when activated as an administrator.

Anyone know of an app that does what I want? Strong preference to a standalone app, even if it's expensive, that does not have a subscription model and can be purchased through the Play Store. Thanks!

There is an app called AppLock in Play. That locks the Playstore, and other apps (Including Settings) and uninstalling apps with a PIN or password.

Another method is you can set content filtering in Play to limit what each user can see for available apps. Now, this would require them to not have control over the Gmail account in question.

Offhand, I am not sure of anything that would limit web browsing.

Karan78

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
If you want to have complete volume control of your device you should try Smart Volume Control+. It's easy to use, doesn't require much memory and so far I haven't noticed any bugs. You can also control other features of your device like wifi, other apps etc.

Teregud

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
If you want to have complete volume control of your device you should try Smart Volume Control+. It's easy to use, doesn't require much memory and so far I haven't noticed any bugs. You can also control other features of your device like wifi, other apps etc.

I agree with you! As a Smart Volume Control + user I can confirm that it works great. Changing different volume profiles has never been easier. You can set up profiles with different options easily. Worth trying because there is a free version too.