I just watched a video from imovie and really am impressed. Did I make the wrong choice with Android? Where is the comparable software for our phones? I'm really hoping this changes soon but Apple sure has this covered well. Not only do we have no good options, there doesn't seem to be any options, even a buggy half baked one available.
    09-29-2010 04:25 AM
    I just watched a video from imovie and really am impressed. Did I make the wrong choice with Android?
    If iMovie is a must, then yes. Do your due diligence before purchasing.
    09-29-2010 08:51 AM
    The thing is I would expect a modern OS to have these sorts of apps, I'm hoping something materializes. Samsung Canada is talking about making an app, but will that be just Samsung-specific (I have a Captivate so that is OK). It just makes me scratch my head a little, is this some Android limitation? Can any qualified developers comment, is the API not available for alternate video capture, is video editing just too taxing on the OS for some reason?
    09-29-2010 12:51 PM
    Honestly, I don't think I'd ever edit video on my phone, even if I had an iPhone.

Easier just to do it on your PC/Mac (Right now most of my stuff goes on YouTube and for my simple needs, their Remixer editor works fine, even if it's kindof basic).
    09-29-2010 12:59 PM
    I would rather do it on my phone, the video is already there and would be able to post to the web in a complete way from an event, without ever needing to get to a desktop. Really, iMovie is slick and does everything I would need from the phone, why depend on the desktop especially if your needs are simple? I'm pretty certain that if the shoe were on the other foot Android fans would be lauding the wonders on video editing on phones and point out that the iPhone can't do that.

Anyhow, at this point I see my phone as a computer more than a phone and I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation. I had a nice video editor on my old SE dumbphone years ago (of course the video was 170x130 or something). I just don't get why there is nothing available. It is like not having a calculator or a web browser. Seems basic.
    09-29-2010 01:08 PM
    Understood (never needed to edit a video while I was still "out and about" so didn't think of that). I don't know of anything. Thought Qik had some basic video editing available (even found a video here: Qik for Android update – on-device video editing, Speed Sharing, and more! | Qik Blog) but I can't find it in my app. Maybe it's not available...

I'm sure something will come along....eventually.
    09-29-2010 01:23 PM
    I had editing on the palm pre and while it was a cool feature I never used it. I have buddies that have the iphone 4 and they say they never use it either. It's all up to preference I guess.
    09-29-2010 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD