in a nutshell= is there any app that will update settings based on TIME, not based on location.

reason=i don't want to leave my GPS on all the time. therefore, LocationProfile & Tasker (i believe) & Locale don't appeal to me.

i'd like to have my phone turn ON gps @ pre-set times, not leave it on all the time.

scenario= set phone to Wifi at certain times, GPS @ certain times, Airplane mode @ certain times.

is there such an app?
    LocationProfile is nice--but like i said, i hate leaving GPS on.

i'd like to know that from 7am-9am, everything rings. 9am-6pm, nothing rings, 7pm-midnight Wifi is enabled & maybe GPS,

any suggestions? pretty sure this is going to be a 'paid app' suggestions, but thats ok.

Edit: http://forum.androidcentral.com/andr...imeriffic.html is an app called Timeriffic. But not sure about the extensive capabilities; anyone used it? Confirm being able to turn on GPS?
    would still like more suggestions, please
    09-28-2010 12:34 PM
    Will Tasker not turn your GPS on/off? You should be able to create Tasker profile to do everything you mentioned.
    09-28-2010 01:01 PM
    i was under the impression from Comments on Taskers page that it required the GPS to remain on all the time to allow settings to be enabled based on location.
    is this incorrect?

otherwise, it doesn't appeal to me b/c (my assumption lest shown otherwise) i would have my battery being drained by the GPS being left on and enabling settings.
    09-28-2010 01:05 PM
    Correct. I meant you could use Tasker to adjust the settings you specified based on time.
    09-28-2010 01:07 PM
    Profile (by noimjosh) will do everything you listed, except turning GPS on/off.
    project.in.process likes this.
    09-28-2010 01:13 PM
    Tasker is very well suited for what you need. It in no way requires GPS, WiFi, or anything else to be on. You can set up profiles soley based upon time of day, your corresponding tasks could turn on/off whatever you deem appropriate for that given time period be that services, sounds, apps, etc.

If you're concerned about GPS you can even set it up so that it only turns on upon launch of specific apps.
    project.in.process likes this.
    09-28-2010 01:18 PM
    Phone Weaver will do this for you based on time. It is not free but it works wonderfully. Very powerful profile app.
    09-28-2010 02:08 PM
    i'd like to have my phone turn ON gps @ pre-set times, not leave it on all the time.
    Tasker can definitely do this.
    i was under the impression from Comments on Taskers page that it required the GPS to remain on all the time to allow settings to be enabled based on location.
    is this incorrect?
    That is incorrect. Tasker will do whatever you tell it to do using the contexts (conditions) you specify. Contexts don't have to be location-based. For determining location you have several approaches available to you, each with varying levels of accuracy and power consumption which are fairly well outlined on the Tasker site:
    http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguid..._loctears.html

You don't have to use GPS and you don't have to leave GPS on.

otherwise, it doesn't appeal to me b/c (my assumption lest shown otherwise) i would have my battery being drained by the GPS being left on and enabling settings.
    You do realize that the GPS receiver doesn't kill your battery unless it's actively used (icon in notification bar)? Granted, apps that regularly use the GPS receiver can kill your battery without your intervention.
    09-28-2010 03:16 PM
    You do realize that the GPS receiver doesn't kill your battery unless it's actively used (icon in notification bar)? Granted, apps that regularly use the GPS receiver can kill your battery without your intervention.
    i was/am aware of this--however i didn't want a Location-Based profile application to constantly check my location (thereby draining battery) and attempt to change my profile based on the received location.

i just bought Tasker.
    holy crap. this is insane amount of customization.

it's gonna take me a bit to fully understand what i'm doing--but this is awesome. well worth the $6.80
    09-28-2010 03:35 PM
    holy crap. this is insane amount of customization.
    lol indeed it is! I have no doubt you will find many uses for tasker as you get more proficient w/ it.
    09-28-2010 09:23 PM
    check out timeriffic.
    timeriffic - Search Android Apps on AppBrain

i've tried a few of the popular apps (tasker, locale) and stuck with timeriffic. simple, does not drain the battery and free.
    09-29-2010 08:54 AM
    yeah. took me a good 4 hours to understand the intricacies of it--but now i'm using like 8 profiles and have it set to my routine.

it's sad that i'm now replaced by an app that can manipulate the phone how i want it at certain times. ha.

and the option to have it say whatever you want at times is ridiculous. excuse me, ridiculously funny.
    09-29-2010 09:01 AM
    I am a BB convert and used my device as a pager as my answering service sent out my pages via SMS. I had this working well with a time based profile switcher and BerryBuzz which could be programmed to provide a nag at intervals if the page/SMS wasn't answered.

I have found Handcent which produces a popup and programmable nag. I now need a profile switcher, so I will be awakened only by phone calls and SMS at nightime and not emails. I would like Handcent/nag to remain on at nightime: I don't want the profile switcher to shut it off.

You feedback on the most capable programs is appreciated.
    09-29-2010 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD