You have $10 in Google Play Credit...

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to sharing that you scored the Cyber Monday deal on a social media account that you don't really use anyway, the MotoGoogles gave you $10 in Google Play Credit.

-You don't play games on your phone.
-You already have an Office Suite program you like.
-You already have a calendar app that works like a dream.
-You don't have the stomach to root your phone.
-They stopped making good music in the 80's and you can probably start your own radio station with your music collection.

What app(s) would you buy?

Thanks in advance.

--
Somebody, somewhere, right now is stuffing Twinkies in their shorts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How about a good 3rd party launcher like Nova Launcher Prime? You can make your homescreens more flexible, and there can even be a performance boost compared to using the stock launcher. These 3rd party launchers typically have a free version, and the full paid version only costs about $4, with added features.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
+1 for Nova.
I'd buy SkipLock. You can set certain Bluetooth devices or WiFi networks to automatically skip any passwords you have set up for your lock screen. So, let's say you're at home, you don't really need one as much as you would as if you were out in public.
Really useful if you don't want to leave your phone unlocked but are tired of putting in the pin at ALL times

Posted via Android Central App

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd thought about a launcher, but I'm only using 3/5 of the screens in my default launcher as is.

The skip thing - keep in mind that I'm an old man - basically makes it so your phone knows where it is and what familiar devices are around and adjusts settings accordingly? Like it smells your wifi at home and automatically switches over? Knows you got into the car with BT and turns on the radio? That kind of thing?

--

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd thought about a launcher, but I'm only using 3/5 of the screens in my default launcher as is.

The skip thing - keep in mind that I'm an old man - basically makes it so your phone knows where it is and what familiar devices are around and adjusts settings accordingly? Like it smells your wifi at home and automatically switches over? Knows you got into the car with BT and turns on the radio? That kind of thing?

--

That's correct--SkipLock should be able to detect a wifi network or Bluetooth device that you specify, and when it does detect it, it skips the pattern or PIN unlock, just saving a step for you. If you're at home on your own network, there is presumably no need for your phone to be locked--however, once you leave home and log on to another wifi network, your pattern or PIN unlock will become active again.

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Any thoughts on if a password manager is worth buying?

--

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's worthwhile. There are so many accounts and passwords and PINs that you have to remember, sooner or later you'll forget. I use mSecure, which is good.

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I looked at mSecure, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't have Dropbox. I use Google Drive and mSecure doesn't support it for some reason. Is there a good one that works with Google Drive that anyone recommends?

Oh, I do have Office Suite Pro. Picked it up as a freebie from Amazon some time back.

The calendar from the notification bar might be interesting. I use Business Calendar Pro right now and have a 4x2 widget on my home screen doing that job, but I still only get a day or two of a heads up. I presume since BCP syncs with my Google Calendar that the program will work just fine with it, so I'll give it a whirl.

--

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I actually prefer a password app that does NOT sync to the cloud, due to the sensitivity of the info.

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

I went with mSecure. It looks a little dated, but it's getting the job done.

--

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
+1 for Nova.
I'd buy SkipLock. You can set certain Bluetooth devices or WiFi networks to automatically skip any passwords you have set up for your lock screen. So, let's say you're at home, you don't really need one as much as you would as if you were out in public.
Really useful if you don't want to leave your phone unlocked but are tired of putting in the pin at ALL times

Delayed lock is $2.99 versus the $5 for Skip Lock. I'm using the free trial version for Delayed Lock to make sure it works well.

Anyways, I have the $10 credit, too. I'm thinking of Tasker $2.99 and Delayed Lock. Tasker can be setup as to do a Trusted Device functionality, but I ran into some issues with Bluetooth.