I'm still kind of new to both Android and programming so I have a few questions before I start working on my first app.

First of all, GPS. Is it possible to use Android's GPS to track a car or motorcycle in real time? If I was to buy and stick some sort of GPS receiver, (or any other GPS device on my motorcycle) would I be able to create an app that could talk to the receiver?

I think it is certainly possible but I don't know the GPS capabilities. Any help or insight would be appreciated.
    10-02-2010 09:22 AM
    You don't need the GPS in the phone you're using to view the vehicle's location with. You need a unit in the vehicle that sends its location data to a server. Then your application just needs to poll that server for the data and display it on a map without actually using the gps on the phone. There are products available that do this already.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    10-02-2010 09:39 AM
    I see. But then I would probably have to pay monthly fee to use their service.
    10-02-2010 09:46 AM
    First of all, GPS. Is it possible to use Android's GPS to track a car or motorcycle in real time? If I was to buy and stick some sort of GPS receiver, (or any other GPS device on my motorcycle) would I be able to create an app that could talk to the receiver?
    You're asking 2 completely different questions here. If you stick a GPS device on a car or motorcycle to track then you're not using the Android device's GPS. If you have the device with you in/on the vehicle then why are you intending to use a separate receiver?

It's possible that a BT GPS puck could do the job but I haven't heard on anyone attempting to use one with an Android device.
    10-04-2010 08:57 AM
    InstaMapper - Free Real-Time GPS Tracking

If you're going to use an Android device, it looks like that site will do what you want and it's free.
    10-04-2010 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD