Android Central App (By Notice Software)

XXXdc5

May 1, 2010
Visit site
first!

cant wait to download

edit: only immediate annoyance is that i clicked the ad 6 times jut trying to scroll down. Definition of obtrusive haha.

Last edited:

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Cool ;)

You guys (Guy or GAL or Both) did a nice job. The news page flows nicely from news>Podcast>Tips>Apps. Someone spent some time on this and it shows. Up front on my desktop for sure. Now I don't have to fire up my laptop in the morning when I have my coffee. I'll grab my phone, my coffee and sit out on the deck ketching up on the latest Android news, thank you.

Last edited:

houserhythm

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Get Power Strip. It can save you alot of homescreens. Brought me down to 3 from 7. There's 1 or 2 extra clicks in the process, but I think thee tradeoff is worth it.

As to the AC app - no, thank you. Not even gonna try it. I like getting my AC news through Twitter and with just ~20 MB free on my phone at any given time, the low disk space icon keeps popping on & off, so any small amount of space not used counts.

hakoreh

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Suggestions

I like the app, don't mind the ads. The only issue I have is the widget doesn't scroll
If you look at the news and weather widget, it moves through all the news stories giving each a few seconds screen time. I usually get my android news from twitter but I wouldn't mind using this also - definitely. Also any chance at adding the forums?

Great first release for sure

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Nice! I like the features. Very nice layout and settings. 1 negative: I know you need to pay the bills, but the ads are pretty pervasive ...

Still nice though, thanks!

Execute

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I am 100% all for ad supported apps & software. I think it's a great way for devs, people, sites, etc to get paid for their hard work while keeping the price down or even free. However, these "trick ads" border on obscene. They launch just by looking at them wrong. Way too easy to accidently launch while scrolling and/or navigating. Make em launch by a "tap" not just from brushing against them. And put em on top and/or bottom, not right in the middle of my 4in screen! Jus sayin, ya know. Ads are good, obtrusive ads are the devil.

Other than that crippling thing, the app is awesome. Love gettin my Android Central fix! Good job, ive been waiting for this!

kadield

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been having issues with the podcast portion of it. Whenever I try to listen to a podcast it'll force close the application. And the ads are very, very easy to accidently click, even though I'm trying to scroll. Otherwise, awesome app :)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I've been having issues with the podcast portion of it. Whenever I try to listen to a podcast it'll force close the application. And the ads are very, very easy to accidently click, even though I'm trying to scroll. Otherwise, awesome app :)

Can you tell me what you are using?

Same. Evo 4G, rooted, but Stock with nothing touched. I can recreate 100%, how would you prefer the log?

Also, the app isn't in the market for the T-Mobile Charm -- but it works just fine on one here.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Feature request -- Android Central app

Hey Wayne!

Love the app! Would love it a teensy bit more if the notification tone was selectable. I'm using an App Inventor app that uses the default device notification, and can't change it in AppInventor :p

I know something this minor isn't necessarily worth an update, but if you ever make one anyway :p

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
not sure why people would yell and scream for this when all you have to do is point your browser to this site.

derekcosta#AC

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Great app, very functional! This is more of a suggestion then a feature request. It's regarding the GUI. While what's there works, it is very clearly based completely off of what's found in iOS as a pretty standard control layout.

I feel like Android has it's own look, feel, and way of doing things. While a tool doesn't yet exist to help unify Android app GUIs, we all know that Google is developing something like that right now. So, why not develop something that works more like an Android app and less like an iOS app. If i liked the way everything worked on an iPhone, I'd still have mine.

I'm not saying this is a terrible app at all, so don't get me wrong. All of the function is there. It just doesn't work like I'd expect an android app to.

EDIT:
So, to be clear as to what I'm talking about, I'll give you a couple examples.
1. The menu button doesn't do anything on the app home screen! That is where the buttons that are currently static at the bottom (News, Search, Topics, Report, and Settings) ought to be, freeing up screen real estate.

2. When viewing stories, you don't really need the back button on the top. All Android phones have a back button on them already. Also, the Share button could be moved to the Menu button menu, and the browser controls (Back, Forward, and Stop/Refresh), really aren't necessary. Though, if they were really wanted there, at least make that bar auto-hide, because all it does is take up screen real estate.

A great example of an app that provides very similar functionality but actually acts like an Android app is the BBC News app.

Again, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being a ****, because that's really not my intention. It's a great app, as I've said. I just think that there are more efficient ways of doing things that would improve user experience and help the app stay true to it's platform.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34