02-21-2012 11:57 AM
59 123
tools
    We have a bug that showed up in the last hour or so. For some reason, our repository got reverted and we are pulling the wrong data for the 'News' category. As a result, the full stories aren't showing up.

We should have it fixed pretty quickly.

Wayne
    All fixed now.
    10-01-2010 08:36 AM
    I would absolutely love it the forum were accessible or even direct links to the forum locations. Eg - the xda tapatalk thing, for free, is simply awesome.
    10-03-2010 12:57 PM
    Anyone else seeing huge memory leaks? I just noticed today that with alerts and updates throughout the day, that it was taking up 42MB of memory.

I like the app, alerts, but that's quite a bit of memory..
    10-07-2010 05:17 PM
    Yeah hi, I told my Android Central app not to run Alerts, and the app is constantly restarting itself over and over and running services in the background for Alerts.

What kind of BS is that? I want to turn it on the check the news and turn it off and not have it eating up system resources in the background.
    10-08-2010 10:11 AM
    Cool app. Thank you!
    10-09-2010 01:53 AM
    Is there any specific version of android needed to download this? I'm on android 1.6 and I can't see it in the market. Just wondering.
    I have verified that we are showing up for at least some 1.5 and 1.6 devices. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be seeing it.

Do you see any NoticeSoftware app?
    10-10-2010 03:44 PM
    Yeah hi, I told my Android Central app not to run Alerts, and the app is constantly restarting itself over and over and running services in the background for Alerts.

What kind of BS is that? I want to turn it on the check the news and turn it off and not have it eating up system resources in the background.
    ...the alerts daemon isn't working the way we want it. It doesn't recognize that you have turned off alerts. Which is a problem. We'll be coming out with a whole new alerts architecture fairly shortly.
    10-10-2010 03:46 PM
    derekcosta,

I don't think you are being a **** at all. I think you bring up some good points. Generally, I think it comes down to UI design decisions and principles.

This isn't a right or wrong thing. It's opinion.

We don't like things that are hidden. Even worse are things that are hidden that change contextually. So, as a UI, I don't like the general "Android way" of using the buttons for hiding the commands/features and mixing the types of actions that take place on the buttons.

Some buttons act across apps, some are context sensitive within apps, and some get you out of the apps. For me, they just don't provide for a good framework to build a user friendly app around.

The menu button, for instance, is a context sensitive button. It changes as you move throughout the app. I think if the 'share' was there, a great many people would never know because it would only be there for one type of page.

Also, the menu button would become the navigation place (also requiring two taps). It would then be overloaded with navigation options and feature options.

We have the same issue on iOS where we think some of their widgets are very poorly designed. We intentionally work outside the standards there as well.

I'm just saying it is design decision to try to help people understand how to use our app. Ours is just one view and/or opinion on how to do it.
    10-10-2010 03:57 PM
    Great App. My only suggestion would be to make the widget either scrollable or program it to include several stories and not just the most recent blog entry.
    10-11-2010 09:39 AM
    Wrong thread. I moved it to the right thread.
    10-11-2010 11:54 AM
    A mod started another thread and I had posted this in that thread. I think that it should go here...

Some notes on the Android Central App...

The AndroidCentral app does not have a link to the AndroidCentral Forums.

The static header, static menu, static ads, and inline ads can take a third or more of the screen. Take a look at this screen from the Android Central App Announcement[/URL]:

Actually you can't see the Android Central App announcement using the Android Central app because the Android Central app can only go back the past few days (even under News). After a couple days back the "See more" link no longer works.

The day the app was announced there were a number of ratings of 4 or 5 stars. But as users started using the app, in 38 ratings this month we have had one 4-star and one 5-star rating. 19 of the 38 are 1-star.

The Android Central App is down to a 3.06 rating as of this morning.
    10-11-2010 02:00 PM
    ...the alerts daemon isn't working the way we want it. It doesn't recognize that you have turned off alerts. Which is a problem. We'll be coming out with a whole new alerts architecture fairly shortly.
    Sweet!

Also another suggestion/bug... when I go into an article, then I click a link from the article, it keeps it within the app (which is good for your ad revenue I assume, no complaints there). But when I hit back, it goes ALL the way back, instead of a page back like the browser would.
    10-11-2010 09:07 PM
    I have verified that we are showing up for at least some 1.5 and 1.6 devices. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be seeing it.

Do you see any NoticeSoftware app?
    The only Notice Software app I see on the android market on my phone is the Local Radio Finder.

I'm on the Motorola Devour if that helps.
    10-13-2010 10:20 PM
    A couple small, but big changes:
    1) New alert mechanism for 2.2 users. We are no longer running the service in the background.

2) We pinned the ad placement to the bottom. We didn't realize our primary ad network was grabbing swipes as taps. Many apologies for that one.

Wayne
    11-05-2010 06:03 PM
    Are you plain on adding the ability to comment on news stories?
    11-05-2010 08:24 PM
    Can you link in the 2x2 headline app that you have into the ap? thanks!
    11-05-2010 08:35 PM
    The App Icon should look nicer. The One that it has right now, looks really ugly. You guys should round edged it.
    11-05-2010 08:39 PM
    All I do is flick scroll over the ad and it opens up, and the lack of the ability to post comments on news articles is kinda disappointing. Please fix those things and I will be in love with this app
    11-05-2010 09:27 PM
    First... I like having the android central news at hand. So "Thank You" to those responsible for putting all of this together. In a future update I'd like to see the ability to post and review comments. Possibly adding a "comments" button next to the "back" and "share" buttons... Cheers: :-)
    11-05-2010 11:00 PM
    I'm on 1.5 w/cliq xt. i can download it but it will not open. Force closes every time i try to open it. Widget will dock on homescreen but is stuck on "Loading....".
    11-07-2010 10:12 PM
    We just released a new update that fixes the crash for 1.5 users. We were referencing a constant for c2dm that isn't available in 1.5.

I think I also figured out how the Android Market is using their "What's new for this release?" field. It's not intuitive.
    11-11-2010 11:36 AM
    Since upgrading to the new app I am not getting alerts even though it is enabled also the widget is not updating. Any thoughts?
    11-17-2010 01:38 PM
    The last few day the AC app hasn't been loading the most recent stories. For example, right now (after hitting refresh), the most recent story on the app is the Continuum review, while there have been several stories on the site since then (the Torch with Android is the current most recent). Is anyone else seeing this?
    12-02-2010 09:56 AM
    This happens to me a lot too. It's also sooooo slow
    12-03-2010 11:48 AM
    Suggestions for the Android Central app:

Forum Support(embed Tapatalk or something? Phandroid app has forum support)
    Better widget, tired of the thing not refreshing itself, it just stays on one article
    Commenting support? I was shocked that the app just acts like an embed browser
    Smoother tabs? It seems the tabs just take you to another page or something, when I tap on one, then hit back... it just goes back to home screen.
    Fix the back and forth keys, they don't work

I think that is all, the app is really just a way to grab links then you interact with the article just like in the browser.... It's also relatively slower than the browser(when you load m.androidcentral.com).
    12-21-2010 07:39 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD