Issues with Locale

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded this app and think it's one of the coolest, most practical ideas ever, but I can't get mine to work consistently. I have the GPS set to my work location to set the phone to vibrate. When I leave, it should set back to Ring, right? Sometimes it does - sometimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to nail it down to any one thing.

Anybody else having this issue or any ideas?

raqiib

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
that kind of defeats the purpose of locale, if i just base it on time....right now i'm experimenting with FoxyRing...with some of the same problems...for some reason it keeps wanting to "forclose"...

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I think it has to deal with me being indoors

Even then, it should register your location as you drive up to it. The GPS isn't precise enough to only activate when you're at your desk or even in the building.

The crazy thing is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It may be that if my phone is in my holster it can't get a GPS signal and therefore doesn't know. I'm going to try that tomorrow -- keeping it out and/or on the dash tomorrow and when I leave to day and see if that impacts it at all. It may very well not receive a signal when in the holster.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Do you have the default settings set up correctly? When you leave work, the "work" profile you set deactivates...you need to be sure you tell the device what to default to. (I.E. set your ringer in the default settings)

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Do you have the default settings set up correctly? When you leave work, the "work" profile you set deactivates...you need to be sure you tell the device what to default to. (I.E. set your ringer in the default settings)

I've got a pretty basic setup. When I get to work, as defined by my GPS, it turns the ringer off. And it has worked. When I leave, for lunch or at the end of the day, it's back on. But sometimes it doesn't work.

I kept my phone out on the dash this morning when I came in but it still never switched to the Work mode. I can go to basing it off of time but since I don't always take lunch at a regular time, I'd prefer to use the GPS.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Locale is a Gamecocks fan...lol.

I have no idea what may be going on. I also use GPS/location to switch most of my locale profiles, and it's one of the few apps that works 100% for me out of the box. Try shooting an email to the developers.

One quick idea...try one of the apps that gets and displays GPS data. Maybe you don't get a consistent GPS lock at work?

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I used it for a while but gawd it was a battery hog.....deleted it. Sorry. Locale folks were no help either.

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I played with it for a couple days, and had no luck with it working as advertised, and it loooved to snak on my battery a lot. Great idea, but not quite there for me yet.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Low blow, GB... low blow ;)

Had to do it. Feel free to insert favorite WVU slam. MountainGoats would be a good start :D

On topic:
Maybe give Toggle Settings a try
chart

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I am finding that, with my Droid Eris, anyway, that I need to shut down and restart the phone every so often to keep the GPS up and running. This may be a contributing factor to my problems with Locale. It's worked so far this week and I had to restart on Sunday night. I think I'll just make the reboot a weekly thing. Can't hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac