I'm new to the android os. When I had a palm device I used launcher x and it let me organize my applications into categories screens so I didn't have to scroll through my entire applications screen. Does such a thing exist for android...

Thanks in advance
    10-05-2010 04:21 AM
    This isn't a launcher but I use Smart Launcher it allows u yo make customizable folders on your home screen.
    10-05-2010 05:51 AM
    You can also get an app called Apps Organizer where you can put your apps into folders essentially and have one icon display on your homescreen. (A "games" icon that you press and it brings up all of your games, for example.)
    10-05-2010 05:56 AM
    Apps Organizer is limited. FolderOrganizer does all the old Palm app did and so much more. See the Getting Started link below for hundreds of tips and tricks. There is an entire section just on Folders.

It can change icons and allows many more icons per screen. Sorting apps into folders is just a matter of clicking which ones they go in.
    10-05-2010 07:32 AM
    Apps Organizer is limited. FolderOrganizer does all the old Palm app did and so much more.
    Alright, sorry, didn't know. Especially because I've never had a Palm.
    10-05-2010 07:59 AM
    Alright, sorry, didn't know. Especially because I've never had a Palm.
    No worries. AppOrganizer does help but the developer now has FOlderOrganizer that is a world better.

Here is a little more on FolderOrganizer taken from the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks section on Folders.

In homescreen below, Bookmarks, Tools, Media, Multimedia, Reference, Productivity, and Games are not apps but folders. Also note that FolderOrganize Shortcuts allowed the People and Internet Icons to be changed to Apple icons.

EVO with FolderOrganizer Folders & Icons and Earth Live Wallpaper
    Click to enlarge.

If you tap Tools, the tools folder pops up:

So in this example you are never more than 3 taps away from 140 apps, just tap Home > {folder} > {app}. That is as fast as any BlackBerry or Palm Treo.
    10-05-2010 10:43 AM
    Launcher Pro is awesome x
    10-05-2010 11:29 AM
    I believe that ADW.Launcher and Launcher Pro allow the creation of folders as well.

As for which to choose? It depends on preferences. ADW.Launcher is a solid open source project with a lot of great features and tweaks to the standard launcher. I used this for about 3 months before switching to Launcher Pro. I do miss some things, but Launcher Pro has a more active development team and implements features beyond a standard launcher IMO.
    10-05-2010 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD