Any apps that offer security on public WiFi networks?

demon311

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I am going on a business trip soon. I usually bring my laptop and connect to a VPN for security on a hotels WiFi. This trip I dont plan on bringing a laptop, rather just my Android tablet.

Is there an app that can give me security on a public WiFi network?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
You could use VPN on your android device. I have VPN setup at home and use the openvpn app to connect to it from my phone.

Posted via Android Central App

demon311

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
You could use VPN on your android device. I have VPN setup at home and use the openvpn app to connect to it from my phone.

What program do you use at home for VPN? The only VPN ive used in the past is for work, which our IT department setup (I believe its Citrix)

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
What program do you use at home for VPN? The only VPN ive used in the past is for work, which our IT department setup (I believe its Citrix)

Well in my case I use pfsense as my firewall which has VPN built-in that one can setup.

Might be some other ways or check and see if your router has it built-in. Also there are VPN services you can subscribe to though I can't vouch for any of them as I've allows used my own.

Dr Rose

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
The Android platform has an outstanding built-in PPTP/L2TP VPN connection tool so you don't need any other VPN client.
It's created from the Wireless And Network settings window.
To get to this window, click your phone’s Menu button. When that menu pops up, tap the Wireless And Network Settings button. Tap "VPN".

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The Android platform has an outstanding built-in PPTP/L2TP VPN connection tool so you don't need any other VPN client.
It's created from the Wireless And Network settings window.
To get to this window, click your phone?s Menu button. When that menu pops up, tap the Wireless And Network Settings button. Tap "VPN".

In my case, not an option since it doesn't support openvpn.

Astercool

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
When you are using public wifi , You might put your personal information into the hands of hackers, It can be your work place, Airports, Hotels, shpping centers.
They can sniff on your connection and see what you are doing, they can steal your credit card details, Your passwords and even they can access your personal data.
But there is a always a way, The easiest way is to get a VPN and secure your connection, When you are using VPN, Your connection is encrypted , and the hackers or your boss can not see what you are doing and what websites you are visiting. It's easy to get a vpn and set it up on your devices, The good thing is that it works on both your computer and your smartphone. So if the security matters, don't hesitate.
There is a good article at saturnvpn , Take a look. "How does VPN protect privacy" saturnvpn. com/how-vpn-protect-privacy/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze