01-11-2011 09:50 AM
33 12
tools
    An innovative new file manager is available for Android, see ScaliCommander,
    a free version is available!
    Feedback is highly appreciated
    09-11-2010 08:34 PM
    09-12-2010 08:53 AM
    Seems promising. The free version doesn't do much, which makes it hard to evaluate actual use, but navigating between folders is intuitive and I like seeing two directories when doing file management.

Be nice to try the picture view you show in the image above - can't seem to figure out how to get there.

I like the color coding of files vs. folders, although the green used for folders is pretty low contrast vs. the white background - makes it hard to read, at least for my old eyes. Maybe darken it a bit?

I find the click left to open, click right for pop-up menu...just a source of error. Everywhere else in android you long-click for a menu. I'm sure with time using Scalicommander I'd remember the left/right system most of the time - but why? To save half a second, at the cost of more mistakes? I'd encourage you to drop this and stick with the Android UI guideline here. YMMV.
    09-12-2010 09:54 AM
    - all colors will get configurable, the default values will get optimized
    - the "click left to open, click right for pop-up menu" may get changeable to the Android-standard, but saving the time for long click is very important for me
    - where exactly is your problem to get a view like the one in the image above?
    09-12-2010 12:57 PM
    looks promising dose it handle .zip files and .apk instalation ? if so you got me as I'm having to use 2 file managers at the moment as none on the market are actualy capable of what I would deam full file support & managment.
    09-12-2010 05:20 PM
    i dont mean to tell you how to do things....But considering ima self-certified visual expert....I suggest making the app black/carbonfiber-esque with white letters....I wish all apps used this format bcuz i HATE white backrounds
    09-13-2010 01:44 AM
    looks promising dose it handle .zip files and .apk instalation ? if so you got me as I'm having to use 2 file managers at the moment as none on the market are actualy capable of what I would deam full file support & managment.
    :-/
    Astro handles both
    Sonicaholic likes this.
    09-13-2010 02:00 AM
    Ok thanks for heads up but it still only unzips what if I want to bundle a few files up into a zip file to email.
    09-13-2010 04:18 AM
    Then create a new zip directory
    09-13-2010 04:19 AM
    Then create a new zip directory
    Dose that mean its capable of zipping up and if so how exactly would I go about that, as holding till edit window pops and going to edit only gives you the option to open.
    On the s60 platform it was all handled with a winrar app.
    09-13-2010 07:32 AM
    i dont mean to tell you how to do things....But considering ima self-certified visual expert....
    ROTFL except when it comes to proof reading your own posts!!!
    I am sorry I mean no harm and am just kidding around but it struck me funny for some reason .... ii
    09-13-2010 10:38 AM
    lol

sent from the current baddest cell phone on the planet.....the HTC Evo 4G
    09-13-2010 11:50 AM
    I hope he makes the background configurable, because personally, I HATE dark apps.
    09-13-2010 11:51 AM
    Dose that mean its capable of zipping up and if so how exactly would I go about that, as holding till edit window pops and going to edit only gives you the option to open.
    On the s60 platform it was all handled with a winrar app.
    Menu>new>zip directory
    Sonicaholic likes this.
    09-13-2010 12:24 PM
    in the next version of ScaliCommander, all colors, standard font sizes... will be configurable and it will support zip/unzip with multi-select and drag-and-drop!

will be out very soon, working hard!
    Sonicaholic likes this.
    09-13-2010 01:09 PM
    i dont mean to tell you how to do things....But considering ima self-certified visual expert....I suggest making the app black/carbonfiber-esque with white letters....I wish all apps used this format bcuz i HATE white backrounds
    Sorry but just because you like or dislike something, does not mean it is the best way to do things. People are different and tastes vary, this is why we have what they call "choices."

I personally like the white schemes of most software, as opposed to the black. I usually like tiny hi-res black fonts on a white/light background for most programs but I also use white letters on a black background, like you prefer, depending on the program. It depends on the program and what I am doing.

I personally feel all developers should always allow user definable colors, backgrounds and fonts at the very least.
    So I agree that all software should have at least a black and white scheme if they do not offer user definable options.

Don't take this the wrong way but you need to learn that people are different and not PUSH your so called "self expertise" just because you have a specific color preference. Next time just suggest he implement a dark scheme.

Personal choice is key and one reason I love Android, we are not forced into what one company or person says we should like.
    09-13-2010 02:58 PM
    Menu>new>zip directory
    Derr how did I miss that Now I feel realy blond :O

in the next version of ScaliCommander, all colors, standard font sizes... will be configurable and it will support zip/unzip with multi-select and drag-and-drop!
    will be out very soon, working hard!
    Fab news I look forward to it as your UI looks nice multiple file view with drag&drop is a lovely way to navigate round a file browser. Will you be adding .apk installation in the future? I can't wait to check this out when you update as a file browser is 1app I use many times a day.

@paladin I also prefer black txt on white but reverse it were I can as it lowers the screens battery usage.

PS: sorry if I temporerily hijacked the thread it wasn't my intention.
    09-14-2010 10:26 AM
    -free adjustment of all colors and sizes with real-time apply
    -multi-select
    see ScaliCommander!

09-17-2010 07:09 PM
    Fab news I look forward to it as your UI looks nice multiple file view with drag&drop is a lovely way to navigate round a file browser. Will you be adding .apk installation in the future? I can't wait to check this out when you update as a file browser is 1app I use many times a day.
    currently implementing zip-support...
    what exactly do you mean by .apk installation? you can install an .apk simply by opening it with the package manager - could add batch-install
    what do you think of the new look and color, size changing in 1.1?
    09-19-2010 03:57 AM
    New version 1.1.1:

support for
    copy/move/delete of many/large files/folders
    with expressive confirmation/progress/result dialogs,
    operations may be aborted at any time

see the website for details

Update for Trial coming soon!

09-20-2010 09:00 PM
    Trial now supports opening files!

thorough ZIP-support
    - browse inside ZIP-archives, open files directly
    - extract with drag-and-drop, easily zip/unzip multiple files/folders
    - detailed progress dialogs, abort operations at any time

see the website for details

09-26-2010 03:30 PM
    - Search: browse results while searching, sort while searching, search inside ZIP, filter by file type
    - long-click for context menu, long-click / double-click for drag-select
    - color gradients and glow
    - drag-and-drop with multiple items, clipboard, trash

Contribution Challenge, first round: 5 * €1000

- Discover the features
    --> find out why ScaliCommander is the most advanced file manager for a mobile device and consider how it can get even better

- Contribute your way
    --> find bugs
    --> make videos/screenshots/tutorials/... to show the features
    --> compile the best color themes
    --> suggest features
    --> ...
    --> whatever YOU think helps most to improve ScaliCommander!
    send your contributions to gslngr@googlemail.com

- Get rewarded
    -->Spread the word, make ScaliCommander known...
    --> ...When the full version of ScaliCommander hits 10,000 downloads, gslngr Soft will reward the 5 best contributions with €1000 each!

see the website for details and updates
    10-05-2010 11:08 PM
    - progress bars for search
    - drag-and-drop for clipboard
    - create ZIP from items in clipboard
    - show/hide hidden items via settings menu
    - many fixes and improvements
    10-07-2010 08:06 PM
    ScaliCommander's website http://sites.google.com/site/gslngr is now updated with detailed descriptions of the new features and more infos about the contribution challenge, and a "known issues" section has been added - if you find bugs, please report them to gslngr@googlemail.com, they will then be listed there along with possible workarounds. If you opt for, your name will be listed.

As you will notice, the screenshots and videos are outdated, so a good first contribution to the challenge might be screenshots, videos, and color themes - the next version may include some predefined themes for quicker adjustment.
    10-08-2010 01:01 PM
    Derr how did I miss that Now I feel realy blond :O
    Ha?... Some of us don't appreciate the connotation.
    10-08-2010 02:00 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD