Suggestion Needed: App like ZoneAlarm for Gingerbread

thehyperone

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
OK, here's the deal. I'm running an old Android 2.3 Gingerbread device (Motorola MB632) on a prepaid carrier. I'm floating around services and typically only have 50MB to 150MB a month. On Windows, there's an app called Zone Alarm (I think) that basically throws a popup asking permission whenever an app attempts to send or receive network data. I'd like something similar for Android that will intercept every attempt an app tries to send or receive data over 3G and prompt me to allow or deny the activity. That way, I can choose wisely how I spend my paltry allotment of megabytes. My device is not rooted. I'm not opposed to rooting it if need be.

Anybody know of an app that will accomplish what I'm after?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, here's the deal. I'm running an old Android 2.3 Gingerbread device (Motorola MB632) on a prepaid carrier. I'm floating around services and typically only have 50MB to 150MB a month. On Windows, there's an app called Zone Alarm (I think) that basically throws a popup asking permission whenever an app attempts to send or receive network data. I'd like something similar for Android that will intercept every attempt an app tries to send or receive data over 3G and prompt me to allow or deny the activity. That way, I can choose wisely how I spend my paltry allotment of megabytes. My device is not rooted. I'm not opposed to rooting it if need be.

Anybody know of an app that will accomplish what I'm after?

You can also try Settings>Data Usage>select any app and you might be able to disable background data. Now, this doesn't stop when you open an app, the background data will happen as long as the app is open..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz