Gmail not showing entire text of e-mail messages

irishjoeyo

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
When an e-mail message has been forwarded or replied to, I cannot see all of the text of any of the older messages in that thread, only the first few characters of it. I can see everything in the newest message of the thread. Has anyone else had this problem? I didn't find anything in a forum search.

irishjoeyo

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Let me clarify...I can see all of the text of every message in the thread if I click on the tab for each one at the top of the screen. However, whichever message is open, it shows all of the text of that particular message, but just the first few characters of the previous one. Is this by design? Is there a setting I can change for this?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
That's actually by design.

Remember that GMail groups email into conversations, so to see a prior message in the conversation just tap on the area just above the header of your most recent email. It will say something like "1 read message". That will expand the list of messages in that conversation. Then you can pick the message you want to read in its entirety.

In all honesty, I think the interface could use improvement, but at least it works.

EDIT: I see you clarified before I could reply. Yes, it's by design and no, I don't think there is a way to change it.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If you're using the latest version of GMail (2.3), there will be a link in the body of your email chain to show quoted text. That might solve your issue. I just noticed it myself.

Last edited: