Looking for IM app with Desktop/Device syncing

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I wish Google Talk was like Google Voice. Or, I wish that Google Voice had a better desktop app.

What I want is to be chatting on my desktop and be able to pick up and go with my device and not miss any of the chat.

With Google Talk, if you start on the desktop, you can't finish on the device.

With Google Voice, it syncs your desktop and device chats, but it doesn't give you a good desktop notification when you get a new message like Google Talk does.

Does anyone out there have a solution?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it is just me, but it doesn't look like the skype app is going to work well. I have to stay logged into the app (which is not a problem really, but I don't like the icon in the notification tray). Also, I am not getting audible alerts or vibraitons when I receive a message, even though I have those options checked.

I replied later in that Skype thread that I don't think it was going to work for what I want.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...as soon as I login to the app and pick my contact and choose "chat" the conversation I had going on my laptop syncs up and I'm looking at the latest comments (i.e. I don't have to stay logged into the app).

Not sure about notifications. I don't see a setting for that...on the BETA of Skype, I got the sound notification, but doesn't seem to be working on the new app. No idea about the notification bar, as I've never felt the need to remove anything from there.

There are lots of chat clients out there though for other IM programs. I only used Fring up until they removed Skype, then the Skype Beta.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...as soon as I login to the app and pick my contact and choose "chat" the conversation I had going on my laptop syncs up and I'm looking at the latest comments (i.e. I don't have to stay logged into the app).

Not sure about notifications. I don't see a setting for that...on the BETA of Skype, I got the sound notification, but doesn't seem to be working on the new app. No idea about the notification bar, as I've never felt the need to remove anything from there.

There are lots of chat clients out there though for other IM programs. I only used Fring up until they removed Skype, then the Skype Beta.

Thanks. Yes, the device/desktop sync is pretty good from what I see. But, if the device won't notify me when I have a new IM, it isn't any good to me. Maybe I'll try again. Maybe it needed a restart before notifications would work?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, I am noticing an unread message notification in my status bar now for Skype. Looks like a speech bubble with 3 lines in it. (still no sound/vibrate though, which would be the important part).

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
trillian is supposed to sync with the desktop so if you have the app open on the pc it will default all messages there instead of the device. Oddly i have not tried this but i have both installed.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
With Google Talk, if you start on the desktop, you can't finish on the device.

Wrong Wrong Wrong.

You can be in mid conversation, and switch platforms. I do it all the time.
Simple open the chat on the phone and close the desktop one. The chat follows you.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Wrong Wrong Wrong.

You can be in mid conversation, and switch platforms. I do it all the time.
Simple open the chat on the phone and close the desktop one. The chat follows you.

Wrong Wrong Wrong. ;):p That isn't continuing a chat on the other platform. That is ending the chat and starting a new one. The previous chat is lost, as opposed to Google Voice that keeps your old messages synced to both platforms.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20