I have the Verizon Fascinate...so think 3G CDMA.

I work 8 hours a day in a building that really reduces cell signal. According to the Battery Usage stats...Cell Standby is using 19% of the battery and is 83% without a signal.

I was hoping for a recommendation for a good app that will effectively shut down the cell signal when it loses signal and tests it out every now and then to see if it has improved. I would want to be able to schedule this so that it didn't happen on my drive in and out but when I know that signal will be spotty for a prolonged period of time.

What do you recommend?
    09-30-2010 12:54 PM
    Do the CDMA phones have the option to use only 2G connections like you have in GSM phones?

If you can afford to be without your phone (which is exactly what you would be if you shut off cell) then why not just turn it off, or get another charger for your desk.

Also, if it is the DATA connection that is keeping the radios turning and burning, you might configure it for available wifi (if available), and then set your wifi sleep policy to never. That will cause all the data connections to fall over to wifi, which will save a lot of battery, as the phone will only have to listen for ring notifications for calls.
    packerbacker likes this.
    09-30-2010 01:40 PM
    I have the same problem and just use a widget to turn airplane mode on and off. I also keep a spare charger at work.

Dave
    packerbacker likes this.
    09-30-2010 01:43 PM
    Try taking a look at Juice Defender, they have a free and paid app in the market.
    09-30-2010 03:58 PM
    [QUOTE=Skyeclad;373713]I have the Verizon Fascinate...so think 3G CDMA.

I work 8 hours a day in a building that really reduces cell signal. According to the Battery Usage stats...Cell Standby is using 19% of the battery and is 83% without a signal.

IQUOTE]

i'm in the same situation, with an Evo.

could try to configure a Tasker profile for this situation. i just bought it yesterday. it's insanely customizable.
    but, given that i have maybe 1 bar and sporatic 3g coverage every now and again (20 minutes)--i've seen my 3500mah Extended battery go from 100%-60% today alone (9a-5.08p)...so, Airplane mode does actually work the best.

it's better than turning the phone off, obviously, b/c you can quickly turn it off to make a call or check for email instead of waiting for a full reboot of the phone.

but i also agree with connecting via wifi. i wish we had that option here.
    09-30-2010 04:09 PM
    I carry a spare battery and yes here in Paradise when the 3G signal is not 3g'ing, battery life goes to pot.
    10-01-2010 12:02 PM
    if it is the DATA connection that is keeping the radios turning and burning, you might configure it for available wifi (if available), and then set your wifi sleep policy to never. That will cause all the data connections to fall over to wifi, which will save a lot of battery, as the phone will only have to listen for ring notifications for calls.
    Thanks! I never even thought of doing this, because I thought Wifi was always a battery drainer.

I have the same problem and just use a widget to turn airplane mode on and off. I also keep a spare charger at work.

Dave
    And thanks Dave for this tip. I'm definitely going to do this when I'm studying, for example, and only really need to be able to see what time it is and set an alarm.
    10-01-2010 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD