Mobile Recovery (VZW Only)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey guy ran across this over at XDA, went and found some information about it and gave it a try. This is a free service for anyone who is enrolled on Verizon with Asurion Total Equipment Coverage (TEC). It's called Mobile Recovery.

https://www.mymobilerecovery.com/public/verizon/phones_supported.jsp

(It also works with, *shutter*, BlackBerry / Windows Mobile / and Palm devices)

It runs in the background waiting on commands from a text message sent from their site. It can be configured to not report GPS all the way down to every 5 minutes. You can login to their site should someone steal your phone or you simply lose it. Heck even if you can't find it in your house.

Once you download it to your phone and accept the terms you create a username and pin code via the app on the phone. Once you have it registered (takes seconds) you can goto their website and login and locate your phone, lock your phone (via the app not Android lock screen), wipe your phone (only if you use VZW backup assistant eck..), sound an alarm on your phone, and get a google map for the corresponding options.

Really great I installed it and tried it out tonight and it works pretty good. Run in the background but doesn't really use anything! Wonderful thing and in my opinion another great advantage to having insurance on your phone. (I'm sure it cuts their costs on a phone here and there.)

Anywho figured I would point it out for all of you.

Ameeelia.

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I was way stoked for this, until I read that I had to add insurance back onto my plan in order to use it. This should just be an extra safeguard that ALL carriers allow ALL of their customers to use!

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I was way stoked for this, until I read that I had to add insurance back onto my plan in order to use it. This should just be an extra safeguard that ALL carriers allow ALL of their customers to use!

vzw must get $omething out of this

It's called possibly lower rates of incident, it also attracts people to purchasing insurance. If you don't have it you will wish you did when something happens. IE they recovery a phone instead of having to replace it. I'm sure Verizon is getting something out of it, it's called a free market economy.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you go to the site it sends a text message with a link to the app ,but how or where do you go to register so you have the pin to enter into it? :confused:

Edit: nevermind I fiqured it out lol, it was a short night for sleeping but I am awake now , LOL :)

Last edited:

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Once you have the app downloaded to your phone, you run the app and it will ask for email and PIN...that is when you are creating the account. That is when you make up your PIN.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
It's called possibly lower rates of incident, it also attracts people to purchasing insurance. If you don't have it you will wish you did when something happens. IE they recovery a phone instead of having to replace it. I'm sure Verizon is getting something out of it, it's called a free market economy.

unless I am wrong Asurion handles insurance claims but I am not sure if they are owned by verizon and in that case I can see the reason but if they are not they must be getting kick back for getting people to sign up

I also have a tracking app on my phone I paid $5 for that is very similar

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Once you have the app downloaded to your phone, you run the app and it will ask for email and PIN...that is when you are creating the account. That is when you make up your PIN.

Yeah thats what throwed me this "early" morning ,lol the "pin thing" I was looking for a way to register online when as you pointed out that ,,"you make up the PIN number from the app itself ", an I was in then ;)

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Is this legit? I have a hard time believing Verizon and Asurion would release an app like this and not make it available in the Verizon section of the market. Having to go to a 3rd party site to download and install an "official" app seems a little fishy to me.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
unless I am wrong Asurion handles insurance claims but I am not sure if they are owned by verizon and in that case I can see the reason but if they are not they must be getting kick back for getting people to sign up

I also have a tracking app on my phone I paid $5 for that is very similar

This is free? They aren't owned by Verizon. Of course they get a kickback TEC coverage is $7.99 a month!! Come on people......

Is this legit? I have a hard time believing Verizon and Asurion would release an app like this and not make it available in the Verizon section of the market. Having to go to a 3rd party site to download and install an "official" app seems a little fishy to me.

Each to his own. The domain is listed as the owner being Martin Carmichael which is the COO of Asurion, it uses Asurion's DNS servers, hosted on the same IP range, and has the same contact information. Granted the contact information etc could be faked, but not the DNS servers.

It probably isn't offered in the Verizon section of the market, because it either hasn't been approved yet, or Verizon hasn't put it up etc etc etc. If you don't trust it don't use it, simple.

And why am I defending this APP and why are people so aggresive over something like this!? Who give a flying rats rear if someone is getting a kickback etc. I clearly stated in the first post acouple of requirements:

1. VZW ONLY
2. Must have TEC coverage with Verizon through Asurion
3. Must accept the terms and create an account

It's not some big conspiracy cover-up by Verizon to, GASP, make more money.......it merely an added option that Asurion can offer to hopefully make some people sign up for their coverage at $7.99 a month, offer people who do use it another reason why to use it, and pay Verizon their cut of the profits. Guys you know they don't do anything unless they are all making money doing it. Makes me wonder why people react like this?! This post was merely to point out to the people who have insurance on their $600 phones, who pay for TEC, and wanted a pretty cool free app for the money they are spending. Nothing more nothing less, next thing you know someone will accuse that I work for VZW or Asurion and I'm getting kick back on this, lol.

Last edited:

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I bet you are getting kickback ;)

I only put that because VZW and their nickle and dime tactics bother me so it was a dig at them not you at all. And I know they are a business and in this to make money but just the way they do it bothers me sometimes so I throw my dig out.

All in all if this does the same thing mobile defense does then this is a great option for anyone who has the insurance. Maybe I should install it and compare the 2

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why Verizon is the bad-guy for supporting new optional tech from one of its partners? If you already have insurance from Asurion (I do), this is just gravy.

And if Asurion made it available, but Verizon didn't participate, VZW would get LAMBASTED by Asurion subscribers for not taking part.

Get real, people. If you don't want the insurance, don't whine that the INSURANCE COMPANY won't let you use their product for free...

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
From any computer web browser, you can do any of the following:

Locate phone (shows you a map)
Lock phone
Wipe phone
Sound Alarm sound

You can also file an Asurion claim on the website.

See, I'm not sure that's right. Some places it just says "wipe," but in the Learn More section it says:

If your phone is ever lost, use Mobile Recovery to remotely erase the contacts from your device and lock your phone from use to keep your private information from falling into the wrong hands.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc