10-05-2010 04:01 PM
30 12
tools
    ARGGG!!! I was a very late comer.....installing Swype just about 2 weeks ago and just this morning I get a message saying I must upgrade in order for my Swype to continue working! Bull!!

I'd waited so long cause I was very skeptical....didn't want a new learning curve after going through a lot of it with the phone in the first place. It wasn't until I actually saw someone using it with effortlessness that I finally saw the light.

Now, given that a trial period, so-to-speak, has run out....I wish I'd never seen that light.

What do I do? What other solutions are there? Will Swype ever again be available for the EVO?
    10-04-2010 08:59 AM
    Uh, get the latest installer from the beta website like it instructed you to?
    10-04-2010 09:09 AM
    I am having the same problem...... unfortunately I am not an official beta tester. I have applied but never been accepted. I would love to even pay for this program if I could. All I know is I really want my Swype back can anyone help with a link to an .apk or a inside path to becoming an official beta tester? Thanks
    10-04-2010 09:16 AM
    Yeah, like johnday said.....I'm not an official beta tester. I downloaded an apk file.
    10-04-2010 09:25 AM
    i hate the standard keyboard, can't use it. Once i installed swype i never looked back. They should release it as a full version there was never anything in the old beta that suggested it still needed work, i used it for months never had an issue.
    10-04-2010 09:37 AM
    i hate the standard keyboard, can't use it. Once i installed swype i never looked back. They should release it as a full version there was never anything in the old beta that suggested it still needed work, i used it for months never had an issue.
    agreed. What's strange is that the Galaxy phones come with it pre-installed and I think is their default keyboard. At least my sister-in-law's Galaxy is that way.
    10-04-2010 09:42 AM
    i didn't care for it. i went back to the stock keyboard. good luck.
    10-04-2010 09:50 AM
    How can you "not care for it?" Stock is painful to use, so many mistypes and having to go back after realizing you missed the space bar...

I'm in the same boat. Just got my Evo this past weekend and had installed the .apk but wasn't an official beta tester.

Really wish I could be a beta tester but don't know how...

Swype is the only way to text on a touch screen, imo. So easy. I'd pay $5 or even $10 for it, which is a lot considering it's an app.
    10-04-2010 09:54 AM
    If you can't get swype I recommend ultra keyboard it's the most feature packed keyboard there is and there is a trial version. I'm recommending it because it's like three keyboards in one and more and highly customisable with a swype like keyboard some say is better than swype... go check it out in the market it's highly rated.
    tiggrev likes this.
    10-04-2010 10:02 AM
    How can you "not care for it?" Stock is painful to use, so many mistypes and having to go back after realizing you missed the space bar...

I'm in the same boat. Just got my Evo this past weekend and had installed the .apk but wasn't an official beta tester.

Really wish I could be a beta tester but don't know how...

Swype is the only way to text on a touch screen, imo. So easy. I'd pay $5 or even $10 for it, which is a lot considering it's an app.

i like the stock. i don't have much problem typing on it. when i used swype i kept having to think about were to move my finger to next. i didn't care for the second (number) screen either. i do like the color design on sywpe.
    10-04-2010 10:29 AM
    We were having a similar discussion in another thread...
    I was doing Swype.

I am now doing SwiftKey more and for me it is often faster now that it has learned how I write. With the predictive text it is almost scary how often it can predict my words. Plus SwiftKey integrates the new Voice Actions speach recognition that works amazingly well. So for a sentence like this, it is faster for me to just talk.

Swype not link to Voice Actions so you can't go back and forth between typing and talking. In 30 states you cannot type while you drive making Swype useless when you drive. And you shouldn't type while you drive anyway.
    10-04-2010 10:42 AM
    Not a fan of Swype either. Try ShapeWriter out Raf. You might like it and you don't have to worry about it ever expiring or waiting for those fools to release it already. Still scratching my head at how its "under beta" but comes preloaded in the galaxy phones and on the MyTouch Slide
    10-04-2010 10:53 AM
    too many swype-like alternatives available to worry about swype expiring... I still use swype as my first choice, but if its never released to the masses I will just fire up one of my plan B keyboards; shapewriter or slideIT
    10-04-2010 11:05 AM
    So, where can you get a download for shapewriter? It isn't showing in the market.
    10-04-2010 11:29 AM
    When will swype become official for the EVO?? I am getting frustrated with the trial expiration issue
    10-04-2010 11:41 AM
    It's hardly better in Swype. You'll swype and get incorrect words, or it pops up that prompt every other word, or won't do symbols properly, or fails to do contractions, or it screws up spaces, etc. I actually type faster on the stock keyboard simply because I don't have to fight with it on a regular basis to write exactly what I want to write.
    10-04-2010 11:51 AM
    Swype is good at some things and bad at others, landscape mode for one.

Trying slideIT right now and like it, but not for the asking price.
    10-04-2010 11:53 AM
    try shapewriter. google the apk.
    10-04-2010 12:00 PM
    I agree to each is own. I love Swype and swear by it. I have friends who hate it though.

The good thing about Android we have a choice over what keyboard we use.

Swype is good at some things and bad at others, landscape mode for one.

Trying slideIT right now and like it, but not for the asking price.
    I tried slideIT too. I just couldn't get used to it. The biggest thing for me was that it didn't have any symbols on the main keyboard so you couldn't long press. Also I like that with Swype I can Swype over symbols and it'll pick it up. for instance "We're". I couldn't do this with slideIT.
    10-04-2010 12:05 PM
    So, where can you get a download for shapewriter? It isn't showing in the market.
    its still in the market... instructions in this thread...

http://forum.androidcentral.com/andr...tml#post224637
    10-04-2010 12:11 PM
    If you can't get swype I recommend ultra keyboard it's the most feature packed keyboard there is and there is a trial version. I'm recommending it because it's like three keyboards in one and more and highly customisable with a swype like keyboard some say is better than swype... go check it out in the market it's highly rated.
    Hey, thanks for recommending Ultra Keyboard. I've been trying out most of the alternative keyboards and had almost settled on SlideIt, but Ultra KB is so versatile and it does everything I could want. I'm a happy camper now.
    10-04-2010 01:22 PM
    Hey, thanks for recommending Ultra Keyboard. I've been trying out most of the alternative keyboards and had almost settled on SlideIt, but Ultra KB is so versatile and it does everything I could want. I'm a happy camper now.
    +1....dictionary leaves a bit to be desired, but it's working for me so far and the price is right around what I would pay for an app....I will see how my 24 hrs go!
    10-04-2010 02:34 PM
    It's hardly better in Swype. You'll swype and get incorrect words, or it pops up that prompt every other word, or won't do symbols properly, or fails to do contractions, or it screws up spaces, etc. I actually type faster on the stock keyboard simply because I don't have to fight with it on a regular basis to write exactly what I want to write.
    Right there with you. Swype almost never gets words that are longer than maybe 7 letters. Most of the time it chooses a proper name. Then it takes forever to go back and correct it.
    10-04-2010 03:13 PM
    +1 for Ultra Keyboard.

Got sick of waiting on Swype (seriously, STILL not on the market?) so I decided to shop around. I found Shapewriter and loved it, but wished it had a voice input option. I tried SlideIt but the accuracy rating compared to Shapewriter was terrible.

And then I found Ultra Keyboard. Accurate, accepts voice inputs and has loads of customization options (and an easy to use help file to discover everything the keyboard can do). It's an excellent keyboard.
    10-04-2010 09:23 PM
    Liking ultra but it takes up a lot of screen

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk
    10-04-2010 09:37 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD