02-21-2012 11:57 AM
59 123
tools
    Hi. I thought you guys might be interested to know that we just released the Android Central app.

Here is the market link:
    http://market.android.com/search?q=c...AndroidCentral

FYI, it comes with a widget. Please let me know if you have any issues.

Enjoy,

Wayne
    Notice Software
    09-28-2010 09:12 PM
    first!

cant wait to download

edit: only immediate annoyance is that i clicked the ad 6 times jut trying to scroll down. Definition of obtrusive haha.
    09-28-2010 09:19 PM
    Awesome!!
    09-28-2010 09:19 PM
    Thank you!
    09-28-2010 09:23 PM
    Cool

You guys (Guy or GAL or Both) did a nice job. The news page flows nicely from news>Podcast>Tips>Apps. Someone spent some time on this and it shows. Up front on my desktop for sure. Now I don't have to fire up my laptop in the morning when I have my coffee. I'll grab my phone, my coffee and sit out on the deck ketching up on the latest Android news, thank you.
    09-28-2010 09:32 PM
    Result!
    Although given how many awesome widgets there are now I may need more than the 7 home screens I have...
    09-28-2010 11:33 PM
    Get Power Strip. It can save you alot of homescreens. Brought me down to 3 from 7. There's 1 or 2 extra clicks in the process, but I think thee tradeoff is worth it.

As to the AC app - no, thank you. Not even gonna try it. I like getting my AC news through Twitter and with just ~20 MB free on my phone at any given time, the low disk space icon keeps popping on & off, so any small amount of space not used counts.
    09-29-2010 05:59 AM
    I like the app, don't mind the ads. The only issue I have is the widget doesn't scroll
    If you look at the news and weather widget, it moves through all the news stories giving each a few seconds screen time. I usually get my android news from twitter but I wouldn't mind using this also - definitely. Also any chance at adding the forums?

Great first release for sure
    09-29-2010 08:10 AM
    Thanks for the app! I don't mind the ad's either.... we know you have to pay bills somehow! Keep up the good work!
    09-29-2010 09:22 AM
    Downloading.
    09-29-2010 09:23 AM
    Nice! I like the features. Very nice layout and settings. 1 negative: I know you need to pay the bills, but the ads are pretty pervasive ...

Still nice though, thanks!
    09-29-2010 09:43 AM
    I am 100% all for ad supported apps & software. I think it's a great way for devs, people, sites, etc to get paid for their hard work while keeping the price down or even free. However, these "trick ads" border on obscene. They launch just by looking at them wrong. Way too easy to accidently launch while scrolling and/or navigating. Make em launch by a "tap" not just from brushing against them. And put em on top and/or bottom, not right in the middle of my 4in screen! Jus sayin, ya know. Ads are good, obtrusive ads are the devil.

Other than that crippling thing, the app is awesome. Love gettin my Android Central fix! Good job, ive been waiting for this!
    09-29-2010 10:02 AM
    I've been having issues with the podcast portion of it. Whenever I try to listen to a podcast it'll force close the application. And the ads are very, very easy to accidently click, even though I'm trying to scroll. Otherwise, awesome app
    09-29-2010 02:07 PM
    Can you tell me what you are using?
    09-29-2010 07:25 PM
    I've been having issues with the podcast portion of it. Whenever I try to listen to a podcast it'll force close the application. And the ads are very, very easy to accidently click, even though I'm trying to scroll. Otherwise, awesome app
    Can you tell me what you are using?
    Same. Evo 4G, rooted, but Stock with nothing touched. I can recreate 100%, how would you prefer the log?

Also, the app isn't in the market for the T-Mobile Charm -- but it works just fine on one here.
    09-29-2010 11:59 PM
    Hey Wayne!

Love the app! Would love it a teensy bit more if the notification tone was selectable. I'm using an App Inventor app that uses the default device notification, and can't change it in AppInventor

I know something this minor isn't necessarily worth an update, but if you ever make one anyway
    09-30-2010 12:06 AM
    Same. Evo 4G, rooted, but Stock with nothing touched. I can recreate 100%, how would you prefer the log?
    zipped and sent to support@noticesoftware.com would be great. Thanks.
    09-30-2010 07:09 AM
    I know it is a little premature having just been released and all, but I would gladly pay $3.99 for an ad-free version somewhere down the line.
    09-30-2010 09:47 AM
    not sure why people would yell and scream for this when all you have to do is point your browser to this site.
    09-30-2010 10:11 AM
    Great app, very functional! This is more of a suggestion then a feature request. It's regarding the GUI. While what's there works, it is very clearly based completely off of what's found in iOS as a pretty standard control layout.

I feel like Android has it's own look, feel, and way of doing things. While a tool doesn't yet exist to help unify Android app GUIs, we all know that Google is developing something like that right now. So, why not develop something that works more like an Android app and less like an iOS app. If i liked the way everything worked on an iPhone, I'd still have mine.

I'm not saying this is a terrible app at all, so don't get me wrong. All of the function is there. It just doesn't work like I'd expect an android app to.

EDIT:
    So, to be clear as to what I'm talking about, I'll give you a couple examples.
    1. The menu button doesn't do anything on the app home screen! That is where the buttons that are currently static at the bottom (News, Search, Topics, Report, and Settings) ought to be, freeing up screen real estate.

2. When viewing stories, you don't really need the back button on the top. All Android phones have a back button on them already. Also, the Share button could be moved to the Menu button menu, and the browser controls (Back, Forward, and Stop/Refresh), really aren't necessary. Though, if they were really wanted there, at least make that bar auto-hide, because all it does is take up screen real estate.

A great example of an app that provides very similar functionality but actually acts like an Android app is the BBC News app.

Again, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being a ****, because that's really not my intention. It's a great app, as I've said. I just think that there are more efficient ways of doing things that would improve user experience and help the app stay true to it's platform.
    09-30-2010 10:13 AM
    Is there any specific version of android needed to download this? I'm on android 1.6 and I can't see it in the market. Just wondering.
    09-30-2010 11:47 AM
    We have a bug that showed up in the last hour or so. For some reason, our repository got reverted and we are pulling the wrong data for the 'News' category. As a result, the full stories aren't showing up.

We should have it fixed pretty quickly.

Wayne
    09-30-2010 07:26 PM
    Is there any specific version of android needed to download this? I'm on android 1.6 and I can't see it in the market. Just wondering.
    It should be there for both 1.5 and 1.6.
    09-30-2010 07:28 PM
    I've checked the market and even clicked on the market link in the forum and it says it can't find it.
    09-30-2010 07:52 PM
    Love the app.
    10-01-2010 02:27 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD